Thompson River Stories: Share Yours!

It was because of him, and a couple of others involved with the SSHRC that I quit the SSBC in 1997.

I have my principles.

Take care.

For the record.
No reflection on the SSBC of today intended by my above comment.
Funny you mention that Dave. I also did

It was because of him, and a couple of others involved with the SSHRC that I quit the SSBC in 1997.

I have my principles.

Take care.

For the record.
No reflection on the SSBC of today intended by my above comment.
There is a few of us there back in day... could not agree with you more...it was pretty sad.....

Chasing fish downriver was usually a losing gambit on the T. Between the very slippery rocks and the relentless current the fish damn near always won. Lytton was the exception as there was lots room to chase them provided you didn't fall.

Hahahaha.. so it seemed..Lytton was never really my friend when it came to steelhead .. however Gospal rock
on the shale smiled upon me :)

One of the best threads going, I love all the stories, wish I had some of my own to share. Lots of road trips through the Fraser canyon over the years, but always just passing through on our way to different fly fishing lakes.

Chasing fish downriver was usually a losing gambit on the T. Between the very slippery rocks and the relentless current the fish damn near always won. Lytton was the exception as there was lots room to chase them provided you didn't fall.

Sometimes you won the chase if you had someone there to help you.

I had a secret little pocket that always kicked out huge bucks. It was just a scoop in a large chunk of bedrock with some boulders in the scoop and at the right water level, it was a fasten your seat belt type of hole the minute you made your first cast. Because it was so consistent I guarded that place like it was my private Fort Knox. If there was anyone around, I wouldn't fish it.

So one day the conditions were right. I step in and boom, instant hook up. Usually it was a knock-down drag out fight in this spot. There was a huge back eddy and that part of the river dynamic seemed to keep the fish from going off downstream --- you didn't have to chase. But this fish was different. It instantly went across the river to the opposite bank and then took off for Lytton.

This spot is just below what they call the Island....I'm guessing it's maybe 3 km upstream of Big Horn?

So I'm on a bonafide Nantucket Sleigh ride with this fish. Part of the thrill of getting Thompson fish on a fly was the high-pitched scream your fly reel made once they took off. I'd never heard my fly reel scream like it did with this fish. By then it had gotten huge amounts of line out on me. But I could run. I could chase. Reason? I never wore cleats when I fished the THompson like alot of the other guys did, precisely so I could chase fish without breaking my neck. I was a wading stick kind of guy.

So I'm running downstream across the rocks as fast as I can trying to keep slack out of the line. I'm stripping off clothes. First the vest. Then the Cowichan sweater. Then the wind breaker. I'm sweating like a pig, and I've already covered an easy kilometer of river chasing this fish but by this time, the fish had so much line out on me that when he disappeared down below a bend which by then, was the top end of the Orchard Run, my dacron running line was thwacking across big boulders and driftwood because of the angle that fish had on me. No way was I going to get this fish. It would destroy my fly line and probably break me off just from line abrasion.

All of a sudden I see a car pull off the highway. A guy comes running down the embankment. He's a friend of Rick Olmstead, a guy named Steve who I think worked in a tackle shop in the L.M. He says he's been watching me and together we're going to get that fish. By then I'm exhausted, whimpering a bit, a defeatist attitude coming on because I knew what that fish was doing to my line....dragging it across the rocks like that. And I didn't have a back-up line for this trip. I could get other fish if I got my line back in one piece.

But this guy would have none of it. He was like a drill sergeant. He ran off below me, untangled my running line from the rocks and logs, then barked orders at me. Reel! OK, run! OK, reel! OK, give him line. OK, run! This went on for another kilometer.

So by then we were at Big Horn. I knew if that fish got into the rapids below Big Horn it was game over. So did Steve. And by then I was completely out of gas.

So the fish is out in the middle of the river in the dancing waves just before the river narrows and disappears down into the canyon. And it was getting dark. But by then I could see the fly line. I never thought I'd see that fly line again so it was a bit of a triumph For me.

