thinking of repowering

robertmcallan

I am thinking of repowering my boat witch is a explorer 622wa 21FT, it has a yamaha 150 on it which never had to many issues but from what i have been seeing is a lot more suzuki's on the water and wondering what guys thoughts on them as well as the new Etec outboards kinda like the warranty that they have been giving with their motors?

Hey, whatever you decide won't be cheap!!! As I'm sure you know, I just re-powered my boat with a used 115 2014 E-Tec with 2 years warranty left on it. Wasn't sure how good the warranty was but after one day in my name I noticed one of the cowling latches was cracked then it broke. Was quite mad and the mechanic I took it to to have it serviced said let's take some pictures and send it to Evinrude, a week later I had a hole brand new cowling ($1500). They stand by their warranty is my point. I can say it is an awesome engine with a great warranty, however it does smoke ever so slightly...nothing like the old one's though. And it is louder than the 4 strokes. I love my E-Tec and also run them where I work, they are light and much quicker out of the hole that the 4 stokes (watch you tube video of e-tec vs yamaha) if that is important to you. Then lastly no oil changes! The oil is a little pricey but mine barely sips the oil. Once the winter time comes you can fog the motor by using the controls with a certain sequence of actions, basically high idles the motor for a minute or so and pours the oil to it then shuts it off. Haven't tried it yet but pretty cool.

I can't speak on the other motors you mentioned aside from friends have them and love them as well, they are quieter like I mentioned. Warranty better with E-Tec in my opinion. Comes down to what you use it for and what dealers you have near you in case you need to use the warranty. For me it's fire up my E-Tec, blast out to the fishing grounds then run my 4-stroke kicker all day.

Good luck in your hunt and hopefully this helps you an the E-Tec side of things.

i can 2nd the good things said above about the etec. am thrilled with my 2015 115hp which I bought new. it gets better mileage than my 90 zuke 4 stroke did. I was also happy with the 90 zuke it was a great motor. I troll with my 115 a fair bit and it burns virtually no oil when trolling is quiet and doesn't smoke. it does smoke a bit after running a bit and when you first slow down to idle or troll but not for long.

i can 2nd the good things said above about the etec. am thrilled with my 2015 115hp wh.
Hey, whatever you decide won't be cheap!!! As I'm sure you know, I just re-powered my boat with a used 115 2014 E-Tec things.

Were those both G1 versions? Have you thought about or already added a remote steering/throttle option for trolling from the back of the boat? Just been thinking about how to do this if I buy one and leave the kicker at home. Thanks!

Whatever you do stay away from the new Yamaha 200 4 strokes. unless you want to be left high and dry by Yamaha after your engine blows. There's a thermostat defect which causes the thermostat to fail open and the engine will run cold and make oil....effectively diluting your engine oil and then you need to replace the thermostats or check them every 100 hours and replace them often. Eventually what happens is that you experience premature engine wear and you blow a bearing....and the engine checks out. You're then left holding the bag.

Whatever you do stay away from the new Yamaha 200 4 strokes. unless you want to be left high and dry by Yamaha after your engine blows. There's a thermostat defect which causes the thermostat to fail open and the engine will run cold and make oil....effectively diluting your engine oil and then you need to replace the thermostats or check them every 100 hours and replace them often. Eventually what happens is that you experience premature engine wear and you blow a bearing....and the engine checks out. You're then left holding the bag.
This happened to my buddy at 80hrs and no warranty on Tstats?
Good thing he was regularly checking his oil......

This happened to my buddy at 80hrs and no warranty on Tstats?
Good thing he was regularly checking his oil......

When I heard of what has happened...I was amazed that Yamaha would be so dumb about it and not manufacturer some good stuff.

I would bet Yamaha dealers are in for more than a few blown engines in the next few years.

Were those both G1 versions? Have you thought about or already added a remote steering/throttle option for trolling from the back of the boat? Just been thinking about how to do this if I buy one and leave the kicker at home. Thanks!
mine is a basic 2015 115hp etec. not the high output model and I don't have a remote steering system. I f I had a 21 or 22' boat I would spend the money on the new g2 200 hp etec, incredible engine and unbelievable fuel consumption, 15% better than the closest 200hp 4 stroke rival.

mine is a basic 2015 115hp etec. not the high output model and I don't have a remote steering system. I f I had a 21 or 22' boat I would spend the money on the new g2 200 hp etec, incredible engine and unbelievable fuel consumption, 15% better than the closest 200hp 4 stroke rival.
Lol..... Time to go.... Everyone hanging on to something!!!
Etec g2 has built in steering no need to spend extra $$$
No need for trim tabs save your $$$

thanks for everyones input sounds like most guys have had good luck with an Etec just have to wait till next week to see what kind of promotion they put out

Back