Tackle and Equipment Storage

Murry

I'm looking for a bit of advise. I live in AB and just a bought a boat that will be kept in BC at a small private marina on the west coast. I'm not sure what to do about the tackle and equipment between trips and at the end of the year. I don't want to bring back with me to AB between trips. The owner of the marina says its should be safe just to leave it on the boat. I'm OK with most of the stuff, but what about rods and tackle boxes? What do most people do? I have looked in self storage units as an option. What do most people do?

Thanks in advance.

make pals with a fellow who lives in the local area and
ask for freezer space .....lol
drop some funds and beer
then i am sure he'd look after some of your tackle or valuable stuff.

If you're willing to keep your boat at a marina and not worried about someone stealing it, I can't see tackle being a larger issue??? If there'a spot to lock it up inside the boat, out of site I'd think you're good. If the boat layout is such that you can't hide your gear and lock it away then yes, I'd either bring it home or find a local lockup -- maybe the marina would provide safe storage?

There are always exceptional circumstances, but most of the thieves are opportunistic. If stuff is well hidden and locked away most will just move on.

leave it all in the boat up front then have the boat pulled otta water and shrink wrapped. as ten mile said if its otta sight they will move on.

If leaving for extended periods of time I would try to find something/somewhere for storage. Boat break-ins are the "norm" down here now be they locked or not. Had a few friends who had their boats broken into at RVYC which has people there around the clock.

Have had friends with boats broken into in the river in Richmond, in North Van....etc It sucks but it's the way it is right now.

Worst case scenario pay a bit as you researched for a "store it" type facility.

Firstly, trust no one! Second, do you have expensive gear? Islander reels, Sage rods? What about your electronics? I'd be more worried about that new chart plotter, fish finder and don't forget the downriggers! I suspect most thieves are after high price items they can sell on Craigslist or EBay, standard rods and reels are unlikely targets (but I'd still at least hide them). How do you commute from AB to your boat? Fly or drive? If you drive, take it home with you. It's a pain to load it all up, but you'll sleep better and you get to work on your gear during the off season! If you fly, then you might want to rent a small locker to put your electronics, tackle boxes (all those lures add up), rod & reel, downriggers......and don't forget to get a stout lock.

Back