Swimbaits and Lingcod

Nemytalu

Hi all - I'm new to pursuing lingcod and have never really used swimbaits before. This weekend, I hit a few pinnacles between Sidney and Oak Bay and there was no shortage of bites and a nice keeper. But did I ever pay a price on those swim bait bodies! Huge chunks out of the middle. Full tails ripped off. I even had one with both eyes rippped off! It seemed every time I put a fresh plastic/rubber replacement on, it'd be savaged by something down there. Assuming these were lings. I'm surprised how destroyed they were and the lack of durability, despite claims of their manufacturer. Am I doing something wrong? Are there ones that last a bit longer than a half day?

Hi all - I'm new to pursuing lingcod and have never really used swimbaits before. This weekend, I hit a few pinnacles between Sidney and Oak Bay and there was no shortage of bites and a nice keeper. But did I ever pay a price on those swim bait bodies! Huge chunks out of the middle. Full tails ripped off. I even had one with both eyes rippped off! It seemed every time I put a fresh plastic/rubber replacement on, it'd be savaged by something down there. Assuming these were lings. I'm surprised how destroyed they were and the lack of durability, despite claims of their manufacturer. Am I doing something wrong? Are there ones that last a bit longer than a half day?
Interesting, the ones I use usually get snagged on something before getting destroyed like that. I use some admundson and Savage Gear ones.

That’s why I just use lead head jigs and the cheap scampi tails. A fraction of the cost and a little more durable.

Hi all - I'm new to pursuing lingcod and have never really used swimbaits before. This weekend, I hit a few pinnacles between Sidney and Oak Bay and there was no shortage of bites and a nice keeper. But did I ever pay a price on those swim bait bodies! Huge chunks out of the middle. Full tails ripped off. I even had one with both eyes rippped off! It seemed every time I put a fresh plastic/rubber replacement on, it'd be savaged by something down there. Assuming these were lings. I'm surprised how destroyed they were and the lack of durability, despite claims of their manufacturer. Am I doing something wrong? Are there ones that last a bit longer than a half day
That’s wild, I use lighthouse lures megabites or whatever, and hali hawg tails on jigheads. Must be good fishing if your gettin em bit off all the time!

I use Gorilla Glue at home and rebuild many of mine that get savaged after drying them out. I also like Aces suggests just buy cheap lead heads and cheaper tails. They all work on lings and rockfish.

On this swim bait topic.......How do you folks fish them? I have heard so many great things about swim baits but I haven't been able to catch a damn thing on them. However, as soon as I switch back to a standard herring/needle fish imitation jig I'm right back on the fish. I've tried hanging a swim bait a few feet of bottom and letting the current work the tail, I've tried reeling it up quickly 10 or 15' at a time to entice a Ling but so far nothing has worked for me. I'm doing something wrong but can't figure it out.

On this swim bait topic.......How do you folks fish them? I have heard so many great things about swim baits but I haven't been able to catch a damn thing on them. However, as soon as I switch back to a standard herring/needle fish imitation jig I'm right back on the fish. I've tried hanging a swim bait a few feet of bottom and letting the current work the tail, I've tried reeling it up quickly 10 or 15' at a time to entice a Ling but so far nothing has worked for me. I'm doing something wrong but can't figure it out.
I tend to jig mine a bit, then do a big pull almost laterally to simulate a little swim, them go back to jigging a bit. My friend tends to slow retrieve and does well.

I tend to jig mine a bit, then do a big pull almost laterally to simulate a little swim, them go back to jigging a bit. My friend tends to slow retrieve and does well.
Thanks, I guess I'll give them another try. I'm probably just not putting enough time in.

Thanks, I guess I'll give them another try. I'm probably just not putting enough time in.
I've had incredible luck with swim baits, but I've found that they get stale after I catch a ling in a good spot. The lines just catch on that its not real I figure. But in every new spot that I just start using them it turns into master ling fest.

My guess is your getting small rock cods tail thrashing your swim bait.

We have had good luck with them especially when there is some current or wind and metal jigs are blowing back to far chuck down a swim bait and jig it, if nothing happening I wind it up 20-30’ to give lings something to chase and drop it. Maybe a fish on the other side of the rocks hasn’t seen it til it’s up higher in the water column? Easy to lose fish on the retrieve if you like to pump and wind so just wind up slowly. Try putting an assist hook on as those lings grab the tail and don’t let go. Maybe that’s when the tail comes off?
we only drift for Hali and ling so you definitely lose less gear with the hook on top. Lighthouse Megabytes are pretty durable I think Gibbs sells them now. This green one must be 3 seasons old and maybe only on 2nd tail. I can’t believe I still have it. A number of Hali and lots of ling. Since last season I made up some new gear and upgraded rod reel, not sure it will make the fish bite more but I like the bling!

Attachments

• A31A9974-86B7-4BEB-ADA2-7F397610506A.jpeg
    A31A9974-86B7-4BEB-ADA2-7F397610506A.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 245
This is dogfish... Sometimes the rubber keeps them away, but often if there is a lot of them down there, they rip apart any bait.

I find that they work best when moving horizontally as they aren't really a vertical jig (although I have caught lings jigging them). I had success near Sidney and out of Port Alberni this year by trolling them very slowly near the bottom off of a down rigger. Caught halibut and lings this way. I also usually add a bit of bait to the hook to further entice the bite (usually a piece of herring or squid).

That’s why I just use lead head jigs and the cheap scampi tails. A fraction of the cost and a little more durable.
One Lead head with Gibbs split tail has gotten us 6 lings this year and 3 last year. I’m not sure it’s Gibbs since it was a friend who left it on my boat for me but I have two Gibbs ready to replace it. It just won’t die! I do a slower jigging action, and they hammer it pretty good, even the quail back rockfish about 4 of them as well. One dog fish bit it on the weekend but released with no fatal damage to the tail.

One Lead head with Gibbs split tail has gotten us 6 lings this year and 3 last year. I’m not sure it’s Gibbs since it was a friend who left it on my boat for me but I have two Gibbs ready to replace it. It just won’t die! I do a slower jigging action, and they hammer it pretty good, even the quail back rockfish about 4 of them as well. One dog fish bit it on the weekend but released with no fatal damage to the tail.
Nice fish. I've been using those scampi tails for years and have gotten a lot of lings and rockfish on them. However, I was convinced by some people that these Lighthouse lures Megabites are a must have and so far for us have been a total disappointment. I'll figure it out though.

Nice fish. I've been using those scampi tails for years and have gotten a lot of lings and rockfish on them. However, I was convinced by some people that these Lighthouse lures Megabites are a must have and so far for us have been a total disappointment. I'll figure it out though.
I had a white one I liked, got me a Hali or two. My orange one isn’t producing 3 keepers to 1(small ratio)

Last edited:
I had a white one I liked, got me a Hali or two. My orange one isn’t producing 3 keepers to 1(small ratio)
That white setup caused a lot of death over the years. 2nd best was root beer colored power grub

Back