Thoughts on this boat??

I am looking at this boat... does anybody have any advice and information on the ford 302 188 hp i/o. How about the price..... any help would be appreciated. This is the link....

Thanks everyone for your help...

http://haidagwaiitrader.com/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&page=show_ad&adid=3080&catid=4&Itemid=1

SS

I've had two Campion boats - love them! They are great rough water boats and both handled a following sea better than any other boat I've been on.

I'm not a big fan of Ford motors for boats. My 22' Fiberform had a Mercruiser 888 which is a 302ci motor. Bit of a pain getting parts for.

My first Campion had a Ford 351ci motor pushing a Volvo 280 leg. This was a better package but it still had it's issues.

My last Campion had a 350ci Chev pushing a Volvo Duo-Prop - wonderful power package!

Are you local to the boat? Not having to bring one into the QCI is a bit of a bonus, but not if you don't get what you want or need.

Without seeing the boat, I would be tempted to low-ball the price and see what happens. The market for boats in this range is pretty slow right now with the economy in the dumps. No need to pay more than you have to.

Also, be sure to get a survey done before purchase. You will need it for insurance anyway, so why not do it first and protect yourself during the purchase. Cost should be about $250 or so depending on whether he has to travel. It's a good investment, and saved me from buying a bad boat a number of years ago.

Good luck!

I am looking at this boat... does anybody have any advice and information on the ford 302 188 hp i/o. How about the price..... any help would be appreciated. This is the link....

Thanks everyone for your help...

http://haidagwaiitrader.com/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&page=show_ad&adid=3080&catid=4&Itemid=1

SS
I had a 82 Campion Toba (26 foot command bridge). It was a great boat, very seaworthy and heavy. Without prejudice to the seller, the price seems awfully high for a 36 year old boat that does not appear to be well maintained. My first concerns would be stringers and transom. Dollars to doughnuts there will be moisture showing.

...the price seems awfully high for a 36 year old boat that does not appear to be well maintained. My first concerns would be stringers and transom. Dollars to doughnuts there will be moisture showing.
You Betcha!

It's been my experience that people in rural locations have an exaggerated idea of what used things are worth-that thing isn't worth half of the asking price.

thanks guys I really appreciate it.... I am trying to get into a nice boat up here in Haida Gwaii and would prefer not to go pick it up or ferry it across. I am also considereing getting one off vancouver island and having it hossled onto the ferrys right to skidegate.... anyone know any decent boats in the 5k range on the island that would handle the waters up here???

SS31

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same engine in a searay owned and really liked it, fuel effcient and reliable. The package is older so get someone to go thru it all, you don't want a project that old up there. It would cost a fortune to rebuild, but having said that the price is ok, for the location.

To be honest 5k doesnt go very far in finding an ocean worthy boat...It is most likely going to get you a boat that you are going to be dumping another 5k into over the next year or two to keep it running or bring it up to snuff. Just my 2 cents

To be honest 5k doesnt go very far in finding an ocean worthy boat...It is most likely going to get you a boat that you are going to be dumping another 5k into over the next year or two to keep it running or bring it up to snuff. Just my 2 cents

Totally agree. Tough search living in Haida Gwaii too. Good luck.

Splitting the top and bottom hull is no easy task, and is usually necessary to remove the floor to change the stringers, which apparently have never been done. Odds are the stringers are all soft. Foam then gets replaced and odds are the foam is flooded and adding 300 pounds to the boat weight. Transom will likely be rotted out or very soft, repair when hull is separated. Engine hopefully is not a rebuild as most of the rebuids use automotive components and not the necesarry Marine components resulting in an undersized oil pump, etc. If not, a full rebuild should be done at that age.
Next, take that trailer apart and sand blast it and get it galvanzed.
Finally, you can get really good paint to go over the gel coat, as odds are its all chalked up anyway. Or re gel coat it.

Voila, a just like new boat. Ask Big Zeke. You will end up with a retro boat that will serve you for 10 years, at about 1/2 the cost of new.

Not saying don't do it, I and my brother have both done it. I don't have the time any more, and after the many surprises, I don't know if my brother will ever do it again.

Drewski

Back