Superstitions - - you can't leave port without!

Finished Business

Someone mentioned on the WD40 thread, "fisherman's superstition could fill a book" , or something to that respect. Its always something I wanted to post, so now seems no better!

We've all got things we do, wear, bring, play, or even sing to help encourage the fish to bite. Just curious what makes you an oddball on the water!? WD40 is NOT an option!

Me, I have a pair of socks I got for free with some work boots almost 2 years ago, they looked warm as hell and I always meant to bring them out fishing, yet everytime I looked for them, they seemed to vanish. That was until we went for Tuna, found the socks, and the fish!

Prior to the socks it was another (free) item of clothing, a Guinness hat for all the frothy pints I downed at the pub. I put 2 dozen fish on that hat, lost it...and since I feel it is what stops the rock! I still catch but with that hat on, the box was always full (it seemed).

As well the usual track list of music and the odd west coast cigarette seem to get the fish going as well, sometimes ;)

get in....!

edit: Post 50. eat it holmes. :) haha

Mmmmm... that a good one...Most likely what hat's I wear...... I'm not worried about the "Banana's" Pippen... so you are welcome on board anytime...... ;)

I'm not worried about the "Banana's" Pippen... so you are welcome on board anytime...... ;)

Haha......I can figure out something else that starts with "B".....and it's not Babes. I may be good but trying to work magic between Departure Bay and the WCVI to find a few may be beyond my skillset. :p :eek:

Its ok to eat bananas before getting on the boat right? This is an old timey superstition, whats the real meaning behind it?

FishBC, any significance to the Eisenhower coin? Enjoy a good history read...

Yup...riggers are always set up on odd numbers only...the crew always likes to screw with that of course... ;)

Yup...riggers are always set up on odd numbers only...the crew always likes to screw with that of course... ;)
Yep that's one of mine as well. Port side rigger down before Starboard. Lucky fishing rods, lucky lures, lucky hat, lucky music - Led Zeppelin always catches fish, no bananas. Everyone on board brings a wallet with actual gas money in it ;-)

I need to work on that last one a little more.... "Everyone on board brings a wallet with actual gas money in it ;-)... :)

Its ok to eat bananas before getting on the boat right? This is an old timey superstition, whats the real meaning behind it?

FishBC, any significance to the Eisenhower coin? Enjoy a good history read...

My grandfather was a hobo turned cowboy in the very eary 1900's hopping train after train in the USA, trying to find his way through life. Eventually he ended up in North Dakota, and with change he had managed to collect he bought some mineral rights, and his first set of rights, was a windfall. Enough so that he managed to buy deed to minerals all over North Dakota, and a couple ranches as well. Eventually he moved to Canada, and bought acres near Dawson Creek, and when he passed on, the mineral rights in the states have all been handed down, and as it turns out, he bought all the mineral rights in the Bakken Oil Field which is at least as large as the Alberta Tar Sands. Twas his lucky dollar for the last few decades of his life, and hoping it will bring me fortune too! He was probably my favorite person in the world, ever. The stories I was told. When he was a kid they still had slaves on the farms in the states. Funny how far the world has come in just a few generations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am NOT wearing a Lions jersey AND listening to Zeppelin!!!! You better practice your man overboard drills to save your jersey!!!
No Problem Pip. If you really wanna listen to Nana Mouskouri, the Village people and Slim Whitman, I guess I can listen to it, if you bring it. Regrettably, I don't have music of that kind on board for you.

I tell you what, I'll leave the musical entertainment in your court. Bring an ipod of whatever you want to listen to. I'll make sure that camera batteries are fresh for good shots of the jersey irritating your skin. heehee.

I pm you a little later.

Cheers

No Problem Pip. If you really wanna listen to Nana Mouskouri, the Village people and Slim Whitman, I guess I can listen to it, if you bring it. Regrettably, I don't have music of that kind on board for you.

I tell you what, I'll leave the musical entertainment in your court. Bring an ipod of whatever you want to listen to. I'll make sure that camera batteries are fresh for good shots of the jersey irritating your skin. heehee.

I pm you a little later.

Cheers

;) ;) ;) I'll be wearing my Bombers "one piece" long johns underneath the jersey.......it's a superstition too!

Fire me an e-mail.....I am runnin' around through the weekend as my Dad's in town and then off to Hawaii on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its ok to eat bananas before getting on the boat right? This is an old timey superstition, whats the real meaning behind it?.

No pre-consumed bananas in your bowels....stomach.....no banana bread.....no banana in your lunch.....no "Dole" banana stickers on your tackle box......NO BANANAS!!! :p You can ask one of our members about it as his charter company is named after the Banana superstition.

