Stripping a 225 yamaha sws 2 stroke for parts

morganic

So years ago when I bought my present boat it came with a 225 yamaha salt water series motor. Ended up seizing that motor and managed to find the same motor to replace it.
I took the old one to a friend's and it's been stored in a barn for the last 8 years. The property is now slated to be developed and I could use the power trim as mine stopped lifting at the end of last year. So I'm heading out that way too get that part but I'm just wondering what else I should take off the motor that I or someone else would or could use if necessary. So other than the leg and trim and cowling is there any other parts you guys would suggest I remove and save.
I'm already resigned to buy a new 200 suzuki (it's a bamfield boat got to be a zuk), when my present motor goes but I figure there'd be some parts worth scavenging. Any suggestions or ideas. Thanks MO

So years ago when I bought my present boat it came with a 225 yamaha salt water series motor. Ended up seizing that motor and managed to find the same motor to replace it.
I took the old one to a friend's and it's been stored in a barn for the last 8 years. The property is now slated to be developed and I could use the power trim as mine stopped lifting at the end of last year. So I'm heading out that way too get that part but I'm just wondering what else I should take off the motor that I or someone else would or could use if necessary. So other than the leg and trim and cowling is there any other parts you guys would suggest I remove and save.
I'm already resigned to buy a new 200 suzuki (it's a bamfield boat got to be a zuk), when my present motor goes but I figure there'd be some parts worth scavenging. Any suggestions or ideas. Thanks MO
take ALL the electrical, computers, coils, grab the carbs, pull the flywheel and take the stator, starter, any factory fuel filter system, fuel pump if conveient, Leg, cowlings, anything that could wear out lol, even the heads if they are still good. no sense in leaving any of those behind if they can keep your motor going for a few more years, and after that sell the whole kit for parts.

Any electrical parts...take a puller with you so you can pull the flywheel and grab the stator,and trigger coils under it. Also grab the rectifier and the main wiring harness. I would also grab, the carbs, choke solenoid, starting solenoid, trim solenoid, starter, oil pump. The ecm, and the 6 coils..which can all be taken together on the mounting plate. Basically anything that is bolted to the block...take it off and put it in a big tote...then you will have your own parts store...because most of these parts now are either not available or back ordered and you wait weeks or months for new old stock to arrive at the dealers.

Is there no way to store the motor somewhere else for a while? Just so you don't have to rush and strip parts and maybe leave something you need in the future.

If you have the time...split the block and check the crank. If its good keep it..as it is the key component if a rebuild is being considered down the road.

Thanks for your replies guys. Went out this morning and took off everything I could get at.
Not gonna store again Dave. Any thing I need that I didn't get and I'll be replacing motor most likely.
Wife's already insisting I get a 4 stroke because mine is smoky on startup and I'm polluting the ocean apparently. Told her she can finance one for me or it would make a great Xmas present tho she probably thinks it's 5g not 25 :) Thanks again mo

Back