Timeing for Prince Rupert

C

Calgary Guy

Hey all.
I have spent some time fishing Kano inlet over in the QCI. This year however we will be out of Rupert.

My question is this. If you were looking for Quantity not Quality in Chinooks when would go?
If it was the other way around when you go?
Hali is also nice but the priority is Chinooks.

I had always thought the end of June beginning of July would be SUPER prime time.. But our guide is pushing for End of May beginning of June..
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Calgary Guy

End of May seems a bit early to me. Down in Hardy they don't start coming in the hordes until July...with decent numbers from mid June. Is he just trying to book an empty spot? Then again...I'm sure he knows Rupert well...so maybe just go with what he says.

David

Not a guide or expert fisherman by any means but have caught chinook during the time your guide recommends. I have also been skunked on a guided trip as far as salmon go but limited out on halibut. Our first trip of the year to the coast is usually May long weekend. There are many guides out of Rupert some excellent and some not so good. Check his reputation if you can. At the dock in Rupert you can watch the guide boats comming in, some of them come in with limits and some come in having been skunked. I talked to a group of guys that were going out on a charter with the same one they had the previous year with great success unfortunately they were skunked on the second trip.

Although I can’t speak directly for Rupert I can speak to the North Coast area having spent years guiding in the QCIs.

My favourite time of year has always been mid June for quantity. The best part for me about fishing this time of year is that you know that most hits/bites are springs. Many of these fish are in the cookie-cutter range of 16-22 pounds but there are plenty of 40’s and 50’s taken in June.

If you’re looking for size then I say mid-late July. But then your also weeding through millions of pinks and coho depending on the year.

Just my thoughts

TT

Your guide is betting on the early fish showing up, as it CAN be good at that time, but if they are not in then it can be a long time between strikes. The plus to that time of year is that the hali's are incredible and there is a lot less boats around. If I was you I would push for at least the last two weeks of June until the end of July. We usually went for two trips, one the weekend before the long weekend in July for springs and hali's and another in August/September for coho. I have never been in late May, but know of a couple of guys who go every year at that time for springs and hali's and it is hit or miss with the springs.

Good luck

Back