THE WORK CHANNEL

Kris

Hey all,..I did a search of topics on the work cannel north of Prince Rupert but nothin'. Have any of you guys fished it before? And if you did is there a camp ground and boat launch up there? I have looked on a map, and it looks like there is a road that leads up that way, but I don't know anyone who has been up there...

There used to be a forsesty campsite at the end of the road but it has not been maintained for years. It still gets lots of use and can be quite crowded at times. The road in is an old forestry road about 12 miles long requires slow and careful driving.
Launching is a bit trickey depending on the tide as there is no ramp as such.
I think the distance by boat from Rupert to the mouth of the work channel is the same as from the end of the forestry road to the mouth is about the same. The only difference being the channel is not as rough as the outside that is why the smaller boats use the channel. Also there are no launching or parking fees.

How far from Prince Ruper itself is the drive? And how do I launch? I take it that the road does not lead right into the work channel?...Any help is great!!!

The forestry road is off the highway between Terrace and Prince Rupert. I am not sure of the distance from Rupert but I think it is about 80 kms from Terrace. The forestry road takes you to the end of the channel and you launch off the beach.

quote:Originally posted by Kris

Hey all,..I did a search of topics on the work cannel north of Prince Rupert but nothin'. Have any of you guys fished it before? And if you did is there a camp ground and boat launch up there? I have looked on a map, and it looks like there is a road that leads up that way, but I don't know anyone who has been up there...

I fished the area back in '95 when I worked for Eagle Pointe Lodge on Wales Island.

We only fished the mouth and a mile or two into the channel itself. I don't even recall hooking any fish there. Did have 4 Orcas come right up behind the boat while trolling there.

There is a nasty reef that when you troll the wall, as soon as you pass the mouth of Work Channel, the tidal flow pushes you out and right over this rock - it likes lead - a lot! :(

Also, if you are fishing Halibut here by drifting the bottom, it is very grabby, you can lose a lot of gear here.

Maybe we just didn't hit it at the right time - it is a very pretty area, and there are lots of good fishing spots just a few miles away.

If you don't feel like sharing the "good spots" with the whole site...PM me, and I can compansate you...what do you drink? Or if you don't drink how mush is your knowlage worth..let me know. I really like the thought of going to a good remote spot, and knowlage like yours is priceless....Thanks agian....

If you don't feel like sharing the "good spots" with the whole site...PM me, and I can compansate you...what do you drink? Or if you don't drink how mush is your knowlage worth..let me know. I really like the thought of going to a good remote spot, and knowlage like yours is priceless....Thanks agian....

Too bad I don't have my charts from up there. I'm having to look at Google Maps and they don't really show the detail of the area.

What size boat do you have? Is it big enough to overnight on for a few days?

If so, I would recommend heading over to Dundas Island at the mouth of Dixon Entrance on the south side, (north side of Dundas) at a place called Goose Bay if I recall correctly. I saw a 70lb Chinook taken there in May of '95 - Biggest fish caught in BC that year and he won the Diawa/Safeway derby.

Work the shorelines and structure of Goose Bay out to the point and to the little islands out front. This is good Chinook and Coho grounds at various times of the season. There is a lodge on Dundas where you could probably overnight. There are lots of Halibut and other bottomfish in this area too.

If there are lots of Pink Salmon around take a look at Whales Island. If you draw a line straight out of Work Channel to Whales Is. you will note a small bay with a small island out front. There is also a stream coming off of Whales Is. that Pinks spawn in. Great area for Halibut to hold in. I caught my biggest Hali there - 70 lbs. As well as many in the 40's and 50's - Use chunks of Pink Salmon on a circle hook. Drift bottom at 240'

If you want to send me a chart, I'd be happy to mark it up for you.

Kris - if you do go in be careful where you park as at high tide parts of the road are under water.

Are you saying that the road in can only be traveled on at low tide? Is there a good treed area up there where we could set up camp, and keep our baots? I am taking it that there isn't a floating dock or anything up there heh???

As far as spots to fish there I can't give you any good groundfish spots as still looking for them myself. As far as salmon go have had some success at Trail Bay and outside by Indian Head. Have noticed quite a few boats trolling from Trail Bay out to the mouth. There is a bad rip tide at the mouth that you have to watch. Outside there are usually quite a few boats, charters from Rupert, and Dolphins North Resort is close by and there boats are usually around. If there is a commercial opening there can be hundreds of boats around which makesfor interesting fishing. I have heard good reports about Wales Island but that far would be pushing the limit for our boat.

The campsite is divided into two parts and only part of the road between the two areas gets covered by water. There are some camp spots there and a lot of people camp there. It is a long run to the mouth (around 30 miles I believe) so comming back every night would use a lot of fuel. There is a private dock close to the mouth of the channel but I am not sure of what he charges to tie up. We usually launch one day, fish the afternoon, find a spot to anchor, fish the next morning and leave in the afternoon.

What kind of boat do you have? I just sold mine, so I am in the process of looking/buying a replacement for it. I will probably be buying around a 19-20 footer with some good 4stroke power and a backup trolling motor...I hear the work channel is fairly protected though, and doesn't get as crazy as the douglas channel that I have fished for years.

I have a 1996 l8 1/2 ft Campion Explorer with a ll5 hp Mercury. I have had it since 2004. We go to the work channel 2 or 3 times a year and Kitimat 3 or 4. At Kitimat we don't go too far down the channel. The big differences I have seen are that there isn't as much junk in the water at the work channel and when the whales are around at the mouth of the work channel it doesn't seem to affect the fishing but when the wales are in the Douglas the fishing is horrible. My son picks when and where we fish and he normally won't plan to fish out of Kitimat in the afternoon because he says the wind always comes up in the afternoon. I hate launching at the work channel but love the fishing. My son tells me I got spoiled on our first trip to the work channel as we landed 3 springs over 30 lbs in less than 30 minutes.

[Hey Kris the fishing at the mouth of the channel is great end of may early june. the commercial netters are usually there mid june, stay away. Last year the coho were in as well mid june. Watch the launch get out about 100ft before dropping your leg all the way down,
we will be there on the fifth of june.

Hey where in the work channel? Like I said, I have never fished there, but heard it is good fishing!!! I am told that from where you launch the boat on a beach or somthing that it is a long trip down it...like about 30 miles or so to where the fishing starts...Is this true?

[hey kris,
the road in is fine, alittle rough but nothing serious. from where you launch to the end of the channel is 48km. We have an 18ft. bayliner we take out, this year we are going to dundas if the weather is good. if not union inlet holds alot of chickens and salmon is usually good to the left of the mouth. If you want cod the mouth of the channel has a rock in it that if you drift off it you will limit out.

I have looked at going to Dundas,...Is that a trip that could be made in one day? or would a guy have to look a a place to stay for the night? Is there a good floating dock there, or do you just load up at the end of the day and launch in the morning again?

The fishing at Dundas is awesome. You could make it a one day trip but I'd prefer to relax and spend the night. You've already spent the money to get there, might as well get 2 days of fishing in. Watch the weather though.

Back