Swimbaits and Lingcod

I cast them w/ a spinning rod from a boat and have tons of success. The people I fish with were skeptical at first but I have made them believers

I run keitech swimbaits pretty much exclusively, the biggest ones they make. Usually white and shad colours. I find them to be very durable, but I'm looking to start pouring my own because of the price. I'll run a larger salt water reel, 6500 or so and a rod capable of throwing 5 ounce lures. I use 50+lb braid usually direct tied to a 2-6 ounce jig head. Sometimes I'll run a flouro leader but I haven't noticed it making a difference.

I'll usually sit on top of a ledge and cast into deeper water and reel it up to keep it as close to bottom as possible. I don't lose too many to snags because of the braid.

As far as tails getting bit, if I lose a tail I tie on a stinger with steel leader line and push it up the inside of the swimbait body, then loop it around the hook shank of the jig head and crimp it. I'll push the hook into the body like a weedless bass rig. If they are short striking, this will hook them, but for the most part if its a big fish it will be on the jighead hook because it inhaled the whole thing.

Back