The time to speak up for our rights to salmon fish is now!

Hey I've been outta the loop for a while now with a newborn/work. Has DFO set a date as to when they'll have a decision by?

The new regs would go into effect April 1 so likely at 11:58 pm on March 31st...so maybe I missed something but with option B, when they state 1 Chinook / day I don't see what the definition of 1 chinook / day is. Traditionally I would read that at 1 per licensed angler but with so much in motion here does anyone have this defined? How different is that from the current regs, as it pertains to lower and upper Georgia Strait of last summer?

I always love it when they screw you on April fools day. Think BC Hydro, BC ferries and now DFO

so maybe I missed something but with option B, when they state 1 Chinook / day I don't see what the definition of 1 chinook / day is. Traditionally I would read that at 1 per licensed angler but with so much in motion here does anyone have this defined?

Scenario "B" currently says 1- hatchery Spring per day.
(one fish per licensed angler a day.)
It does not however mention any slot size restriction.
If this plays out, you can count on this as the new normal.

We need to wait. Again there has not been a decision. Yes it will go in on April 1st but to speculate right now is useless. It could be anything decided. Remember to keep sending in those letters and don't stop.

Seems to me there is something way bigger at play here. I can't figure it out though...its like a distraction ploy aka.(Trumpish)....
I voted the Liberal govt. in because Harper was muzzling and cutting the scientists...and yet, here we are again...where is the science? the scientists I talk to from the biological station seem as frustrated as we are .....they are not being heard...in fact the DFO has scientists to denounce the findings of their own scientists ? I mean wtf? how do we have a chance ? plan A & B are both a joke....this is smoke and mirrors people...

yeah ,

been in this game for some time now , its been a roller coaster since the 70's when i started my addiction of settin the hook...
to you newer fisherman addicts , the fishing back then was insane !! you did not have to go far to have NON stop action..
im a lightweight compared to some of you on here , and limited on what really happens behind the scenes ,,,
but..... your right , this year feels really different , im getting a really bad taste in my mouth about all these restrictions ,NOT feelin good
of whats coming , its like were running out of band aids , hoping for the best , please everyone , help out the best ya can , get those letters in ,
a full closure to Aug 1 would be the end of it for ALOT of us , get somthing usable in place for 2019 , hope for the best for 1 more year,,,,
this is all so crazy ...

my letter is sent !!!

Felix

Last edited:
Plan B is much like we had in Area 14 this past season. I can live with Plan B. If need be, I can live with Plan A, but Plan B still allows for the opportunity to take fish home, but has a conservation impact also. It still seems that businesses are going on okay under Plan B.

Scenario "B" currently says 1- hatchery Spring per day.
(one fish per licensed angler a day.)
It does not however mention any slot size restriction.
If this plays out, you can count on this as the new normal.

I primarily fish in what would be defined as Georgia Strait North, and later in the Summer / Fall in the South. To me Plan B in the North Strait is the same as last Summer. 1 hatchery per day in the South Georgia Strait should be interesting as I don't recall picking up more than one hatchery Spring all season long.

I still don't see where it is exactly defined as "one fish per licensed angler a day" nor is it defined as "number of fish per trip"...the later matters since if you go on a 4 day trip to a lodge but are limited to 2 fish per trip until you arrive at your permanent place of residence and your count resets. Anyway in my mind, it is an election year and we are being given a worst case scenario "A" and a somewhat more palatable scenario "B"...the later will drive folks up the Strait into the Northern areas and sporties will need to modify their species strategies regardless.

Any way you slice it I am still looking forward to pushing the boat off the docks this Summer. Cheers

Sent my email/letter but if history repeats I bet its on deft ears, my other 20 or so received 1 non automatic reply. I am really torn on the Chinook issue, I spend $1000 a day to fish sails, marlin or other billfish around the world yet feel different in my backyard for chinook salmon. My issue is I still don't see this as a real benefit for increases for chinook spawning, do see as political BS as we all know who and what will remain normal or increase. When I release a billfish all users are on the same page, and #1 its about the FISH. Time will tell where BC Tidal water sport fishing goes.

HM

the later matters since if you go on a 4 day trip to a lodge but are limited to 2 fish per trip until you arrive at your permanent place of residence and your count resets.

If plan "B" happens, there will be a two day possession limit in effect.
therefore 2 Hatchery Springs only in possession on a multi day trip.
(of course they could change that, but why would they ?)

If plan "B" happens, there will be a two day possession limit in effect.
therefore 2 Hatchery Springs only in possession on a multi day trip.
(of course they could change that, but why would they ?)

Agreed in the South Georgia Straits but the North Georgia Straits wouldn't be restricted to hatchery fish it seems. Based on that document I think there is more definition to come.

Considering how few of our hatchery fish are actually marked, this makes one marked per day a bad joke! If the whole sport fishing industry,all of us,don't take the mismanagement of this resource by DFO public, and demand an immediate, serious
Chinook enhancement program, everything that relies on this resource, the SRKW, the Fraser Chinook, and the possibility of us still having a sport fishery, are toast. The time to act is NOW!

Sent mine to My mp Carla Quattro 5 days ago and still haven't even got an auto reply so sick of all this and the lack of interest by our West coast politicians to the effects there head in the sand decisions are having

Typical that as the DFO puts out this sort of proposal , another fisheries minister loses in court over PRV testing.
https://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2019/02/won-round-2-but-will-it-make-a-difference.html

Gov't ignores the courts, fascism anyone?

This is an odd statement

However, one of the unfortunate things that has happened in recent years is the formation of large coalition has meant funds from its members have been withdrawn from my work. I have reduced costs as much as I can, living the past 5 years without running water and much more to keep the science on PRV advancing. If I hadn't published the 1st paper on PRV in BC, would any information on PRV be public today? I think there has to be non-government work breaking the ice to allow research from inside DFO to make it out into the daylight.”

Back