2 Stories - Halibut Allocation - Comox Valley Record

Sushihunter

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_north/comoxvalleyrecord/news/119885909.html

NDP candidates criticizing halibut quota system
By Staff Writer - Comox Valley Record
Published: April 14, 2011 5:00 PM
Updated: April 14, 2011 5:48 PM

DFO’s halibut quota system is privatizing a public resource and hurting B.C.’s coastal economy, say NDP candidates Ronna-Rae Leonard and Nathan Cullen.

Leonard (Vancouver Island North) and Cullen (Skeena-Bulkley Valley) emphasize the need to maintain conservation of halibut stocks as the first priority.

“Conservation is paramount and any decisions around allocation and quota must be precautionary and based on sound science,” said Leonard in a news release Wednesday. “There must be a commitment from all sectors to effective monitoring and fish data collection.”

“We are seeing the valuable halibut fishery privatized and Canadian fishermen of all kinds are being shut out. Both commercial and sport fishermen are losing opportunities to access a public resource, in large part due to this Conservative government's policy of neglect,” said Cullen.

Increasingly, halibut quotas are being bought by private interests from outside the region and country and leased back to active commercial and recreational fishermen, they noted. Almost every pound of halibut caught commercially now has such a lease fee attached.

“For too long governments have treated our natural resources as some private stock that can be bought and sold without our knowledge or influence. That has to change,” added Leonard.

Cullen asserted that the quota system must be reformed so that more benefits go to active fishermen.

“One solution being proposed would see DFO take back quota from non-active quota holders and reallocate it to the active commercial and recreational sectors,” said Cullen. “This will give fishermen greater access to the resource, and ensure that more value stays with the people who catch the fish.”

Numerous town hall meetings on the halibut allocation issue have been held in communities throughout B.C. Cullen has also met with representatives from both the recreational and commercial sectors.

There are 436 commercial halibut license holders in B.C., with fewer than half actively fishing their quotas.

“The recreational sector has been raising these issues for seven years, and they feel their concerns have been ignored by this Conservative government, which has sat on the sidelines instead of being proactive” said Cullen. “The Harper government refuses to tell Canadians who owns our country’s fish.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_north/comoxvalleyrecord/lifestyles/119885049.html

Election good time for rational debate on halibut

Published: April 14, 2011 5:00 PM
Updated: April 14, 2011 5:20 PM

Lyle Pierce

Special to the Record

Recreational lodge and charter vessel interests are trying to make the federal government’s February decision to uphold a longstanding halibut allocation policy into an election issue, particularly on Vancouver Island.

The real question is whether we manage this public resource according to sound fisheries management that involves all stakeholders, or by who can get the most protesters in front of a TV camera, write the most letters to the editor, or fund extensive lobbying campaigns.

Political interference does not make for good fisheries management.

The February halibut decision upholds the 2003 division of Canada’s Total Allowable Catch between the two sectors, maintains recreational catch limits and establishes a pilot program to allow recreational interests to acquire additional quota. The decision also sets in place a process to examine options for 2012.

The 2003 halibut allocation decision was the result of a three-year, inclusive process. After independently facilitated meetings, the government retained an independent allocation advisor to meet with participants from both fisheries, and advise on sharing arrangements and how allocation could change over time.

Far from arbitrary, the halibut policy allocated commercial and recreational shares of 88 percent and 12 percent respectively, after First Nations rights have been met. It also proposed that recreational businesses should be able to acquire quota from the commercial sector to meet market demand.

The government’s recent decision allows the lodge and charter sector to grow, and Canadians with a B.C. tidal water recreational licence ($21 annually) can still catch a halibut every day. It also tasks parliamentary secretary Randy Kamp, MP for Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge-Mission, with drafting halibut management options for 2012.

It’s a transparent approach that’s in line with previous policy decisions, not one influenced by lobbying outside the process.

With Canada and the United States — signatories to the Pacific Halibut Treaty — in a cyclical period of low halibut abundance, conservation is vital to carefully managing the resource. Both countries have reduced allowable harvests for commercial and recreational sectors to avoid overfishing.

In B.C., allowable harvest limit for both sectors has declined from 13.24 million pounds in 2006 to 7.65 million pounds for 2011. These are difficult times for B.C.’s commercial halibut fishermen. In addition to high fuel prices and monitoring costs, we have seen our catch levels decrease by almost 43 per cent since 2006.

Commercial halibut fishermen understand the need to conserve the resource. We’re accountable for every fish we harvest, with each fish videotaped as it’s pulled from the water, recorded in a logbook, counted by a dockside monitor and tagged with a serial number to validate its origin.

The recreational fishery, with lodges and charters accounting for 60 to 70 per cent of the catch, has overfished its quota for three of the past four years.

Yet lodge and charter businesses want more fish at the expense of commercial fishermen and the Canadian public, most of whom buy halibut at grocery stores or in restaurants — not through trips to pricy fishing lodges.

The commercial halibut fishery has invested in the resource for over 100 years. We are the first fishery in B.C. to be certified by the Marine Stewardship Council as sustainable, with full support of the David Suzuki Foundation.

