Synthetic Wire Rope for Trailer Winch

pescador

I'm looking at swapping out my wire cable on my boat trailer electric winch with synthetic wire rope. I hear its lighter, same diameter can handle far more weight, and, most importantly, it doesn't build up kenetic energy which means no snap back if the cable breaks. It just drops to the ground.
Anybody out there ever swapped their wire cable out for Synthetic? I know its expensive, but, my fear is always having that cable break when it gets up to the end of the load cycle and having it hit me. This seems to be a solution to that risk.

Deadly stuff never used it for trailer's but I have it on all my quads have an extension for my truck 40000lbS.I have 1000 feet of 1/4 inch am steel we use to pull Moose out.Over time and along logs it does wear but that's because we abuse it. I had it snap once at weak spot trying to pull 2 moose out together though it just fell to the ground there is no stretch at all.Expensive as hell but I got a smoking deal on my stuff.Not sure what size or how much you need but there's good deals online.

I'm looking at swapping out my wire cable on my boat trailer electric winch with synthetic wire rope. I hear its lighter, same diameter can handle far more weight, and, most importantly, it doesn't build up kenetic energy which means no snap back if the cable breaks.

We have used Dyneema synthetic cable for rigging. - 1/4", suitable for wire rope replacement on a boat winch, is rated over 5000# breaking strength. It was a little over $1 per ft. I've seen it at chandlers, off road stores and safety supply outlets. Also on e-bay, as CCB says.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-50-X-1...r-Cable-15mx6mm-/290743832524?forcev4exp=true

Synthetic Winch Rope:
Features:
•Blue 50' x 1/4" Synthetic Winch Rope
•Constructed From World's Strongest Dyneema SK-75 Fiber
•Breaking Strength: 5250 lbs.
•Stainless Steel Thimble for Hook Attachment ( Hook is not included)
•Comes with Protective Sleeve to Prevent Overheating and Slippage on the Winch Drum
•Extremely Light, Floats in Water
•Minimal Stretch and Non Rotational
•Stronger Than Traditional Steel Cables
•Easy to Handle, No Sharp Frays
•Easily Spliced
•Good Resistance to UV and Chemicals
• Workable below -20 degree centigrade

Thanks guys. Sounds like it'll work then. I need 10,000 pull weight, probably 50 feet of it. I'll seach further on line. Also, do you recall how you attached to your drum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Am steel blue 12000 lb breaking strength for 1/4 g go to Seattle marine online. .74 cents a foot. Smoking deal here it's $1-3 foot

I use it on Jeep winch, 3/8 on drum and 7/17 as an additional 100 feet. 7/16 is about 20,000 +++ pound pull. Different brands, way different prices.

i'm definitely looking for quality and safety. Don't want something from offshore if you get my drift.....Ill try Seattle Marine. Thanks again guys....

Back