Thoughts on this welded aluminum....

Dave S

One of my buddies is looking at welded aluminum boats and tonight we checked out this one.

2005 Harbercraft 1625SK 16' aluminum runabout with 60 hp fuel-injected 4-stroke Yamaha and 2.5 hp Yamaha kicker. 129 hours on main engine and less than 10 hours on kicker. Karavan trailer, completely enclosed soft top, fishfinder, step through window and nice platform on bow for beaching. Great boat for Gulf Islands, lakes. Easy to tow with total weight of about 1200 lbs. Selling because I don't use it enough. New this package would be close to $30k. Asking $14,900.

Specifications
Length 4.87 m / 16'
Beam 2.03 m / 80"
Height of Sides 68.5 cm / 27"
Bottom Width 1.52 m / 66"
Approx. Dry Weight 431 kg / 950 lbs
Deadrise Constant 12 degrees
Fuel Capacity 75 L / 20 USG
Maximum HP 70
Transom height 51 cm / 20"
Aluminum Thickness
Side 2.6 mm / 0.102
Bottom 4 mm / 0.160

*Intended uses are fishing, crabbing, prawning locally. 1-3 persons usually. Some surf missions to areas like Carmanah, Hesquiat, etc.
Looking for easy tow, and not a gas pig.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

23524408_640.jpg

23524387_640.jpg

23524401_640.jpg

23524391_640.jpg

That is a good deal IMO. I would offer 13 and work your way to a middle ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, that boat is too small for crabbing/fishing with 2-3 people. I had one very similar and it was just too little. The other drawback is those light aluminums pound terribly in a chop. On the bright side though, it is priced very.competitively.

Sent from my HTC

It looks good and is priced well. As mentioned, it's light. Also, it only has 12 degrees of deadrise. I'd want more deadrise and preferably variable, like the Hewescrafts and others. But if calm waters and lakes are the expected uses, this is less of an issue. Rough water would be tough.

rip out those back seats so you have room for some action and your good to go, weather permitting of course

I have a 2007 1725 with 90hp. Other than the engine, the difference between mine and the one in the ad is one foot of deck space. The boat will be very easy to tow, launch and handle. Made in Vernon, BC and has the lifetime warranty on the hull.....if you get it to Vernon! What will the boats primary use be and where does he want to take it?

I would hesitate to purchase it if its primary use was going to be salmon fishing on the coast. First reason - there is very little space between the bench seats, the riggers, and the spot where someone will stand to fight and net fish. There is also no room for a decent sized cooler. Second - the 1625-1725-1925 do not have deep V hulls and will kill your back in 1 foot chop.....my 'friends' do nothing but ***** about it. Given the choice again, I would go for an 18ft Hewes Craft Sea Runner. My uncle has one. It is a few inches longer than my 1725 but has more than a foot of extra floor space and almost an extra foot of free board. I think that they are also rated for more HP. I really like my boat and use it mostly in interior lakes. I will have it for many years to come. If I lived on the island, I would sell it in a heartbeat and go with something a little heavier. Here is one example:
http://kpr.craigslist.org/boa/2914467560.html

rip out those back seats so you have room for some action and your good to go, weather permitting of course

Yup that's what I would do too. Rip those back seats out and put a big 120 litre cooler against the splashwell wall and your good to go.

I bet that thing uses next to nothing in fuel. Great little boat in what looks to be great shape. All ready outfitted with some electronics, kicker, etc. Very low hours on the motors. Nice rig for it's size.

Fished off a 19ft w 150 yammy and don't remember too rough of a ride. 4 guys plus coolers and tackle in Bamfield not bad at all. Went through Race Passage if I remember well, flooding hard on a se wind...ugggly.
It even went to Swiftsure from Sooke and made it back ok.