We were out fishing off Tofino a couple of years ago and it was SLOW.....real SLOW....two hits in about 3-4 hours and both were long line releases. Well a friend of ours who was with us says "how about some lunch???" Well she pulls out the "lunch" basket and there is bananas in it.....I snapped....grabbed them and they were "lost at sea" very promptly. What ensued over the next 2 hours was some great fishing....4 of us limited out on springs and 3 nice hali's to boot. Superstition.....or is there more to it??? Hahaha.....just a personal anecdote.

Here is some info on bananas AND suitcases.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/fishing-superstition1.htm

[h=1]Bananas and Suitcases -- Fishing Folklore[/h] Two of the most enduring crab boat superstitions have to do with, of all things, bananas and suitcases. In both cases, these items are strictly forbidden onboard.

Many charter fishing boat crews have steadfast restrictions about bringing bananas on the boat. In fact, they'll return to the dock to purge the offending fruit [source: ESPN]. Some charters go so far as to prohibit Banana Boat brand sunscreen or Banana Republic brand clothes onboard. Fishermen have even been known to object to Fruit of the Loom underwear (one sport fisher claimed he's treated wearers to wedgies and then cut the labels out) [source: LA Times]. Oddly enough, the Fruit of the Loom graphic doesn't even have a banana on it, and some say the banana was left off because of this very superstition [source: Brincefield].

There are many theories on why people believe bananas are bad luck for a boat. One superstition is that boats carrying bananas don't catch fish. The origin of this belief dates back to the Caribbean trade of the 1700s. The wooden sailing boats of that time had to move quickly to deliver bananas before they spoiled, and fishermen had a hard time trolling for fish on such fast-moving boats, which is how the superstition came about. Another superstition that originated during that time is that bananas will cause a boat to sink. This belief developed after many boats never made it to their destinations, and all of the doomed boats were carrying bananas.

One of the creepier superstitions is that banana cargo could actually kill a man. In actuality, fermenting bananas do give off methane gas, which could conceivably get trapped below deck and kill any crew members unlucky enough to be working in the hold. Another popular theory was that venomous spiders hitched rides in bananas, and once those bananas were onboard, the boat would be host to any number of lethal critters. And then, of course, there's the theory that banana peels cause crew members to slip and fall on deck [source: Attah].
Suitcases onboard is a fishing boat no-no as well. Even when camera crew boarded crab boats to film Discovery Channel's reality series "Deadliest Catch," they were asked to leave their equipment suitcases on the dock [source: Deadliest Catch].

The origins of the suitcase superstition are murky, and the superstition has variations. For example, some sailors are superstitious of all luggage; some only ban black suitcases and bags. But everyone seems to agree that a suitcase is a harbinger of death or illness. Black bags are considered bad because black is the color of death and a metaphor for the depths of the dark, cold sea. Some fisherman say that travel bags resemble body bags, another obvious symbol of death.

Why do crab boat captains and crew hang on to these superstitions? Probably for the same reason the superstitions began. Even with modern understanding of science and weather patterns, we still perceive the sea as a mysterious and treacherous place. Beliefs and superstitions are passed down from generation to generation, from fisherman to fisherman, and it's a brave sailor who turns his (or her) back on tradition. Would you be willing to see what happens when you reject a centuries-old superstition?

My grandfather was a hobo turned cowboy in the very eary 1900's hopping train after train in the USA, trying to find his way through life. Eventually he ended up in North Dakota, and with change he had managed to collect he bought some mineral rights, and his first set of rights, was a windfall. Enough so that he managed to buy deed to minerals all over North Dakota, and a couple ranches as well. Eventually he moved to Canada, and bought acres near Dawson Creek, and when he passed on, the mineral rights in the states have all been handed down, and as it turns out, he bought all the mineral rights in the Bakken Oil Field which is at least as large as the Alberta Tar Sands. Twas his lucky dollar for the last few decades of his life, and hoping it will bring me fortune too! He was probably my favorite person in the world, ever. The stories I was told. When he was a kid they still had slaves on the farms in the states. Funny how far the world has come in just a few generations.

Probably one of the more interesting posts I've read on here.

always wair some sort of fishin t shirt,, bc tough did the best, thanks bobber and kelly,, second was the **** on dfo shirt, thanks rob.... and one my favs is "this is what i look like when i call in sick" compliments of nyrose fishn team.

Here's a few:

1. No bananas

2. Sacrificial drink spilled to the sea (just a bit) to feed the ocean when cracking a cold one

3. No negative bad karma talk

4. Always put your left shoe on first and tie it first

5. Always stop your rigger on uneven numbers

Back