Thompson River Stories: Share Yours!

Ya, he was a good guy. When he showed up on the river with a proper boat with lots of power I remember thinking...uh oh....there goes the neighborhood....he's going to be everywhere with that boat....but suddenly he stopped showing and I was saddened to hear he had gone on to the great river in the sky----way too young....I missed the guy!

I remember one day asking him why he spent so much time out on the Island

His response: because there are always fish there and if they don't bite, I stay put and pound the hell out of them until they DO bite....ha ha

I took Rick's words of wisdom and applied it to my salt chuck fishing and it works--- thanks, Rick!

Last edited:
I think before the Steelhead Inn and couple other accommodations such as Shaw springs, Circle J motel was our main stay. The owner, I believe his name was Bill, was quite the character. We used to have to call multiple times to confirm a booking. lol
If he likes you, then you are in or else just keep calling and hopefully catches Bill in a good day, lol. One day might be full and next time there will be rooms to be rent lol..

Never had issues with Bill but he was telling us stories of clients would steal his batteries from the ceiling fire alarms etc. He was a grouchy old guys with so much character.

Missed that guy.

Fun times indeed..

I was fishing the river that paticular day when that happened he was indeed very luck that day. :)
Fished with Rick from time time, this was one of the days when my wife and I jumped into his tin boat for an afternoon fish.. :) He was a good man...
Rick was a true steward for the Thompson steelhead. I watched him catch the biggest steelhead I’ve ever seen by a lot

I think before the Steelhead Inn and couple other accommodations such as Shaw springs, Circle J motel was our main stay. The owner, I believe his name was Bill, was quite the character. We used to have to call multiple times to confirm a booking. lol
If he likes you, then you are in or else just keep calling and hopefully catches Bill in a good day, lol. One day might be full and next time there will be rooms to be rent lol..

Never had issues with Bill but he was telling us stories of clients would steal his batteries from the ceiling fire alarms etc. He was a grouchy old guys with so much character.

Missed that guy.

Fun times indeed..
After a good day on the river and a couple pops at the log cabin inn,I needed food and shut eye......went up to the circle J for dinner,ordered roast chicken,mashies etc....looked great and was starving,Wolfe it down ,tasted great...20 minutes later I've never been so violently sick.....couldn't get out of the camper for the next day and a half......no more circle J for me!
But tons of heady experiences on the Thompson for sure.
Still have my cleats and wading stick hanging in the garage.....don't know why,..just because I guess

Couple more pictures just for old times sake

Fish on! Just below Basque
IMG_0024.jpeg

Gospel Rock Buck on a 1903 Hardy Perfect

IMG_0026.jpeg

Dog No. 1 in that place I told my daughters to throw my ashes in the wind

IMG_2306.jpeg

Dog No. 2 in that place I told my daughters to throw my ashes in the wind

IMG_0023.jpeg

Eldest Daughter: Selena Martel ....Dude, I don't want to touch your ashes....they're gross!

I'd rather touch your dog

IMG_20180929_180152.jpeg

Last edited:
After a good day on the river and a couple pops at the log cabin inn,I needed food and shut eye......went up to the circle J for dinner,ordered roast chicken,mashies etc....looked great and was starving,Wolfe it down ,tasted great...20 minutes later I've never been so violently sick.....couldn't get out of the camper for the next day and a half......no more circle J for me!
But tons of heady experiences on the Thompson for sure.
Still have my cleats and wading stick hanging in the garage.....don't know why,..just because I guess
the log cabin what a place...watched the Blue Jay's win the world series 2 years in a row there.. and that would be smaller start to the stories... it was always like coming home when you got there

My one and only Steelhead on the Thompson was caught and released on December 31, 2007 at the Y Run. Parked at the CN yard and walked down to the bank in a foot of snow. There was ice forming on the bank. Line guides kept freezing. Drifted a big Gibbs Ironhead spoon using a 10.5 rod and Ambassador levelwind. My casting skills were definitely hampered by the cold and I birdnested the thing. After trying unsuccesfully to remove the tangle, I decided to use my backup rig that consisted of a 9 foot rod and spinning reel. First cast, I feel a thump and then the telltale sign of a hookup, the headshakes. And then the jumping. After 20 minutes, landed a 18-19 pound buck, by biggest Steelhead ever. Tried to snap a picture with shaky and cold hands, and dropped the camera, which was not water proof, in the water. As previuosly mentioned, something special about the Thompson fish. Glad I have this memory.

