The future of car and marine electronics. Ipad and tablets

Birdsnest

About 3 years ago i had installed in my truck what was to be a top of the line Alpine sterio with Bluetooth phone, I phone compatibility, navigation and a back up camera. After about a 1200 bill for this which did not include speakers i found the whole system is basically useless. It does play music from my I phone and the back up camera does work but the navigation was always a disaster even after a hard fought up date which was like getting blood from a stone. I know that even since I first bought it blue tooth streaming has been perfected and this is great but I now refuse to buy a car stereo. My plan is to have an ipad mini installed for my music, radio, back up camera and navigation and why wouldn't I. These systems are constantly being updated by the designers for free and usually are working flawlessly. They are updateable, re programmable, and have the ability to interchange software.
To me its a no brainer to start using these platforms (ipads etc) and multi task items in every day life. They already are but there is still so much room for growth. My question when will other components like radar and sounders become I pad compatible. I myself am sick of upgrading all the time to new screens and other crap. Over the years I have bought so many electronic that it makes me sick trying to stay up to date.
I think its time for a change and I wonder which company's will jump to it first.
Imagine having an ipad in your boat that did everything. Navigation, music, radio, sounder, radar. Its totally possible.

If Apple has it's way with I-phones,I-tunes,I-pads,I-pods etc.......the world will be dominated by Apple.

I hate I-tunes and I-pods.

I do not like the way they try to get a strangle hold on you by redirecting everything to I-tunes.

I do not like Apple. They are masters of inventing and manipulating "Electronicrap"....devices that are marketed like Cocaine and Meth. A free sample to get you hooked and then multi-level layers of product to get you to "upgrade".

It is no longer "planned " obsolescence........the item is obsolete when you buy it.

Future generations of that particular product are already finalized and blue-printed as we speak.

It is no longer "planned " obsolescence........the item is obsolete when you buy it.

Items become obsolete if the person wants the next version, or if it can't be used anymore. If you buy something for a purpose and it does it fine, there is no reason to get the next version other than it wearing out or you want that greener pasture.

I have a beat up iphone 3gs that eventually got retired as being my phone only because my plan gave a free one. It is now and has been my boat phone for photos, extra device for at the back of the boat, etc. It's held up great and does all of the same things that I ever wanted from an iphone/ipad on a boat. So....this device would be considered obsolete by the some standards, but it is still doing the job it was meant to do.

I am a true believer that Ipads and boats mix very well. I have used one originally on my little 10.5' RIB, and safely navigated all over Southern Vancouver Island and even up to Hesqueit from Tofino. No other equipment needed than an Ipad in a waterproof case, and a handheld VHF for safely. Show me another single device(Aside from an android/similar tablet/phone device) that can do that and the beers on me.

Now that I have a boat that actually have a depth sounder, I see ways that can take the ipad to the next level....but don't have the cash at the moment...

If I did....

I would get one of these or similar...http://brookhouseonline.com/imux.htm
run: INav X

This now enables you to take the all of the outputs from the devices you already have, such as depth, fuel consumption, wind speed, GPS, etc, and have it all in one view on a chart....but on any ipad, iphone, android, etc on the boat over wifi. I would think it won't be long before they have the Navionics Sonar Charts capabilities for the ipad also. http://www.navionics.ca/en/sonarcharts

Just my .02...which now I guess rounds down to zero with no pennies....

In all of this.....and we are going this way; don't forget....without wi-fi it all runs on cell networks (meaning anything streamed etc) and in Canada we get bent over the gunnel with that pricing.

I like your thinking Chris, but bear in mind that all these manufacturers are already ten steps ahead of us. As consumers we can imagine where things are going......only to an extent.

AP those links are pretty cool.

Can see an iPad backup for sure, but the sonar charts are really interesting. Have to look into the platinum charts though, and how easy to upload/download.

Raymarine has some pretty cool features for using your phone or tablet as a second unit wirelessly.

[W5Tks9hJj-s] http://youtu.be/W5Tks9hJj-s

I have been looking into the Raymarine stuff lately. Still a little to Gucci for my wallet.

Back