The "New" Restrictions on Chinook Are Up

I lost my **** on DFO in the Spring meeting, They have been preaching conservation for fraser chinook but there is a real possibility they will 1000+gilnets in the river and ocean for sockeye this year starting sometime after August 1.

I said so "******* chinook conservation only matters if there is not a sockeye fishery"

Then they had the ******* gull to tell me oh there only chinook stocks of concerns around till mid august. I said so ******* open the ocean to chinook fishing then mid august.

******* silence

ITS 100% polotical ********

I lost my **** on DFO in the Spring meeting, They have been preaching conservation for fraser chinook but there is a real possibility they will 1000+gilnets in the river and ocean for sockeye this year starting sometime after August 1.

I said so "******* chinook conservation only matters if there is not a sockeye fishery"

Then they had the ******* gull to tell me oh there is chinook stocks of returns around till mid august. I said so ******* open the ocean to chinook fishing then mid august.

******* silence

ITS 100% polotical ********

Yeah I feel for you guys on mainland right now. Nevertheless you always have a space on my boat if you make it over here on island sometime...

Yeah I feel for you guys on mainland right now. Nevertheless you always have a space on my boat if you make it over here on island sometime...
The way our fisheries are conducting themselves, the island could be the next. Government pushes the envelope as much as it can in every aspect unless there is substantial resistance from the general public. They always look for the easy path, It's just the nature of the beast.

Here Kittie kittie...... Please lead on fearless one :)
As a commercial troller, I got kicked off the water by DFO decades ago, I have essentially quit sport fishing for salmon for the last 10 years, the same can be said for steelhead fishing, but I have gotten pretty good at catching trout. No DFO, seals, alaskans or ocean survival stuff to deal with. That being said, I do know how passionate those that remain salmon fishing are. If you want to save anything, more meetings with DFO and useless letter writing campaigns will not get the job done. Doing the same old same old will get more of the same old results.

we could organize a every one take their boat out and fish day, let the DFO come out, dare them to try and stop it. If they show up your just Catch releasing hatchery Coho

It will just be put on the news and twisted negatively. Any actions need to be done legally in the courts. But how do you do that? Most people who sport fish won't pay for it so were kind of stuck.

As a commercial troller, I got kicked off the water by DFO decades ago, I have essentially quit sport fishing for salmon for the last 10 years, the same can be said for steelhead fishing, but I have gotten pretty good at catching trout. No DFO, seals, alaskans or ocean survival stuff to deal with. That being said, I do know how passionate those that remain salmon fishing are. If you want to save anything, more meetings with DFO and useless letter writing campaigns will not get the job done. Doing the same old same old will get more of the same old results

I hear the same thing from the same few people all the time as most of you from as far as i can see are not involved in any of what is actually going on... so it's so very easy to say try something else doesnt work ect... So fire it my friend :) remembering many of thing in the public eye would have negitive impacts on what you are wanting as results. Lots of moving parts and everything needs to be thought out... There is really 2 things that are asked of anglers that would help most... #1 send letters when asked #2 join in your local SFAC- numbers speak volume.. lack of numbers well i dont need to say....

It will just be put on the news and twisted negatively. Any actions need to be done legally in the courts. But how do you do that? Most people who sport fish won't pay for it so were kind of stuck.
also.. the right case needs to come up that can be won....You only have a couple bullets for the gun to be spent... period

We should be challenging the ability to retain clipped fish , there is your case , so much info there in our favor , im sorry but writing letters does absolutely nothing except help the government. Do the math they no how many anglers vs how many letters are sent in , which is a very small percentage , they dont fear us , its all about votes which we cant impact. We can never win if your to afraid to lose .

We should be challenging the ability to retain clipped fish , there is your case , so much info there in our favor , im sorry but writing letters does absolutely nothing except help the government. Do the math they no how many anglers vs how many letters are sent in , which is a very small percentage , they dont fear us , its all about votes which we cant impact. We can never win if your to afraid to lose .

That isn't the only thing that is done. Yes we should be challenging but your not going to get a lawyer for free these things cost money. And as Derby mentioned you only have few chances get it right. Get it wrong were going to be worse off.

We should be challenging the ability to retain clipped fish , there is your case , so much info there in our favor

Lets game out this theoretical case of SFI vs the Crown. Id imagine that would also have many interveners like First Nations and ENGOs.

If I was a lawyer for said ENGO Id argue that MSF still have catch and release mortality on wild stocks of concerns. That hatchery releases compete with wild stocks of concern and hatchery fisheries does not aligned with DFO wild salmon policy.

If I was a lawyer for First Nations Id argue that Said MSF Circumvent FSC priority were recreationally fisheries will have catch and release mortality on stocks that First Nations have been extremely limited in their ability to access.

DFO lawyers will probably argue all of the above but also state things like the mark rate in most areas is currently inadequate to support MSF. They will also state the allocation policy, wild salmon policy, FN stuff, reconciliation stuff ect ect ect.

Im sure Rec lawers can come up with some good counter points to all this but how that will sit with a judge is anyone's guess IMO.

That's not saying hiring a team of lawyers is off the table for the rec sector, last I hear it is very much on the table for Allocation policy negotiations coming up.

As a commercial troller, I got kicked off the water by DFO decades ago, I have essentially quit sport fishing for salmon for the last 10 years, the same can be said for steelhead fishing, but I have gotten pretty good at catching trout. No DFO, seals, alaskans or ocean survival stuff to deal with. That being said, I do know how passionate those that remain salmon fishing are. If you want to save anything, more meetings with DFO and useless letter writing campaigns will not get the job done. Doing the same old same old will get more of the same old results.
Ha, another bass fisherman....see, bass are the new Chinook.

Can anyone remember the last time we came into a new spring/summer season of fishing and DFO had good news to share regarding summer Chinook? I can't, just more and more bad news and restrictions. No wonder they made it catch and release they were depressing even themselves with their incompetence each year. Now they have bottomed out and can't go any further so they might feel better now. . Why are they still the managers?

Back