The guy is screaming at me again----put the screws in! Freeze that reel! So I do it and I'll be blowed, the fish starts heading towards the shore we both stood on. I knew that just above the rapids was a small bay of soft water. I knew that because I'd fished it before. So against all odds, I put the screws in and was able to swim the fish into that bay. If he made one more run I knew he'd be a goner but he didn't---It's clear the fish was as done as I was. I grab the leader and hand my rod to Steve and pull the fish towards beach using the leader. It was one of those gorgeous high teen bucks that we both knew would make for a stunning meal if slow-cooked over coals. Yes, this was back in the day when you could keep those glorious specimens.

Steve sees that I'm not exactly going through the motions of beaching the fish like I'm going to keep it and says:

"No way. After what we just went through? How can you even think of turning loose such a gorgeous fish?"

And as I held the wrist of its tail so it could regain its composure I responded ...

"Yes, way. Although I appreciate all the help you gave me how could anyone even think of keeping such a gorgeous fish?"

And together we watched it push back out into the middle of the river and then it was gone, like it had never been there, had never graced our lives with its presence.

But it had and we mulled that over quietly to ourselves during the long walk back to our trucks.

Last edited:
I have a chase story that happened to someone fishing beside me at the Nicola.

The first year that the T was catch and release was very strange. I brought a fishing partner from the Kootenays who had never fished for any type of Steelhead or Salmon before. As we drove up to the river on Hwy#8 it was just getting dark. I saw no anglers in the river at the Y or the Hotel Run and was freaked out that the river had been closed completely. As we settled in at our 5star accommodations at the Acacia Motel, our neighbours advised us that the river was open but that there was hardly anyone fishing.

The next morning we left the motel in the dark and drove to the Nicola just as the day was breaking. We found that we were the only people there. In the first 10 casts my partner managed to catch a sucker, a sockeye (big run that year) and a Steelhead. As he mocked me about all the time I spent tempering his expectations on the way over we proceeded to have no more takes for a couple of hours.

At about 9:30- 10:00 a pickup from Washington pulled up and a young gentleman and his blonde Labrador Retriever got out and came down to talk to us and told us this was his first time on the T. After getting the lowdown on our morning he went up to his truck and got his 8'6" rod with a 5500 Abu out and came down to the river. I asked him how heavy of line he was using and he told me 12lb was all they used down south. I told him that he might be under gunned for this river and he told me that was all he had so he was going to give it a shot. On his third cast he hooked an absolute pig. In my 10+ years coming up there I had never seen a fish that big as it jumped out of the water in front of us. The fellow got so excited that somehow he hit the freespool and got a birdsnest on his spool. As he untangle things the fish stayed right in front of him and kept jumping. He got his spool untangled and then realized the line had gotten wrapped on his tip section so he set the butt of the rod on the rocks and unwound the tip. Just as he picked his rod up and got himself together, the fish that had all this time stayed right in front of him decided Lytton was where it was at and headed downstream with this fellow and dog in tow.

The rest of the story was relayed to me by a couple of fellows that owned a cabin beside the Old Hotel. The guy managed to make it around the corner (over the huge rip-rap) and as the fish was running downstream someone fishing at the Y casted over the line, not knowing that the guy moving downstream on the other side of the river had a fish on. After they managed to pull his line over and unhook their line from his, he carried on downstream. The other two fellows were fishing the Hotel Run and deciphered what was happening and moved up above the old bridge to watch the show. One of the guys ended up landing the fish and later told me that it was the biggest fish they had ever seen (these guys had caught a 28lber the year before). They estimated that the fish was 32 to 35lb. These guys were full timers up there and
I believe their size estimate. They didn't embellish their stories as far as some did up there.

