tomic spoons

C

catcher

I just picked up a bunch of 5" tomic spoons. what length leader do most guys run 60"?

thanks

I run my leader length on spoons from 36 to 42 in , tune your action according to the flasher your are tagging it to or run it with no flasher and adjust your speed for the darting and wiggling action , I use a heavier test to provide a more stiff action which will impart a whip to the spoon also.

AL

I like to run Tomic spoons with longer leaders: 48 to 72 inches, especially when using bigger spoon sizes. Use a heavier leader, 40- to 80-pound test, to give the spoon a real snap behind the flasher. Don't give salmon too much time to inspect your offering, troll big spoons at higher speeds:3.5 up to 4.5 mph. If you have lots of uncrowded water (like on the WCVI), run your flasher and spoon a good 75 to 100 feet behind the downrigger clip, but separate the depths between the port and starboard by 25 feet.

quote:Originally posted by catcher

I just picked up a bunch of 5" tomic spoons. what length leader do most guys run 60"? thanks

I use 60# Triplefish line for a leader and run about 6' - whatever the distance between my two outstretched hands is.

This way, I can hook them up with or without a flasher.

When there are lots of Coho around, I run one about 50 or 60' behind the boat, on the surface. Lots of fun when it gets smacked! I also run Tomic plugs and herring in Krippled Anchovy teaserheads this way.

Triplefish perlon = prestretched nylon :)))))))

great tip

use that for your hootchies also.

quote:Originally posted by tomictime

Triplefish perlon = prestretched nylon :)))))))

great tip

use that for your hootchies also.

I thought the Triplefish 60# is just regular mono...

I also use it for hoochies. I use it for anything I would put behind a flasher, except teaserheads as I find it just a little to big, for bait, I use 40# Maxima or Berkley Big Game.

For real snap behind a flasher, try the new fluorocarbon leader materials from Berkley or Maxima in 40-pound test. They're really stiff, and a ***** to snell, but that stiffness translates to good transmission of action from the flasher to the spoon, bait , or hoochie. Flurocarbon is almost totally invisible in water and has great wet strength. Only drawback is cost :(

Back