Was finally drawn to the Thompson about 25-30 years ago to first hand experience the majestic, spectacular scenery , wild water in sections and the legendary potential.
First time ever, stayed at the 1star * Acacia Grove with some skilled buddies, hit the Log Cabin and hung in there to closing.
A little green on the wake up call but made our way down to the Graveyard well b4 sunrise. First on the River with my brand new waders, walking stick, bailie boots, 9’ 9 wt single handed fly rod and Hardy #2 salmon reel. I looked great. Lol
Timidly meandered out to chest deep water and threw about 100 casts with something called a popsicle. No luck but learned a valuable lesson that toilet paper is a must and squeezing it ain’t going help. Dashed to shore and didn’t quite make it .The rest I don’t want to think about it.
Refreshed myself and headed back but the graveyard was booming so alone I made my way over to the tail out on the Lake run. Well, thought this was potential for a reasonable holding area. First 10’ cast with a purple GP, boom, immediately spooled me as I chased the beauty down the shore line for about 100 -150 yards and then realized no way with this gear I was going to be able to hold this fish. Sure enough it’s now only a distant memory as I never saw the fish and what this river was all about.
I was shaking but cherished every moment. I was hooked but not ready.
Next time up, 14’ double Handed rod and even more respect to what this River really meant.
Eventually as time went on really enjoyed drifting the river in our Buck boats.Notice the life jackets, boats tied off and a buddy system. Lake run.

Attachments

• F1010009.jpeg
    F1010009.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 28
Hahaha....u never told me that one before Drink when your on my Boat :) yes that River and those fish had a way of grabbing you and not letting you go... Cannot not say my first fish I got there did that to me but I sure remember the 2nd one.... Guess its my turn to tell my story :)

Never fished there, but hunted above for many years in winter....shook my head many a time watching the die hard's out at first light and still there
when we came down from the mountains....probably was the 80's to mid 90's

Spent a lot of time in the log cabin in......made many "new" friends and ended up sleeping in the truck a few times due to the disgusting rooms.

Never fished there, but hunted above for many years in winter....shook my head many a time watching the die hard's out at first light and still there
when we came down from the mountains....probably was the 80's to mid 90's

Spent a lot of time in the log cabin in......made many "new" friends and ended up sleeping in the truck a few times due to the disgusting rooms.
hahahaha.. had nothing to do with amount drank? :) :) there were a few of us that did that over the years ;)

We tried all the accommodations in Spences Bridge but finally settled on Acacia grove. We used to stay at the Acacia grove when it was run by the older Chinese couple. It was rustic but clean, and had all the necessities. The Chinese lady couldn't speak English that well but she was sharp as all get out and she had a great sense of humour. It was always a sad day when we came home after the remembrance day weekend because we knew the rest of the steelhead season was rather anticlimactic compared to the T.
I miss the river itself, I miss the smell of sage, I miss those massive majestice steelhead, I miss Acacia grove and the chinese lady, I miss seeing the big horn sheep all over the place, I miss the trains, I miss some of the characters I used to run into every year, I miss seeing a guy use a piece of wood for a fishing reel, about the only thing I don't miss is the damn wind at Lytton. Such a sad situation.

Last edited:
This is more about the guys I met on the THompson in the early days. In the early 80's I probably stuck out a bit because I was a fly fisherman and there weren't many guys doing that, especially in the places I fished. A group of White Rock guys took me under their wing when they saw me hook a big buck at Gold Pan (behind where they'd just fished) and saw me turn it loose.