While all this was going on, my partner and I decided to go for breakfast. I was a bit worried about the fellow who chased the fish downstream as a lot of time had passed. I told my partner that he should walk down the tracks to see if maybe the fellow had wiped out in the rip rap. Just then he came walking back and told us his story. It ended up that no one had a camera and this fish only lives in the memories of this extremely LUCKY American fellow and the two guys that owned the cabin next to the Old Hotel. This fish should never have made it out of the Nicola Run with all of the birds nest and tip wrap but it stayed right in front of us and kept jumping so it is a memory for me also.

This has been a very special thread for me and I really appreciate Sharphooks for starting it. I also appreciate the stories from other posters. It is a shame that we lost such a special place and no more of these memories will be made up there. This was a place where you could encounter brutal conditions but the chance to make one of these memories always kept me going up there.

I was always hesitant to chase those fish very far. Always used little hooks and fairly light leader. Rather snap one off than risk my life on those slippery rocks.
After the first tug jump and run I was over it anyway and looking for the next one.

Just found a few photos from the mid 2000s....this one was a cool looking fish out of the grease hole. Still have a few of the custom 15' drift rods I built. Loved bottom bouncing way out there. The takes were so explosive.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1703804883500.jpg
    FB_IMG_1703804883500.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 60
So... yes, there's a bit of weight difference in the fish this guy hooks in this video but I'm thinking anyone who experienced a hook up and a chase on the Thompson will get to do it all over again after watching this

The take in the beginning is worth the entire vid... spectacular!

So... yes, there's a bit of weight difference in the fish this guy hooks in this video but I'm thinking anyone who experienced a hook up and a chase on the Thompson will get to do it all over again after watching this

The take in the beginning is worth the entire vid... spectacular!

That was epic!

Thinking back to all the years seeing "you guys" on the river....

Noon on Christmas day found me parked on the side of the river.....not a soul around, no traffic either.....

I stood there for 15 minutes or so, taking it all is. Was strange to feel 6C weather and no snow.....

Thanks for the stories and memories. :cool:

A bit late to the party but I’ll tell a story, although it’s not steelhead related.

I grew up fishing the mouth of the Nicola with my dad for salmon. I spent hours and hours swimming and playing with the other kids in the Nicola as I wasn’t old enough to chuck out a bait caster and fish with the men on the main river. I learned very quick not to chase snakes in the position ivy that was all over the place up there. One morning, I’m casting out into the Nicola with a spinning outfit with the pencil lead and a piece of pink wool. I used to see how many times I could get the lead to skip on the water just for something to do as I had never caught any salmon in there before. Keep in mind I’m probably 10 at the time. So I’m skipping my lead on the water and a 14lb chinook jumps outta the water just as I wind up to try and skip my lead into the next dimension. WHAP head shot. Salmon goes belly up, I jump in the river, swim out to it and grab it by the throat and swim back to shore just as I’m about to disrupt the first guy fishing off the point. I walk back, grab my rod and go find my dad. He hadn’t caught anything that morning and I come walking up to him, completely soaked dragging a salmon behind me. I told him and the creel survey guy what happened and they were completely blown away by the turn of events. My dad bought me my first level wind for Christmas that year and I got upgraded to fish with the adults the next year…….although I had to buy my own lead. Haha.

With all due respects to the writer, the lofty ideals he has of getting anybody in either Provincial or Federal fisheries management to give his petition on banning Fraser gill nets even the time of day is a massive exercise in urinating into a tornado.

All you have to know is what the seamy underbelly of Reconciliation looks like….

And being the grammar n azi I am, his consistent confusion between the proper usage of “lose“ and “loose” (3 times… count’em) does his passionate plea zero favors. If that grammatical sloppiness is in his petition, he’ll lose instant credibility …

And meanwhile, the Third time was not the charm:

…”Loosing wild steelhead in the Thompson is beyond comprehension, we must act to protect these fish.”

So, turning loose wild steelhead is beyond your comprehension? Looks like you’ve got lots in common with the Fraser chum FN guys…

And that dude is in marketing? Yikes.

Last edited:
Back