We match fleet size to harvest limits to reduce pressure on the resource, and count every single fish we catch.

Commercial halibut fishermen are ready to work within the process announced in February. Recreational fishermen should do the same.

Lyle Pierce is vice-president of the Pacific Halibut Management Association. He lives in Comox.

Lyle Pierce can suck my >>>>. What a goof. The guy is so out to lunch it's not funny. Bet he has a huge Duncan sign in his front yard.

Hello,,, Check, check,,, this is Lyle Pierce and I am vice-president of the Pacific Halibut Management Association, and,,,,,,
I AM SOFA KING WEE TODD ED
That I actually believe what I am saying! :D

This dude needs to crawl into a hole somewhere and stay there!

What I still cannot understand is how did the regular commercial fisherman get punted into a corner by the large fleet owners and is only given the crumbs This big corporate fleet system is BULLSHEET! The quotas should be given to individual boats and is good for the season and NOT carried over, NOT sold or leased, boats must be inspected for size and actual owners. If the craft is not safe or viable for fishing then NO quota. No more crap about big corporations cutting out the small guy, they would have to wait in line and be part of the chain NOT THE CHAIN! Before the DFO got involved in the East Coast fisheries, this was a viable way of earning a living, and it was screwed up. Now they are doing the same.
Our farms are suffering the same death at the hands of the government if stopping this is Communism the let it be!

Cant say i disagree with either article. i did drive by and notice an ndp sign though.

This excerpt from Lyle Pierce's article:

The recreational fishery, with lodges and charters accounting for 60 to 70 per cent of the catch, has overfished its quota for three of the past four years.

Yet lodge and charter businesses want more fish at the expense of commercial fishermen and the Canadian public, most of whom buy halibut at grocery stores or in restaurants — not through trips to pricy fishing lodges.

The part that bothers me in his letter is the convenient exclusion of the fact that upwards of 90+% of the Commercially caught Halibut is EXPORTED to other countries. That portion is not even available to Canadian citizens at the "grocery stores" or in the "Restaurants" OR at the "Pricey Fishing Lodges" OR if you want to go out and put a hook in the water to try to catch it by yourself!!! It is on peoples tables in other countries, while there is an obvious demand for a higher % of the TAC for the Sport fishing sector to be able to fish for a complete season. He is not telling the complete truth:confused:, it seems to me that it is biased to confuse the un-informed citizen.

i think both sides have been pushing their own view on things. I have not seen the recreational side boast about the corruption going on in that fishery.

Courier-Islander
April 15, 2011

Over the years, I have been reading one sided misinformation from writers who support money making commercial charter and lodge operations over the 88/12 split in the halibut industry.

There are accusations of "Slipper Skippers" and a public resource being given to commercial fisherman for free.

Who are the biggest "Slipper Skippers?" Maybe it's the owner of eight, 44 ft. commercial lodge charter boats packing 20-30 customers in Ukee Harbour?

Maybe the owner of a fleet of 20 or so high-speed aluminum charter boats at Langara Lodge? Or maybe some lodges in-between? I am not too sure.

I wonder how many pounds of halibut cross their docks, and how much money is made each year. I know it's more than a lot of commercial fisherman own or earn.

First Nations people own a large portion (17 per cent) of the commercial quota and licenses. The commercial fisherman have been fishing halibut for 100 years, long before any charter boats and lodges were ever thought of.

The vast majority of commercial fisherman have been selling or purchasing their licenses since the DFO first issued them in 1979. They have earned it through years and years of blood, sweat and tears, and sometimes death.

Nobody got their halibut quota for free.

Thirty years ago commercial halibut licenses were capped at 435 vessels with length restrictions for conservation reasons. So answer these questions: Are there any restrictions on how many commercial sport lodges can be built?

Are there any restrictions on how big a charter vessel can be?

Or are there any restrictions on how big of a fleet of boats one lodge can operate? Also, how many people those vessel are able pack?

I think most people know the answers. There are zero restrictions in the growing commercial sport industry.

To take halibut quota from the commercial and First Nations fisherman who have helped model one of the best run and most accountable fisheries in the world, and give it to a growing commercial sport industry with very little history, no caps, no charter vessel length restrictions, and no accountability for their by-catch or actual numbers seems absolutely ludicrous!

The commercial halibut fishermen are accountable for every pound of halibut and by-catch caught. BC commercial and First Nations fishermen have seen their allowable catch levels reduced by approximately 47 per cent since 2007.

The commercial charter and lodge industry is growing out of control and needs some restrictions applied like all other industries in Canada. They can make it work. They need to come to the table and figure out a way to trade, rent or buy quota from the commercial and First Nations fishermen in years of low stock abundance.

Instead of trying to take it through political lobbying and false accusations in news papers and emails.

The halibut industry should be separated into three categories: commercial, sport commercial and recreational.

Glen Johnston

Ignore them-- the energy is better spent now on the politicians-- thats where change will come from

Back