TOONA SHOOTOUT!! - Bamfield September 22,23,24

Probably advertises 25 miles because that's the end of insurance for us unless he has his 60 ton.

I will be taking said course this winter and should I be clever enough to obtain said ticket than yes - I will offer tuna charters next year!

I've got a great idea... just need some bux!

Mods thanks for keeping the thread as clean as can be, lotsa landlocked haters out there!!! Bankmaggots with broken Zebcos and not enough money to toss in the station wagon to get to the local creek I guess!! LOL!!

He has 60 t.

Under picture top left.

Went for Tuna last year on Hymax. Most fun I have ever had fishing.

Tried this year but weather work timing did not work . Maybe last week of Oct.

La Prouse hit 57f yesterday might still work.

Anyone doing tuna charters needs clients that can drop everthing and get there.

IMHO

Monk

Last edited by a moderator:
... maybe next year Nog?

Simply got Swamped with the number of salmon charters Lorne. Not surprising once word of just how good the springs and coho were right into mid-September! And of course when that started to wind down, the weather decided to put a damper on far offshore runs for a long enough period I simply abandoned the thought. Really wanted to, been there, know the gig, and LOVE IT!! :D

I will be taking said course this winter and should I be clever enough to obtain said ticket than yes - I will offer tuna charters next year!

We should chat soon Rabbi. I expect Dirt Dawg, myself and at least one other to be taking the 60T course this winter as well. We should collaborate on our efforts and see what we can do in terms of price and location. Of course anyone else that might be interested is welcome to join in - the more the merrier, and should we get sufficient numbers perhaps we can actually lever something in our favor that way...

Methinks we'll all pass that Ticket Buddy. We've all got the experience, and working together we can get this accomplished!

A little tough to line up all the ducks in a row - need the weather to cooperate and the fish have to be reasonably close to make it work. But methinks we can expect that to occur several times over the season. Only concern I have with booking charters is the Crystal Ball Gazing to determine timing of those. I suppose we could look at a general time frame, and run when we can...

Already discussed internally with our Crew, and there is a LOT of interest both there and with a good handful of clients. Up to us now to Make It So! :)

Cheers,
Nog

Without me having to talk to my marine insurance broker what is the scoop for non charter boater's heading out that far? Someone already mentioned as certain distance for regular marine insurance. If I'm going to go farther is there a floater etc. one can add to their general package?

Yes , you need to add this to your pleasure insurance. Same rule... Pacific waters up to 25 miles. I added it to mine years ago. Price difference was only 30 bucks annually. If you have your power squadron their may be no increase. Definately let your insurer know. It closes the loop-holes that they could use to deny you a legit claim.

Yes , you need to add this to your pleasure insurance. Same rule... Pacific waters up to 25 miles. I added it to mine years ago. Price difference was only 30 bucks annually. If you have your power squadron their may be no increase. Definately let your insurer know. It closes the loop-holes that they could use to deny you a legit claim.

Thanks. I will be talking to them next spring when I renew.

It really isn’t a question of “if” they might… they flat-out “won’t” pay! Read you policies! Insurance companies limit where you can go and what you can do and still be covered, period. Outside those requirements, it is simple – NOT COVERED!

What you are looking for is something like this, “covered on all inland lakes, rivers and navigable waterways of the continental United States and Canada, including ocean waters within 50 miles from the coast of the U.S. or Canada.” Note: If by chance you decide to go to Mexico, you have to have a whole seperate rider for coverage there. I actually have Coastal Navigation to 75 Nautical Miles at no additional cost.

charlie,, if you dont mind, who is your insurer? i have it with beacon. they where glad to take my money, to add the rider for an additional 25 miles,, might up it to 75 tho to cover tooner hunting, i added mine just for the fact of rats nose and areas that are 30 miles out...

I really suggest reading those policies, as I use to have ACE and while reading the poicy it specifically excluded anywhere outside the mouth of Strait of Juan de Fuca and above the 50th Parallel. I had to jump through hoops and provide copies of all my Coast Guard certifications. Then after about six months of calling and waiting, I finally got a rider. The rider authorized the entire west coast of U.S. and Canada. They didn't put a mileage restriction on it, but did limit it to me only going offshore during the months from June through September.

I switched to Progressive a few years ago and their standard policy came with 50 nautical miles. They allow it to be upped to 75 natical miles, at no charge. They will also increase that mileage if needed. Lower deductible and cheaper, also! :)

I guess, it is what one calls Rat's Nose and what one calls near? From the shoreline from Cape Beale to N48 35.500 W125 39.300 would be approximately 21 nautical miles! :)

Dolphin insurance extended my policy to include the coastal waters of BC up to 200 miles with no additional premium. great company to deal with. Ask to talk with Dean.

Dolphin insurance extended my policy to include the coastal waters of BC up to 200 miles with no additional premium. great company to deal with. Ask to talk with Dean.

Great info dak. I sure hope I don't have to go to the 200 line for those addicting critters. Better to have to much coverage I guess. Thanks for the post.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Almost 15 and a half thousand views!!!!

Jeff your thread kicks azz man:cool:.

I've found lot's of sources for cedar plug's online. Lot's of cool painted ones too. Can't wait for next year. Looking into live bait possibilities as well. Anyone know of local sources for live bait besides catching your own? Anchovie or Herring?

Back