Tohatsu opinions?

Erick

Just bought a boat with a 2012 Tohatsu 115 two stroke motor. 300ish hours. Haven’t found many bad things said about them on line but I don’t know anyone that’s owned one. Any thoughts? Good or bad appreciated.
Thanks

I have a 90 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu on my 17 Hourston and love it. Bought it new about 7 years ago. It has been an excellent motor for us. Lots of power and has been very reliable. I suspect the corrosion resistance on some of the external components will prove to be perhaps not as good as others over time, but I’m very happy with it. Japanese engineering and manufacturing at a significantly lower cost.

The only issue now, for me, is that Otter Marine (from whom I bought it and who did my initial warranty service) is now closed. I don’t know who would provide service in the lower mainland if/when I have a problem I can’t deal with myself.

I have a 90 hp 2 stroke Tohatsu on my 17 Hourston and love it. Bought it new about 7 years ago. It has been an excellent motor for us. Lots of power and has been very reliable. I suspect the corrosion resistance on some of the external components will prove to be perhaps not as good as others over time, but I’m very happy with it. Japanese engineering and manufacturing at a significantly lower cost.

The only issue now, for me, is that Otter Marine (from whom I bought it and who did my initial warranty service) is now closed. I don’t know who would provide service in the lower mainland if/when I have a problem I can’t deal with myself.
Great info! Thanks a lot!

I bought a 20hp tohatsu 20" with electric start and charging. opted against the power trim as they rust out on the smaller outboards. its just tohatsu's lack of installing better parts in that area of their portables. Was told you can't even use the trim while underway its either all the way up or down. On the bigger 25hp+ I would assume the components are better designed as they trim while under way.

As for service your better off doing everything yourself

Last edited:
Someone told me that all Mercury outboards under 30 hp are basically rebadged Tohatsu. I know that the Mercury 9.9 on my previous boat was made in Japan.

great motors! I have a 90hp 2 stroke and a 9.8 4 stroke kicker on my 16’ double eagle. Zero complaints. Maple marine in langley is a tohatsu dealer/service centre.

From Wikipedia:

1956 ushered in the production of the first Tohatsu Outboards (1.5 hp).[7] Since then, Tohatsu outboards have served a variety of marketplaces: commercial fishing, military, marine transport, surf life saving, recreation and competition racing. They are the second largest producer of outboards in the world.[8]

Tohatsu produces outboards sold under their own brand, as well as for other companies. For instance, all Nissan outboard engines sold in North America were Tohatsus with a Nissan decal.[9] In 1988 Tohatsu and Brunswick Corporation set up a joint venture named Tohatsu Marine Corporation.[10][11]

In 2011, Tohatsu and Evinrude Outboard Motors made a deal to make smaller engines ranging from 15 HP and down with Evinrude decals.[12]

Back