TOONA SHOOTOUT!! - Bamfield September 22,23,24

Great report dak! Congrats to you and your crew. Must of been pretty cool to get into them right off the bat especially if you were worried about the weather coming up. Can't wait to see a pic of the launched boat!!!

Right effin on. Nice fish and thanks for sharing.
GLG

Very cool,, looking forward to next years shoot /
-out

Dak and Biz run for Alby

To further Daks story, we were the accompanying boat from Vancouver. When all the locals backed out, our FEARLESS 22' Aluminum paved the way. Not to poke fun, but the big Glasser trailed our wake through the dark ;).PA073604.jpgPA073647.jpgPA073612.jpg

The ride out was as described, rough. Passing a few spooky trees lurking just shy of the surface. The seas were alive with life approaching 45 miles out, and the water changed to a beautiful tropical blue. Temps spiked and it was time to drop 'em. Dak called for gear in the water, and after a quick leak by the Captain, we were into the shock of our life. TUNA ON THE LINE! The rod was banging and the reel was screaming. A quick arm and leg burner and we had our first Alby on the deck. A radio check to Dak and he had a pair. 10 minutes passed and our rod slammed and screamed again. A radio check, there 4 to our 2. Then....it got wild.

Radio checks were left silent as all the rods were screaming loud. With 3 Fisherman on the boat, we were left spinning circles fighting triple headers on more then one occasion. Not a chance for a bevvy or a smoke, the Alby's were relentless. To try and describe each fish is impossible, as at one time, there were 4 slabs of meat slapping the deck, showering us with blood, while fighting a triple. There was enough time to stick the pig, and get back to the rods.

We fished hard for a little less than 3 hours, ending up in the area of 55miles offshore. By our last fish, we all agreed to bring it in single handedly was laughable at best. Rods were passed off frequently when arms and legs fell weak.

Trolling hard through the strikes (10km/h) without slowing down to land them, we had a bumper fishing experience, totalling 23 fish on board, exceeding 480 lbs of fish. The largest was the second fish, a tank at 35lbs, with another at 33lbs.

Burning at most 150 liters in fuel it was definately a productive fishing trip.

A big THANK YOU must be paid to the good people of Bamfield. Rolling into town after hours, we were shocked and impressed to see how willing people were to help us out, going beyond the normal call of duty.

Special thanks to:

Don @ Imperial Eagle Lodge. The accomodations were beautiful and the help with moving gear was not forgotten, especially AFTER fishing (when we could hardly move).

Gerry @ Mills Landing. Put up Dak and the boys, and supplied us with the necessary ice needed to cool those hot Albys.

The Lovely Rose (and Dude) @ Breakers Marine. Stored our boat for next to nothing while we waited for the weather to turn (it took 3 weeks for the seas to let up), and made sure we had the room to haul it out of their lot, 2 hours after closing.

Dak and the Alberta Boys. Only a fool heads out alone. Thanks for being there!

and lastly, the Mensa Men of Tuna, Osama and TunaDon. Without your knowledge, advice, and know-how, we would have been left empty handed both in fish, and in the experience of a lifetime. As I type, I shake from just thinking about what our boat went through. You are truly Men among the Minions. Thank You!

oh, and thanks to Jodi and Jeff for letting a few strangers into your home for the evening. We greatly appreciate the hospitality!

Thanks for the story FB. That's freakin awesome!!! Good on ya for gettin it done. A few more addicts are born ha ha.
Cheers,
Sculpin

Nice write-up FB, it brings back some vivid images. We figured you had night vision goggles the way you were plowing through the dark! Would have bobbed and waited for daylight had you not taken the lead. Thanks!

Please send me the pics of the boat when you have a minute.

Great write-up. One of these days the fishing gods will make this happen for me!!!

Just love it when a plan comes together even if it's someones else plan.
Thanks for the story. Almost feels like I'm there next to the lines.
GLG

Nice write-up FB, it brings back some vivid images. We figured you had night vision goggles the way you were plowing through the dark! Would have bobbed and waited for daylight had you not taken the lead. Thanks!

Please send me the pics of the boat when you have a minute.

check your email shortly....i will send the best ones over as we were bouncin' pretty hard out there and a few are out of focus, or of randm sky shots when i was tossed onto my butt haha.

....there in a few

having some troubles finding your business card. Just shoot me an email :

Nick-

norex@shaw.ca

Last edited by a moderator:
who is doing tuna charters would like to line somebody up for next year ??? what is the estimated cost more than a sallmon hali trip??

tuna charters are a little more effort as far as insurance and transport canada are concerned,, we are all insured up to 25 miles off shore, but need to have a 60 tonne ticket to get insured to go further... once again the argument of the gap between 5gt and 60 gt.... pisses me off to no end!!! so i only will tuna with friends wink wink and no real monies will exchanged. wink wink...

Try this.

HymaxCharters.com

Greg is a very fun guy to fish with , his boat is very well kept and capable.

Good Luck

Monk

Wonder why he advertises twenty five miles?

Back