suzuki 9.9 issues

Hey just got back from fishing out sooke way. When I got home I started to flush my motors as usual but noticed right away my 07 9.9 suzuki wasnt peeing. I had it in a tub of water well above the intake on the leg. It was just blowing what looked like exhaust of the pee hole but not a drop of water. I shut it off because it was gettin too hot . It felt like it was trying to suck water when I put my hand over the intake but wouldnt. I was just using it all day and it ran like a top. I havent had the motor long so maybe im missing something here. Any ideas? Thanks

I did jam something up there and it didnt seem to be plugged. I will have a closer look at it in the morning though. thanks

If the hole isn't blocked, then it might be the impeller? If its not moving water, and it's overheating,
something like weed might have gotten sucked up, or blocked the intake, which can cause the impeller to cook. Hard to say, could be a lot of things......just my thoughts.

If the hole isn't blocked, then it might be the impeller? If its not moving water, and it's overheating,
something like weed might have gotten sucked up, or blocked the intake, which can cause the impeller to cook. Hard to say, could be a lot of things......just my thoughts.
I once had a jellyfish block the hole and this cooked it same as if sand gets sucked up I wouldn't run it at all if no water is coming through pull the leg and check impeller this is the cheapest fix or you will cook some thing expensive

ya i removed the intake grate and jammed something in the pee hole and neither seemed to work. I will do the impellor and hopefully that gets me going

You can try flushing it out by taking a garden hose and put your thumb over the end to make a strong jet of water and flushing backwards through the pee hole.

It's probably steam that is coming out that looks like exhaust.

Or give it a shot of compressed air through the pee hole....that worked on an engine of mine one time.....

I notice your engine is 2007....have you ever changed out the impeller on it?

Maybe impeller is worn out now....

i just got the motor so i dont know the history. I pulled the impellor and it has no missing fins but it does feel fairly stiff. I blew air through the rest of the system and it seems to be wide open. hopefully i can find some parts by next weekend!

If it was steam coming out the hole sounds like the thermostat is not opening. Stiff or not the impellor should still be working-good time to change but I would have a close look at your T-stat.

If it was steam coming out the hole sounds like the thermostat is not opening. Stiff or not the impellor should still be working-good time to change but I would have a close look at your T-stat.

I agree that checking / replacing the thermostat is a good idea but it isn't the cause of this issue. There should still be a good solid stream of water from the tell tale at startup. If it streamed water for 4-5 minutes and then turned to steam I would suspect thermostat but not in this case.

I took the thermostat out and boiled it and it did open so it appears to be fine. Im going to replace it anyhow and the impellor. Any other ideas? or do u all
figure its the impeller?

I took the thermostat out and boiled it and it did open so it appears to be fine. Im going to replace it anyhow and the impellor. Any other ideas? or do u all
figure its the impeller?

It's either the impeller, a blockage or there is a leak somewhere in the water circulation system. For example if the seal around the impeller base was leaking then there wouldn't be enough water pressure to cool the engine properly and you'd get the steam coming out the tell tale. Make sure you get the full impeller replacement kit that contains the new gaskets and seals.

Now that you've got the leg off, you could try sticking a garden hose up the water pickup tube in the leg. If you can get enough flow in there water should come out the pee hole. If you can manage to make water move through the system you can at least rule out blockage.

I blew air through the remaining pickup tube and could feel it coming out the pee hole so I dont think there is a blockage in that section. I appreciate the info on getting the full kit. Hopefully thats the problem.

It does sound like the impeller or Thermostat. If you have changed both and still not peeing I would recommend you take it to your local Marina.

Henry Nguyen
Legend Boats

Back