Suggestions for CB's or hand held radios

fishhawk8

I'm thinking of getting a handheld radio for my boat. I would have preferred a mounted CB but space on board is fairly limited. I'm currently running a Campion Center Console and my dash is maxed for other electronics (GPS and Sounder). The sides of the console would be near to impossible to mount to also, as one side has the travel rod holders and cup holder, and the other side has the extinguisher and cup holder. These already get in the way when walking forward and aft.

I generally fish in Sooke (Pedder to Otter, depending on the weather) but have been known to frequent Renfrew, Alberni, Barkley Sound and the Oceanside areas.

Does anyone have any preferances on what would be compatible to a mounted CB in order to talk to my buddies while out there? And what about your dislikes, especially on the portables where battery life and range may be an issue.

Thanks to anyone that can provide a bit of info.

Thanks,
'Hawk

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

A CB??? I think you mean a hand-help VHF dont you???

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Ok, I stand corrected. That's why I asked,;) I don't know sheeeet about radios unless there's music coming from them.:D

Just looking for something that I can have on my boat to hail my buddies or Coast Guard, should the need arise. Safety first ya' know.[8D]

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

Remember that you need a license to have and operate a marine VHF radio on your boat. This requires a bit of study and writing an exam, nothing to strenuous but it does instruct you on how to operate the radio and frequencies to use.

For safety get a fixed mounted radio with an antenna rather than a handheld if you can find any ay possible to mount the radio. A handheld is limited to five watts maximum and the fixed radio is 25 watts.

Best option is a VHF radio with DSC (Digital Selective Calling( connected to your GPS. Get an MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) and when you press the distress key, the CG will knowthe location and who they are looking for.

A handheld can only be used on the boat. It is illegal to operate them from land or the dock.

The fine is around $250 if you get checked and don't have a license.

Don't bother with the hand held,a friend of ours uses one and the quality of the transmission is crap.Your life may depend on it one day.Dan

I've been told it's not illegal to have a VHF radio with transmitter on a boat without a license as long as you do not use it for transmission. Listening in and checking the weather is fine, as far as I know. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I've got a handheld for backup, you know just in case.
About a hundred at Canadian Tire.
cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

I think you should find a way to get a fixed mount marine VHF - there are some that have all the controls on the mic and you can mount the main box up underneath and out of the way.

Fixed mounts do transmit with more power and have larger antennae that lend themselves to better reception and transmit distance (VHF is line of sight) BUT I would also add that a portable is a great back-up. Radios die, batteries die, stuff happens and a back-up radio is a smart move IMO. Yes they are more range limited than a 'fixed' radio but at 5W high power I can talk from 7 Mile to Kirby clear as day on my portable.

quote:Originally posted by Gomphus

Remember that you need a license to have and operate a marine VHF radio on your boat.

I didn't know that ???
there must be hundreds of operator's out there without licences.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

I have a little ICOM handheld VHF for backup, and we use them for hunting too. I like the Icom, not as much range as my stationary one but it seems to work ok for what it is.

I've used an ICOM with remote controls on the waterproof mike like ratherbefishin talks about. It has worked great for four years. There is another mike and controls on the radio inside if the remote mike should fail.

Another option is to get an external antenna for the handheld and mount it as high as possible. That way you can get better range than with just the whip on the portable. Remember, VHF is line of sight. The antenna on my old ICOM portable was removable and with an adapter would hook up to any standard antenna plug. It had a jack for external power and battery re-charge, external speaker and remote mike but without controls. Alas, it wasn't waterproof. Poof!

Happy yackin'

If you have the room, a fixed mount VHF is the way to go. No messing around with charging batteries. The Icom 304 from West Marine is a great deal.

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/full.asp?page=26

If you have to go for the hand held option, make sure your handheld FLOATS and use AA batteries. Replacement of those Lithium battery packs can cost between $80 and $100 to replace. (assuming they aren't discontinued). I've got a $350 Icom handheld that I can't find batteries for.

I also have the handheld icom and im not a fan. It works but is rarely clear. Switched to a mounted and have found it much better

I believe as of April 1999 registered Canadian vessels do not require a VHF license as long as the VHF radio only operates with maritime channels and only cruises Canadian waters.

quote:I believe as of April 1999 registered Canadian vessels do not require a VHF license as long as the VHF radio only operates with maritime channels and only cruises Canadian waters.

From my understanding, you are correct in that a Station License is not required on a boat that is voluntarily fitted with a VHF radio. The station license is the one that gives the call letters.

However an operator's license is required to operate the radio, even if the radio does not need a license. This is the Restricted Operator's Certificate. The Operator's Certificate is different from the Station License.

What I am not certain of is whether it is legal to have a radio transmitter installed in your boat if you say that you are not using the transmitter. The RCMP among others can issue the citations and I don't know how they determine whether to issue one or not. I wonder how one finds the definitive answer to this? At one time it used to be illegal to own a transmitter if it was not licensed

However operating handheld marine radios on land is against the act and could lead to a fine. Marinas and some others can get a special license allowing them to use certain channels on land.

George, call Industry Canada regarding the license or operators certificate. They'll set you straight. I checked the website but was unclear on what was really required. I'd be surprised if you are permitted to own a transmitter without some kind of license. Even with an old CB radio one needed to license it.

I would think it would be very easy to get the license, I'm sure they would want you to have one on board plus they want your license money. Kinda like the boater's exam. :D

Here's the contact info.

Vancouver Island District Office
New Address as of June 25, 2007
Room 430
1230 Government Street
Victoria, B.C.
V8W 3M4
Telephone: 250-363-3803 or 1-800-667-3780
Facsimile: 250-363-0208
E-mail: victoria.district@ic.gc.ca

I have the ICOM M34 handheld VHF - it's waterproof, floats and clear as a bell both transmitting and receiving. I think about $160 or so on sale.

I fish out of a 14' Lund aluminum boat and while it is fairly seaworthy it is still a small boat and you just never know what could happen in foul weather. I keep the radio on a belt pouch when I am on the water and if I ever end up in the water it may well be a life saver.
...another perspective.

Back