Swiftsure Bank

Stoisy

Hey Guys,

Swiftsure is an area that I want to venture out and try this summer. I am looking for a little advice on how most guys are fishing for halibut out there? Is there a lot of anchoring or are most guys drifting? What is the bottom structure like, mostly sandy, or is there some reef/rock mixed in?

Thanks!

First thing you will need to consider is the distance you will be traveling versus the amount of fuel your boat carries 19 miles at the closest so 40 miles return from Renfrew ,there are 2 main areas we fish 1 is directly in a major shipping lane ,proper equipment is essential radar etc there is no anchoring on that side period ! Anchoring has become a big part of how we hali fish but that said we do a lot of drifting as well ,this can be done on the south side in the shipping lane ,there are certain spots you will find where the bottom can be very sticky but this will come from trial and error,The north side offers miles of areas to drift and anchor with very reasonable safety ,the key is to study the areas and go for it,if you are keeping your boat in Renfrew ask myself or other guides and they will be more then accommodating on where the fish are at during that time period.

Hope that helps

Back