Thoughts on 2003 Johnson 140 four stroke...

sniperren

Hi all...

I'm looking at getting into my first boat this spring and wondering what these engines are like? Is the 140 Johnson a good motor? I heard it's similar the the 140 Suzuki? Is it still easy to
get parts for the Johnson? Anyone have experience with these engines I'd like to hear it. Might look at a boat with this power.

Cheers

Thanks

Sniper ren

Last edited by a moderator:
From what i understand that motor is a Zuke with a white paiint job.
Just prior to the Etec evolvement Bombardier had an arrangement with them
for motors.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][h=4]Who Actually Builds the Drives[/h][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][h=5]Bombardier/OMC
Johnson and Evinrude[/h][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][h=5]Under both builders, from the powerhead down, the major differences in Johnson and Evinrude are the cowls and paint color.
Until 2006, Suzuki manufactured the Johnson four strokes up to 225 HP. For 2006 Suzuki only makes the Johnson four strokes up through 30 HP, Evinrude produces direct injected two strokes (E-Tec) 40 HP and above.[/h]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][h=4]Drive Manufacturer[/h][/FONT]

I had a 140 Johnzuki on my last boat and was pretty happy with it, all in all. A quiet, fuel efficient motor but overrated for power. My understanding is that it's closer to 130hp than 140. I wasn't impressed with the Johnson controls and had to replace the tilt/trim switch on the throttle lever (under warranty). I played around with props and found the Suzuki 20p ss to be optimum for my boat but that would vary with different rigs.

If it's well matched to the boat then it would be a decent power choice imho.

I had a 140 Johnzuki on my last boat and was pretty happy with it, all in all. A quiet, fuel efficient motor but overrated for power. My understanding is that it's closer to 130hp than 140. I wasn't impressed with the Johnson controls and had to replace the tilt/trim switch on the throttle lever (under warranty). I played around with props and found the Suzuki 20p ss to be optimum for my boat but that would vary with different rigs.

If it's well matched to the boat then it would be a decent power choice imho.

I highly doubt you could even tell the difference between 130hp and 140hp on the transom. plus a 20p prop is huge for that size of motor and probably the reason you felt sluggish

I never said it felt sluggish - quite the contrary. I could get around 43+mph out of it at wot on a 17.5' aluminum boat. Pretty good performance actually. The 140 runs a comparatively low gear ratio which allows it to spin a bigger prop and I found the best for me was the Suzuki brand 14X20 ss. Allowed max rpm's (6200) at wot with good all round performance.

The hp numbers for the DF140 were discussed ad nauseum on many boating websites a few years ago and nobody seemed to know for sure so it really doesn't matter, I guess. I do know that it was a good motor and I liked it a lot but if I had to choose between the DF 140 and a Yam F150, I'd pick the Yamaha.

Back