THE WORK CHANNEL

Where would a couple of guys stay there? We wouldn't really have a good boat to stay on (no cuddy) or anything like that. Also how about fuel, is there somewhere for that around the fishing holes there?

[on the north end of dundas you could stay on a floating dock in goose bay, there may be a floating lodge coming back that for 60 bucks/night you get a bed and shower. I don't know if there is fuel on dundas maybe someone else does. Dundas is another 38km from the mouth of the work channel

quote:Originally posted by rimrock

[on the north end of dundas you could stay on a floating dock in goose bay, there may be a floating lodge coming back that for 60 bucks/night you get a bed and shower. I don't know if there is fuel on dundas maybe someone else does. Dundas is another 38km from the mouth of the work channel

38 km? - I seem to recall from my time up there that coming from Eagle Pointe Lodge on Whales Is., crossing Dixon Entrance to Goose Bay was 10 nautical miles. I would guess that the mouth of Work Channel would maybe be another 5 or so - or are you talking about the launch area in Work Ch.?

Goose Bay on Dundas is THE place to fish up there, for sure.

As far as gas goes, you might try Eagle Pointe Lodge on Whales (NW side). They don't sell gas, but might be able to help you out for a price. A couple of 5 gal. gerry cans would be a good thing to carry if you have the room.

I plotted these distances on my Nobletec. Boat Launch to the Mouth of Work Channel approx 26.5 NM, then accross to Goose Bay another 15.5 NM, using direct lines. Minimum of 42 Nautical Miles or just shy of 78 KM's. All in all quite the long haul.

Kris the last time I fished Work Channel was 1995, and I understand the road has been improved, but at the time it took 2.5 hours to travel the 12 KM's from the highway in. One time I lost nut on my hitch ball, another time I saw the molten remains of somebodies nice aluminium boat and a scortched hillside(battery arched and ignited gas fumes of too many jerry cans), third time we got a flat from the broken peice of somebodies kicker skeg. Not to scare you, but you have to be self-sufficient and prepared for anything.

First and foremost you need a 4WD to even think about launching on the beach. No ramp, just round beach rocks that will try to swallow your vehicle and trailer. There was no docks or anything when I went there.

Second no gas/no ice. My guess is that with any boat small enough to trailer in but big enough to fish safely your looking at 20-25 litres an hour of consumption or more. Round trip to the head you would be burning a minimum of 50 litres. Bring lots of jerry cans and remember my story of the molten hull and scortched earth.

This is wilderness camping and fishing period. No amenities. We never ventured further than the mouth and you would need a good boat to get back and forth to Dundas safely.

It would be roughly the same distance out of Prince Rupert Harbour where they do sell fuel, although your run is more in the open. If you are looking for an alternative to Kitimat, there are areas to fish out of Rupert that are a lot closer.

When I lived there, Work Channel was a 2-3 day drip done usually by locals as they were close to all the amenities. Most people just fished the mouth. If your boat is big enough to go to Dundas, then you did it out of Prince Rupert.

Good Luck

quote:Originally posted by Kris

Where would a couple of guys stay there? We wouldn't really have a good boat to stay on (no cuddy) or anything like that. Also how about fuel, is there somewhere for that around the fishing holes there?
With a good tent you can stay anywhere. Roughing it is part of the fun.:)

quote:Originally posted by taipan

The next inlet over is the Khutzamateen, the one with all the Grizzly Bears. Good luck with the tent.

Two years ago they were heli-logging in the area and improved the road quite a bit. I think it takes less than an hour now from the road to the beach.

I thought we were still talking about staying on Dundas, nobody mentioned the kuhtz. Besides you have to be careful with bears wherever you stay. There's nothing wrong with tenting it, if your smart about it.
quote:Originally posted by SeaWolf

quote:Originally posted by taipan

The next inlet over is the Khutzamateen, the one with all the Grizzly Bears. Good luck with the tent.

Was into Work Channel last June and had some excellent fishing off of Indian Head for Chinooks with spotty fishing at trail bay. The road into Work Channel (Lachmack FSR) has been upgraded, but is still a slow haul unless you want to trash your boat. I have been told that the floating lodge that was in there last year has been pulled - too bad.

Awsome info guys!!! I have a truck camper and generator so I am pretty much self sufficiant, but will probably need a couple of hewies to drop fuel off for me :) How are the waters up there in June? Thanks again!!!

Awsome info guys!!! I have a truck camper and generator so I am pretty much self sufficiant, but will probably need a couple of hewies to drop fuel off for me :) How are the waters up there in June? Thanks again!!!

There is a rock formation that looks like an indian head on the left after you exit the channel.

One thing nobody has mentioned is the forestry service used to look after the campsite but pulled everthing as the mountain is unstable during heavy rains (yes that can be any time) they had a slide a few years back that took out several of the spots people camped at but made a big open area. As mentioned I've seen more than one truck get really wet from parking it on the launch area, you have over 20' tides at time. If you still go good luck with your fishing, my family has fished there for 9 - 10 years, and wouldn't have missed the memories for anything

Back