Looks like a nice boat and seems to be worth the $$

fished one on an interior lake...sweet little boat...pretty much exactly the same. The seats were taken out of the one I fished and it was ample room for a 16' boat. It was just two of us though...

yep.....back seats have gotta go....

every boat when empty looks like it's got lots of space......until you start loading it up with all the stuff you need for a fishing trip.....then it gets claustrophobic pretty quick.

Rod storage without rocket launchers is a pain in the butt.....they are always in your way at the worst time.

That boat might fish 2 people o.k. with the back seats gone......any more people than that and it'll be like fishing in a telephone booth.

I think that is too much money for that boat...you can get much sweeter deals out of Washington/Orgeon for that money.

Also....does that open bow have two good drain holes that exit water out of the sides and into the chuck? If not you could be shipping a lot of water when things get gnarly.

Last edited by a moderator:
That open bow would be the main draw back, handy for beaching but in rough water it becomes a "wave scoop."
other than that, a nice package.

That looks like a sweet little fair weather boat. There are boats out there fishing regulary that are a lot less seaworthy than this one. It is true the open bow could cause problems and it is not a deep V but if your a fair weather fisherman this should be a fine boat. Just don't stick around too long when the weather starts to turn - but that is good advice for all boaters.

One of my buddies is looking at welded aluminum boats and tonight we checked out this one.

2005 Harbercraft 1625SK 16' aluminum runabout with 60 hp fuel-injected 4-stroke Yamaha and 2.5 hp Yamaha kicker. 129 hours on main engine and less than 10 hours on kicker. Karavan trailer, completely enclosed soft top, fishfinder, step through window and nice platform on bow for beaching. Great boat for Gulf Islands, lakes. Easy to tow with total weight of about 1200 lbs. Selling because I don't use it enough. New this package would be close to $30k. Asking $14,900.

Specifications
Length 4.87 m / 16'
Beam 2.03 m / 80"
Height of Sides 68.5 cm / 27"
Bottom Width 1.52 m / 66"
Approx. Dry Weight 431 kg / 950 lbs
Deadrise Constant 12 degrees
Fuel Capacity 75 L / 20 USG
Maximum HP 70
Transom height 51 cm / 20"
Aluminum Thickness
Side 2.6 mm / 0.102
Bottom 4 mm / 0.160

*Intended uses are fishing, crabbing, prawning locally. 1-3 persons usually. Some surf missions to areas like Carmanah, Hesquiat, etc.
Looking for easy tow, and not a gas pig.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

23524408_640.jpg

23524387_640.jpg

23524401_640.jpg

23524391_640.jpg

Sorry but in my opinion this boat is way too small to run up to Hesquit. You are an hour away from any help.

I had a 2003 SK2050 With a pod and 17 degree hull. It had a decent ride and it was hard to dip the bow, although I never intentionally tried. This boat is going to rattle your teeth out and pound the heck out of your kidneys. Take it out for right a good run before you make any decisions.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback on this thread. Some great insight from a bunch of salty aluminum loving folks. Will pass along all info to my buddy. Thanks again.

Dave

I've had an 1825 Harbercraft for 10 years used a lot in both fresh and salt. Although the holes draining the bow are only 1" they work and taking a wave over the bow is not a problem. The ride is rough but you can fix with trim tabs to get the bow down a little. These make a world of difference and I wouldn't be without them. These are a great boat in my opinion. The only thing I don't like is the .125 metal sides (EVERY small bump leaves a dent). Doesn't affect the performance but looks like crap.

X2 Sooner or later it will happen.

I have that exact boat, no back seats..

I have been caught out in nasty water. I have never had a wave over the bow, because of the aluminum edging around the bow. As the bow starts to sink in the waves the aluminum channel sprays water down. Last spring coming back from Kitty GLG was coming back too, he was in a 19 or 20 foot boat, it was nasty especially in a 16.5. No water over the bow.

I agree, don't stick around too long when it starts to blow up.
It definately does not ride like a fiberglass boat or a deep V hull.

Back