Telegraph Cove Campground

tinboatrobb

Heading to north island in early September for some fishing and am looking at camping at this camp ground. Will have the 14 ft lund and want to know if the campsite is what the website says it is. Anyone been there or know about it. Thanks.

Telegraph Cove has about everything you could need.. Bar, restaurants, marina etc A very nice deluxe location. A little more rustic location but still has a launch and small marina is Alder Bay.( Right on way to Telegraph) I stay there for 3-4 days each spring. At each location you are right on the straight and tides & current can really move. Would be really exciting, most days, in 14' tinny. Try to pick a long flat tide few days!! Good Luck

My father and I fished Telagraph for years in a 14' tinny and a 15 horse kicker. Fished it for weeks at a time back in the early 80's. Only thing that ever kept us off the water or close to camp was the fog. Other than that just be carefull and use your best judgement and you will be fine. We fished out around Sointula and well out into the straight for Coho. Good luck and have fun.

My dad and i have gone there the last 4 summers. Good campground its exactly what u see online. You do have to drive from the campground to the launch though. Also just pay for moorage its reasonable and it beats launching the boat at 6am. Fishing as someone else said is hit and miss, we usually never fish salmon just ground fish, the area is fished pretty hard

If you're looking for quiet and the ability to walk from your campsite to the boat launch, then definitely check out Alder Bay. Much less "touristy".

Thanks for the replies. Still a toss up between Campbell river and Telegraph Cove. Nice to know Telegraph Cove resort has a good reputation.

Will be at Telegraph Cove in August.
We now stay at the newer Telegraph Cove Marina next door.
Much nicer marina but not the same camping experience, however, we spend most of our time on the water anyway.
Marine fog may be an issue for you in Sept, it certainly gets thick in the mornings in August.
Great area!

I can only assume the "camping experience" means dirt everywhere, mosquitos that will carry your pets away, and everything you bring will be soaking wet until 3 days after you get home. In addition the floats at the "old" marina are downright dangerous.

Not negative.....just my experience. The resort next door is fantastic, new docks zero tide ramp. campground where everything works.. just the facts

Great info for comparison bigbruce... this will be our 26th consecutive season at Telegraph cove . We have stayed in the "new" side since it opened. If you want to feel like you are in a rainforest camp on the hill...just my opinion

Only thing bad about the new side is the sewer smell!!! It was horrible last time we camped there, could not sit outside our unit without throwing up, requested to move across the other side of the campground by the fire pit.

My goodness that place has changed, haven't been there since 1982 lol.. We started going to the area in 1978, we camped on the gravel at the boat launch at Bear Cove the first 2 years then in 1980 I believe was the first year the campsite at Telegraph opened,, it was pretty rough yet but a darn nice place.

Dirt, wet, and Mosquitos,, lol just part of the experience man I love it..

Thank you for the replies. We have decide that Browns bay is the likely place we will stay. Sounds like the Resort is a nice place and does have a few tent sites. We were told not to go right when leaving the marina. Stay north of the narrows. Telegraph was just a little far for the first camping/fishing trip. We hope to have to return to Victria with our possesion limit and CR is much closer.

Back