Toba Inlet

TheHurtLocker

Found these pics on my camera I forgot about. Toba Inlet and Waddington Channel on the Sept long weekend. Fishing was slow but a great weekend with Leftcoast.
IMG_0562.jpgIMG_0564.jpgIMG_0565.jpgIMG_0567.jpgIMG_0573.jpg

No pictures of my catch? Weather was awesome what a place! How many sleeps until derby,

Does toba have a run of big early springs? Similar to the big whites that go up Bute.

Lots of BIG grimsley bears up those rivers, but a whole lot of great fly fishing if you can get access to a truck or jet boat.

Huge white springs up the Homathko, or at least there was at one point.

Lots of BIG grimsley bears up those rivers, but a whole lot of great fly fishing if you can get access to a truck or jet boat.

Huge white springs up the Homathko, or at least there was at one point.

There definitely still is... Hard to come by in the spring and then protected in the summer so people can't pick them off in a terminal fishery. A few really good fish get caught every May/June.

I was planning a trip to Knight Inlet in a 26 footer this past June, my Dad and his friends have shown me some pictures of some serious hogs taken from there in the 80s and 90s. When I spoke to the knight inlet wildlife viewing lodge to see if we could use their dock to fly in a friend, they told me that no one had been fishing in the area for springs for "years".

I had another bank breaking trip planned for the summer anyway so we scuttle the Knight trip, but this thread got me wondering if anyone can refute the lodges claim?

Sorry for the hijack, hurtlocker.

I did some work at Knights Inlet Lodge and asked the guys about the fishing... They put almost zero effort into fishing, there's absolutely no guided trips from the lodge and the staff don't really bother trying for salmon during there free time. It sure did sound like an amazing place in its day though.. there was awesome salmon fishing almost year round I guess?? The lodge does lots of salmon enhancement work but I think it's mainly coho that return right into Glendale cove for the grizzles to snack on. Amazing lodge! Very very successful..

I have for a long time wondered about exploring fishing opportunities in these 3 southern Georgia Straight inlets:

If the inlets up north are so amazing, why not these? Have they been plagued by logging and hydro-electric projects that the more northern inlets (Rivers etc.) have not? Salmon inlet must have gotten it's name from somewhere.. Could we cut-plug in the glacial waters along it's shores and wrassle 50+lb'ers? Does the Clowhom river even have a run of chinooks? who knows?? not me, that's for sure.. but it would be pretty cool to give it a try sometime.

You'll be very very disappointed fishing for salmon in Salmon Inlet, trust me.. logging, hydro and salmon farms have really hurt those inlets.

I started a thread on Smith Inlet (directly south of Rivers) and i think it would be fun to explore for fish. But it's closed for the prime time summer months.....

Knights inlet can still be great.
Last week of June first 2 of July.
The fish there are mostly on their way out after following a smelt run up there earlier in the spring.
No need to go too far up.
Fish the shoreline between Minstral Island and Hoya sound.
I was planning a trip to Knight Inlet in a 26 footer this past June, my Dad and his friends have shown me some pictures of some serious hogs taken from there in the 80s and 90s. When I spoke to the knight inlet wildlife viewing lodge to see if we could use their dock to fly in a friend, they told me that no one had been fishing in the area for springs for "years".

I had another bank breaking trip planned for the summer anyway so we scuttle the Knight trip, but this thread got me wondering if anyone can refute the lodges claim?

Sorry for the hijack, hurtlocker.

I have for a long time wondered about exploring fishing opportunities in these 3 southern Georgia Straight inlets:

If the inlets up north are so amazing, why not these? Have they been plagued by logging and hydro-electric projects that the more northern inlets (Rivers etc.) have not? Salmon inlet must have gotten it's name from somewhere.. Could we cut-plug in the glacial waters along it's shores and wrassle 50+lb'ers? Does the Clowhom river even have a run of chinooks? who knows?? not me, that's for sure.. but it would be pretty cool to give it a try sometime.

the Clowhorn was dammed very near the salt decades ago...it now has miles of pristine spawning beds with no access to the ocean. There were two run of the river projects completed there recently.
It is a gorgeous river, but barren of salmon

Back