These Closures Suck!

eroyd

Well yes they do. No one is arguing with that, but it seems that some seem to believe those of us that still fish when it is non-retention are part of the problem. Here is a thread for those whiners to whine. :)

"THESE CLOSURES SUCKS !!!!!! thinking of yourself is the biggest reason we will never get away from these closures. Divide and concur," quoted from another abused thread in response to another member mentioning enjoying a day of fishing with less boats. Hard to believe there are those that actually believe the government is going to give a crap if we act like spoiled children and refuse to go fishing if we can't have it our way.

Guess what. These closures are probably here to stay. That's the sad reality. Not saying we should give up the fight, but if you can't enjoy fishing without KILLING your limit, perhaps find another hobby. Sell your boat for more than enough money to keep yourself in chinook fillets for the rest of your life.

Otherwise, why not take this opportunity to learn something new. A few suggestions: learn to effectively mooch, jig or even cast or pull a spoon or fly. Clearly lost arts around the south island. Yes, that may mean temporarily putting aside the electric downriggers, 15# canon balls and flashers. It doesn't need to be about numbers. If it does for you, see above.

How about taking the time to return to enjoying "fishing", instead of "catching".

Mortality of Catch and Release? Surely some, but not even close to that of tapping them on the head. Don't even go there.

Just be happy you can get on the water and fish at all. I live just down the road in WA. We usually get 10-14 days in our area that we can fish for chinook. 1 hatchery/day. but unless another species is open (coho) you can't fish at all. I would love to be able to C&R just to be out in the "hunt".

hb

I like to C&R trout in lakes and yet when it comes to doing it in the ocean for salmon its not for me,

Mortality of Catch and Release? Surely some, but not even close to that of tapping them on the head. Don't even go there.

I think this seriously depends on a lot of factors, From lots of post on social media guys might go out and harvest one or two but it seems common now in August guys post had 30+ to the boat today released.

Its also worth noting that despite all these restrictions the amount of chinook getting killed by the rec sector has not gone down. A lot of the effort has shifted to other areas, Creel reports for last year show this

Tho whole C&R debate on here has been beaten to death some like it, some don't, some dont care. Harvesting a fish to me is all part of it from cleaning it to cooking it.

Is it cheaper to buy it sure but its not about that its about the whole process, from hand to plate.

I think wavetimer was upset that these restrictions are just becoming the new norm. That instead of people trying to stand up against them they are just adapting to them.

We also should not believe that C&R can not be taking away because it can, Look at vancouver "no fishing for chinook".

Last edited:
A lot of survival has to do with handling. I see a lot of nets out with a total lack of any other effort otherwise. You'd think some of our more whiney high liners would know better.

Just adding. Fishing is supposed to be fun, and if anything I am worried we are losing some of that spark. People are getting way to wound up what others are doing on the water, ramps, social media etc.. Not one of us in here is an expert in everything fishing and boating related. Always things to learn.

Everyone does things a different way in regards to this hobby. Some like catch and release and some don't. If you do catch and release be respectful there are others that do fish for food, and that can't be discounted.

On flip side you can't sit back and judge others that want to be out on water fishing despite the regulations.

I find the best thing you can do is just go fishing, and do what makes you happy out there.

And no I am not for non-retention right now.

Last edited:
Just adding. Fishing is supposed to be fun, and if anything I am worried we are losing some of that spark. People are getting way to wound up what others are doing on the water, ramps, social media etc.. Not one of us in here is an expert in everything fishing and boating related. Always things to learn.

Everyone does things a different way in regards to this hobby. Some like catch and release and some don't. If you do catch and release be respectful there are others that do fish for food, and that can't be discounted.

On flip side you can't sit back and judge others that want to be out on water fishing despite the regulations.

I find the best thing you can do is just go fishing, and do what makes you happy out there.

And no I am not for non-retention right now.
I would have retained two or three springs in these non retention times from april to august and let the other ones go anyways. Sure happy I kept fishing and continue to fish.I do not know how catch and release is not practice by everybody even in the retention times.

Back