Tales From The Tyee Pool.......2015

If by "elitist group" you mean literally anybody that wants to fish there with a self propelled craft? Kayaks, stand up paddle boards, float tubes and tin boats have all fished there without any issues. If I take a ski boat to a 10hp lake (provincial I know) and start wake boarding in defiance of the "elitist" group of boat owners who managed to get the rules changed on that particular lake I would be in trouble.
Rules are rules. I am not allowed to speed on the highway just as much as I am not allowed to fish with down riggers on my powerboat in the pool. It is no big deal. Follow the rules. There are other places to fish for tyees if you don't want to row. Go the green can and you have just as much a chance.

Made the CHEK news tonight (6:30) but no attribution for the traps.
Don't expect DFO to involve themselves.
Wisely I would think to avoid involvement, which would end in a court case, which would, if nothing else, result in another defeat for DFO versus aboriginal rights.
Although the Tyee Pool may have some recognition in law as a special place, it does not have any status as a area to which fishing restrictions need to be applied for conservation purposes, which would, I think, be required for DFO to be able to have special regulations for the area.

If anything, the restrictions on angling in the Tyee Pool are a relic of the colonial past, in which an elitist group of anglers wish to maintain a historical method of angling, without motors but with the services of a gilley to man the oars and provide guidance.

Not trying to rile anybody, but it could just as easily have been a couple of good old boys from Alberta, Vancouver, or Courtenay trolling through the Pool area with downriggers etc that caused the consternation. The response may have been similar, and I too would have been ticked off.

Never fished the Pool, don't expect I ever will, but just having the possibility out there, with the Pool remaining in some degree of purity, is worth preserving, and I hope they can.

Though I'm sure the rowers are happy to have the pool to themselves, the no motoring regulations were not put in place to restrict angling for conservation measures. The issue was safety. Having fished the pool in the early 80's I can attest to what a zoo it was. Take 30 row boats. Add a dozen power boats trolling, another dozen jiggers boats free drifting and then motoring back up to the top of the bar, the beehive of speeding boats travelling to and from the FW marina, which at the time was pretty much the only marina. Heavy aircraft use to use the pool as the runway. It was crazy.

Eventually the inevitable happened, a power boat set off, and as the bow raised they failed to see the elderly couple (friends of mine) in a row boat and ran it over. Injuring both, knocking both unconscious and into the water, wrecking the boat. It was amazing no one died.

An interesting side note of that day. The elderly couple were out pursuing their second Tyee off the day. The fish Lois had landed earlier had been left on shore after being weighed in at the club house at whopping 55lbs.

Not much new to report as fishing effort diminished greatly the past few days with the strong winds making things tough.

No new Tyee since the 8th. and reduced numbers of undersized ones also.

Some have moved into the river already as Hydro starts their pulsing routine to allow more volume into the Campbell to induce upstream migration.

Some were harvested at night some time ago via gillnet and, with but two days left counting today, it doesn't look like any large number of Tyee will be added to the 15 so far, although it has been a good year for under-size fish so there has been steady action for the most part.

Here's a pic of Steve and Gary with their 31 pounder.

15-300x225.jpg

So long for now and wish us luck these last two nights.

I need some.

Take care.

And so it ends, but not quietly, as we witnessed a lovely fireworks display just after dark courtesy of persons unknown to me at this time.

The usual gang of rowers, rod-holders and rebels without a cause were observed hanging about at the clubhouse and many stories were exchanged and ideas debated.
Donuts were also devoured.

I, having proudly rowed my rod-holder into the best Cabezon of the evening, much to her delight, lobbied long and hard for a new category to be adopted, the Biggest Cabezon On The Last Night Award, but nobody went for it so I went home, sans-award and alone, but not before filching a donut.
That'll teach 'em.

And, as it turns out, I managed to win something in one of the draws held after I left, a jacket yet to be retrieved, so it's all good.

Here's the big fish of the season, the 41 1/2 pounder boated by Floyd Ross with rookie rower Brett Gardner on the oars.

I'm personally very happy that Floyd got the big fish and that a rookie rower rowed it. Floyd does an awful lot for the club and is one of the good guys for sure.

In the elite group of rowers Randy Killoran stood alone again this year, rowing four of fifteen Tyee, not a bad haul considering he quit rowing a week early to start school in Victoria.

Recapping fish-wise, it seemed there were a lot of fish caught that would have been 30 pounds in other years, what with the number of 29 pounds some ounces fish this year, not to forget many others in the 26 to 28 pound range but long enough normally.
Poor pasture this past year related to the "blob" seems to have kept this year's fish more towards the long and lean side of the spectrum and with a strong El Nino just about upon us we may see more smaller fish these next few years returning and then perhaps smaller numbers overall down the line as the warm waters bring many salmon predators along for the ride and that's not good.

Hopefully the new program at the Quinsam hatchery can keep the big fish genetic stock alive and well into the future and we'll see a return to better ocean conditions in the post El Nino era, when the first offspring from the program head seaward.
Sometimes timing is nearly everything, as weird as that sounds.

Aloha from the Tyee Pool and if anyone finds an old Shovel-nose Lucky Louie plug anywhere let me know.

I need one for my quiver to replace the one the snag traps got from me.

Take care.

Dave
Thanks for all the great reports. AND, once again, thanks for taking my friend Jim and myself out for a row. We're both pumped up about fishing the pool again next year. I waited way too long for the great experience that so many Tyee Pool fishermen have enjoyed for almost a century. Nice to see a simpler, quieter way to enjoy fishing!
Adios Amigo
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
A sincere "thank-you" Dave, for another season's reports, we appreciate it. Like Stosh said, "a simpler, quieter way to enjoy fishing" (not just the catching).

My weeks away kept me from a promise to visit the pools for a registerd tyee have past ,I was busy with other adventures.thank you dave for the positive posts.keeping the spirit alive with exersize in the outdoors.i will post again here when i find a treasure.

Sorry to see this thread gone for another season. I have enjoyed all the ups and downs of it. Sure hope to do it some day as my dad fished the pool as a child over 70 years ago growing up near by.

Thanks Dave for all your great input. Great to see such an advocate for this tradition. Sure hope some day the arrogance and ignorance can stop with some of the recent shinanigans with a disturbed few.

Thanks again to all specially Dave H

Thanks for the kind words indeed and once again, the pleasure was all mine.

Certainly WAS an interesting year, although my rowing skills failed all my faithful rod-holders as far as hooking fish went, and I'm not happy about that.

To end the year on a cheery and light-hearted note, here's a "selfie" taken by my lovely rod-holder on the last evening, not long before we managed our conquest of the year, a Cabezon, to date the only fish she's ever boated in the Tyee Pool.

Baby steps.........baby steps. LOL

Tight lines to all and...........

Take care.

Thanks so much for this thread. Always enjoyable.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back