Toquart bay

spring fever

Drove in to Toquart bay yesterday on the way back from a visit to Tofino. Pretty reasonable ramp-anybody had any experience fishing out of there. I understand there are spots for crab and prawns and I suppose the usual spots out of Ukie work for salmon. Any salmon closer to the ramp? How busy is the ramp during the season? How about the Marina slips. Any help would be appreciated.

Love Toquart!!!
Just don't tell anybody:) There has been a commercial crabber along the beach front in years past that keeps the crab pop under check. We have caught salmon all over from toquart...swale is just around the corner, everything is similar to other areas, clams oysters, prawns...yada,yada,yada.
The ramp can get busy as lotsa people from salmon beach launch from toquart. The finger docks have been a great addition to the campground.
The area is managed as a forest campground by the Toquat Band...there is a website with contact info.

Many good memories of Toquart Bay

Getbent

Hi Guys I'm new to the forum. How is the road into Toquart. I have a 17and a half foot Crestliner with a 90 HP and a Honda 8 kicker. I took it to Port Renfrew last year which was great but I would like something a little more sheltered. How is the camping there?
Thanks Greg

The last time I was on this gravel road to Toquart Bay is about 2 years ago. This road is ok with lots of holes. Driving slowly down to this Bay would be a good idea. I used to fish at Toquart Bay before...perfect place for 12-14 aluminum boats and bigger boats as well.

That black sand gets into everything, it'll take a year to get it out of your boat. LOL.
Make sure you have some charts or gps, if you run over to Mayne Bay or Lyall point you want to keep to the left on the way out follow the markers. There are some shallow spots to the right.(By the islands)
Crabbing is so so. Fishing we found is hit or miss, same as the rest of the sound.
Dan

Just for info -the gravel road was not bad-good for the last 4 km. I would take my 24 ft glass boat in with some rock protection for the bow. The road in the lower campground has been erroded in places. Heavy construction-soil cleaning taking place close to the store on the reservation -watch for heavy trucks. This was the 25 feb/2010

Hay Spring. The name & phone # to Toquart bay campground is Bruce 250-726-8349 . He runs campground.You can book spot at marina in advance. Its about $100. a week for 24' boat. $10-15 aday. As far as I know there has been a company hired to maintain road last year. There has been major work done with hard pan put down and lighter gravel up top last 2 years.
This time of year you could fish Main bay/ swail. One of our guy's from salmon beach caught 45lb spring in march at Swail 2 years ago.
I have cuaght 8/14/19/22 lbers this time of year in past at swail.
Seams to slow down in July when water warms up. Then we go offshore
too the big playground.Toquart bay store also has large fuel tank & propane which comes in handy. Just ask Bruce what the hours are. They tend to change but if he is around he normally takes care of ya.
Hope this helps. Slickwater.

Thanks for the info Slickwater. I had a look at Salmon Beach while I was there-quite the community-I had no idea it existed-looks like an ideal way to pass the summer-truly beautiful!!

Hey everyone. I manage the campground and marina at Toquart Bay and live out here all year so here's the scoop. The construction on the main road is pretty well finished up now and the trucks aren't hauling fill into Macoah so the grading should keep it in good shape. Last year it was excellent because we didn't get a lot of rain to make the potholes. 2009 was a huge season for fishing with lots of big ones coming in. The commercial crabber was out for the season an people were catching more crabs than they could keep legally. He's in there right now but says he's pulling out again for the summer. Go to our website at www.toquartbay.com and check out the photos. Should be adding a photo gallery this spring as well. We do take reservations for the campground but don't wait too long cuz it gets crazy in July & August. Look forward to hearing from you! Better to email but if you call the best time is in the evenings when I'm at home. 250-726-8349

Kahuna, trying to email but it bounces back (mailbox full??). Please fix and PM me. I need some info ASAP. Thanks.

I love the "Broken Group" and am little familiar with that area! :)
But, it has been a few years, since I have been that far in... and does Toquart now have gas? That would be a good thing to know!

I second the, “Make sure you have some charts or gps” super nice area and easy to forget about the “ROCKS”! Personally if I was leaving the marina going to Lyall Point (to catch a fish), I would head for the south end of Hermit (between 135-145 degrees mag). Southend of Hermit, cut straight to the “red” light/beacon - that area is clear. But hey, what do I know… the last “rock” I hit was putt’n around in the Broken Group Islands. There are shallow spots and rocks all over the area, and "all" rocks are not charted!

Crabbing and prawning… depends on the commercials… usually can find enough, at least for me!

Mudslide, if you want something that is more sheltered waters than outside of Port Renfrew - you will love it there! Are you talking camping with a trailer or tent? If tent - about anywhere in the Broken Group is good and have beach access by boat. Just find a nice little cove and start exploring!

Spring fever fishing spots… check your email! :D:D

hey the only spots i know is pill point an swale rock was there twice last year an got one small spring is it true about hit an miss or im totally lost lol

Sure brings back memories. I remember Toquart from back in 1990, before it became semi-civilized! The area was still under the stewardship of MacMillan Bloedel at the time. I worked for a consulting firm that specialized in monitoring commercial and sports salmon fishing effort under DFO. They sent me to TB to do creel survey work for a couple days. It was kinda surreal to be driving along a lonely logging road for a good hour and see NOBODY and then suddenly encounter a VILLAGE of RV's! The fishing was productive, so productive that some guys went out for a second helping. Canning salmon away from home was still allowed. I saw quite a few big canning operations going on, lots of fish going back across the border. Of course the rules have changed since then.

I remember a little bit in mid 1970's, Toquart Bay was once filled up with campers and 12-14 ft alumium boats on the sandy beaches. there were no stores and moorages at this time.

i was out there last tuesday till thursday, when it was unreal! like a few have said, its hit or miss, but when its going its great!...offshore isnt too far away if you can get out there and the wind is almost always a guaruntee in the afternoon...but theres soo much to see and do if you have the time!!!..highly recommend it!

play'em and slay'em

Heading out there may 6th. Can anyone tell me how the road in is or what I could expect? Thanks.

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

Road is in best shape its ever been in.
They are regularly grading road and its getting harder all the time. still some pot holes like any gravel road. Mostly by bridges where people seem to brake for some reason.
Take your time your on vacation.
Enjoy

Back