They were all Super Silex and Jewel guys and watching them cast those things was poetry in motion. But I also realized those old Hardy reels they were using might open a whole new world if I adapted it to a fly reel

So I floated the idea in their group: if any of them ever wanted to part with one of their Super Silexes, I'd be all over it. So one day I got a call from one of them. His name was Fred. A member of their club had just died and his widow wanted to sell her deceased husband's collection. Would I be interested in getting first crack?

I was in my truck the next morning, driving up to White Rock. I was a bit queasy because I knew it would be an awkward scene. The guy had only recently passed and I didn't want to appear to be a vulture picking over the reels he used

I found the house and after being invited inside I sucked in my breath. The entire basement had been turned into safe deposit box. Every room had huge bars across the door way....it looked like Fort Knox. And in each room were apple crates stuffed with Super Silexes and Jewels and Longstones of every size and vintage. I'd never seen anything like that before.

Short story, I hit the highway going south with at least 10 of the most gorgeous reels I'd ever seen. And they became the seeds of a Hardy reel collection I've been building on ever since

Here's a few of them:

IMG_0004.jpeg

So here's the reason why I got so enthralled with the Super Silex. It spins like a dream. You can flick the handles and if it's properly lubed, it'll spin for a minute. And here's the magic trick I figured out you could do with those reels:

I loaded up a 4" Super Silex not only with a floating weight forward line but also spliced on a 100 yard floating running line behind that line. Then I went down to a huge open run like the GRaveyard, made a quarter downstream cast with a large dry fly, flicked the free-spool pawl of the Super Silex, and let that fly go on off downstream with zero drag. Back in those days I had a 16 footer that a guy had made up for me. It gave me huge line control even with a hundred yards of line out in the river. And I'll be blowed---I started catching steelhead on a drag-free drift with a dry fly several hundred feet downstream from where I was standing!

And because my fly was dead drifting, not skating, it drove those fish beserk. Sometimes they'd boil at the fly 4 or 5 times before inhaling it. I was fortunate to still be young in those days because a steelhead boiling over and over at your fly, especially a 16 pound THompson doe, is enough to induce a heart attack.

I started using that trick up on the Skeena where I could be alone in a huge piece of open water and that trick was so effective I almost gave up fishing wet flies. It was nuts!

SO I don't remember Fred's last name. Maybe some of you guys knew him? He was a THompson fixture---I saw him every time I went up there and if it wasnt for that chance meeting, I never would have discovered the wonders of using a Super Silex as a fly reel.

One of those Supers made my whole trip on the Skeena and BUlkley this past fall. Thanks, Fred!

IMG_1249.jpeg

Last edited:
You are referring to board man Mario.. A good man for sure always loved it when he hooked up on a fish....😄😂
I fished with this gentleman for a few days as he was a friend of a fishing buddy of mine from North Van. I did not see him hook a fish but he could sure peg a cast out there.

Sharphooks, that may have been Fred Badjura. He was a fixture on the Thompson and was famous for the cork floats he made.

He took me under his wing one year that I was up there by myself and on a cold streak. I learned more from that man in 2 days than I could have in years trying to figure it out on my own. I believe he turned me into a competent and confident fisherman on this river.

He did a lot of work for the biologists up there. He caught many fish for them to radio tag. They shared a lot of the data with him and he had so much insight into the behavior of these fish that no one could ever have otherwise.

Last edited:
I saw boardman catch a couple while fishing at Lytton. He made a difficult skill look remarkably easy.
He told me that when he grew up in Europe (France I believe) and he loved fishing but could not afford a reel so he learned to use this type of wooden frame. The one he used was made from rosewood and had a beautiful finish. Watching him hold his rod in one hand and work this frame with the wrist of the other totally amazed me.

As I said in my story above, it seems that I saw or experienced something amazing every time I went to this magical place.

Back