Towing Oversized Boat

Russfest

Hi all, New to this forum, read it a few times but havent joined till now.

Have a few questions if anyone is able to answer.

I have bought a 2850 Bayliner Bounty. 27 6 registered length (longer in reality when you take into account swim grid, etc), and 10'4" Beam. Comes with a Highliner Trailer built for the boat, in 1991.

I cant find in all the papers and surveys I have on it the weight of it, but according to the original brochure its 7200lbs, and found online a similar vessel at 8000lbs. So under the 10,000lb limit and good with my class 5 I am assuming on weight.

However.. how does it work with the Beam? The trailer is ok on the width, but the sides of the vessel are, um, 10'4". The person I have bought it off, used to have the trailer insured, but every time he moved the boat, he would call in and get a $5 permit. This was from 92-95. Since then the boat has been stored indoors until two years ago when it was been stored outside.
Does anybody know how it works today for towing a boat like this? I admit Ive been looking into many other things, and have an email into ICBC, but so far no answer. Is there anywhere else I can be contacting for the correct information?

The trailer was built with Vacuum Brakes as it was built in 91. I bought all of the stuff required to convert it to Electric over Hydraulic from Vacuum. Including a new brake controller for my truck, as Ive only needed it for electric brakes on my car trailer, and its apparently no good for both electric, and electric over hydraulic.
I have all new tires for the trailer. Going to check the brakes and repack the bearings before the trek home.

My truck is a 2006 Diesel 3500 MegaCab.

Is there anything Im missing or should be concerned about towing this vessel home?

I appreciate the Feedback guys.
Russ

Well a $5 permit wouldn't be bad if it was moored....
Would suck if you needed a pilot though.

That's a fat bass tard.

Pull into any commercial scale (without the boat) or phone one and ask,
they are the guys (dot and cvse)you have to worry about pulling you over.
I drive commercially and technically anything over 8.5 feet wide needs a permit unless your a logger and I dont think
piling some trees on top would qualify you, but seriously call any commercial scale they are always really helpful in that manner, port mann scale is 604-581-7362
good luck,
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you need a wide load sign front of your truck and back of the boat but go into the weigh scale with out and ask them what the regs are they will sure tell you

springtime is right you'll probably need oversize banners front and rear

Thank you for the replies!
Lipripper, it will be going into a marina eventually. Right now I want to get it home from the island, into the backyard, so I can go over it. Trailering will be handy when I do the yearly trek to Port Hardy, and on to Rivers Inlet.

gidyup and springtime, thanks for the info on who to contact. I will do that Monday. Googling and waiting on a reply from ICBC hasnt been very informative so far. I did read somewhere while googling about having to have a sign on the front of the truck and rear, as well as having red ribbons on the side overhangs front and rear both sides.

Ill post back when I find out anything.. However if anyone else knows anything or wants to add something please do!

next problem is I think you have to book/reserve oversize ahead of time with BC ferries if your trailering it over

I had an issue similar to this with a trailer I brought to BC when I moved here in 2000. Gidyup is correct. All it took for me was a call to the scale in the area and they told me everything I needed to know. They even arranged for me to take it down and have it weighed and the axles checked for capacity before I went to ICBC to transfer it to BC registration and insurance. Very helpful bunch of people.

not if your a commercial guy they are not they are a holes

I find about 50/50 I usually get it at the port mann, eastbound are A* holes and west bound generally pretty nice,
and I avoid Nordel like the Plague

Hey Russ,
I'm new here too, but I've been a builder for a while. We've moved boats of 15' beam (40-45 LOA) on the roads with a phoned-in permit.
The rig has banners on it, so does the pilot, and there are time restrictions of when we can be on the road so it doesn't impact local traffic so badly.
If you need to use a pilot, make sure it's someone who's confident in doing the job - they are there to make a hole in traffic big enough for you to get through.

10' beam will fit one lane so I don't know if you need a pilot or not.

I believe you have to buy a permit to tow overwidth boats and I think it is 300 a year. Not sure but don't be surprised but what I am sure of - if you have an electric brake controller in your truck for a trailer or 5th wheel it will most certainly will work for an electo-hydraulic boat trailer. I converted my electric trailer brakes to electo/hydraulic-use the same controller for my 5th wheel as my boat trailer-however there are different models of electro/hydraulic brakes from the same companies with differing hook-ups. Make sure you get the correct one.

Hey, sorry didnt get back earlier, busy week.

Called a scale place. Guy didnt seem to think it was a big deal. Biggest concern of his was to find out if I had surge brakes, which I didnt.

Under 10'6" you dont need signs on front or back of your vehicle. All you require is a phone in permit (15 per day or 30 per month), and flags on the front and back of the boat on each side. At night I would need an amber in the front and.. cant remember the colour for the back, on each side.

Over 10'6" he said is much more involved.

Trailer has to be insured, and the permit number to call in (24 hour) is 1-800-559-9688.

Well made it home to my yard in vancouver. It wasnt too bad of a trek from Port Alberni to home.

The older brake controller performed flawlessly once I figured out how to adjust it. Im going to return the Teckonsha P3 I didn't use. I could use the brakes on the trailer and truck when slowing the boat and truck down. As I was coming down the hump from Port to the Island Highway, didn't see the brakes billowing smoke. The actuator I installed on it worked great, took me and my brother two hours to remove the old vacuum unit and install the new electric over hydraulic.

Permit was 15 for the day. Three red flags per side of the boat, and the lady asked me specifically what highways I was driving on. I did have to reserve on the ferry, which cost me for the two of us, boat, truck, etc... 315.

Now that its home, I just bought a 12 x 27 "temporary" carport for the boat, and am fighting to put it up.

Thanks to all the help from everyone that replied or even read the thread.

Russ B

Well made it home to my yard in vancouver. It wasnt too bad of a trek from Port Alberni to home.

The older brake controller performed flawlessly once I figured out how to adjust it. Im going to return the Teckonsha P3 I didn't use. I could use the brakes on the trailer and truck when slowing the boat and truck down. As I was coming down the hump from Port to the Island Highway, didn't see the brakes billowing smoke. The actuator I installed on it worked great, took me and my brother two hours to remove the old vacuum unit and install the new electric over hydraulic.

Permit was 15 for the day. Three red flags per side of the boat, and the lady asked me specifically what highways I was driving on. I did have to reserve on the ferry, which cost me for the two of us, boat, truck, etc... 315.

Now that its home, I just bought a 12 x 27 "temporary" carport for the boat, and am fighting to put it up.

Thanks to all the help from everyone that replied or even read the thread.

Russ B

Glad you got it home ok, now lets see some pics of the beast.

^I second that, love working on boats and the bigger ones mean more work haha

Boat 2.jpgBoat 1.jpg

Attempting to add pictures. I completely forgot about this post..
Ill add some more tomorrow when I get a chance at my camera.

Havent done too much to it, other then buy stuff and plan.

When do ya need a large license plate registered to your trailer
I got a 15000 lbs trailer & run a dinky trailer PLT

Am I running legal cuz my plate size iz inn antiquate

I herd that to qualify for the proper plate I have to pass Motor Vehicle inspection

So sorry if I'm elivating from the original Post

Kh

Back