Stick with the Double Eagle or go bigger?

cracked_ribs

Whatever you do please post pics, and an awesome build as Albernifisher did. I must agree that the SE wind and an outgoing tide made the 10 mile run from Kitty to Comox very "hard" in my 18.6 DE even with 150 outboard. But not scary, that's Johnston Straight with 40knt westerly's and a 6 knt ebb. Think 10-15ft rollers. Make for an extra night hidden on the pick. Do not have that problem now living in Vic, quick run home with a normal stern sea, but longer wait at ramp. Again a nice problem you have, keep us on here informed.

Thanks

HM

1) Yes.
2) I commute back and forth to an unserviced island that's relatively close to Nanaimo where I also live some of the time
3) No
4) Not at this time...too much Vancouver Island in the way

I'm ready to cast an informed, but meaningless internet vote now.
I say go for the pod and new outboard while you continue to accrue equity in your real estate. When you are ready to sell your home, move out of the LM, and use the profits to buy whatever you want.
I have a small boat. When I decide to pound into chop and swells to get somewhere I need to go about 11 knots. The bigger boats 21-28' all do 13-15. Only the charter boat pictured (triple verados) can go faster without making the clients bounce, and as mentioned the boat is over 30'.

Attachments

• 934768_523566254410466_8278548793588860607_n.jpg
    934768_523566254410466_8278548793588860607_n.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 114
cracked_ribs

Whatever you do please post pics, and an awesome build as Albernifisher did. I must agree that the SE wind and an outgoing tide made the 10 mile run from Kitty to Comox very "hard" in my 18.6 DE even with 150 outboard. But not scary, that's Johnston Straight with 40knt westerly's and a 6 knt ebb. Think 10-15ft rollers. Make for an extra night hidden on the pick. Do not have that problem now living in Vic, quick run home with a normal stern sea, but longer wait at ramp. Again a nice problem you have, keep us on here informed.

Thanks

HM
I haven't seen ten+ foot rollers since fishing the mouth of the Alberni Inlet years ago and they were so slow it would put you to sleep rather than scare you...never been in scary waves that big and would just as soon avoid it if I could!

I'd actually consider a Fountain WA...for a commuter, wow. There and back in no time!

Actually the 25WAs go fairly cheap. If I had someone I trusted to survey one in Florida (where they all seem to be) I'd maybe give it a try. Sure be exciting.

dont do any of the above way to much $$$ and time. there is a ton of boats in the 20-30k range that are outboards. buy one of those sell your DE and use the $$$ to cosmetically fix your new boat the way you and your wife would like. no hassle of a project and your out on the water enjoying it not staring at it in your driveway.

this looks nice but there are many others out there as well
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/23-trophy-2004-yamaha-f200-and-t8.64990/

If I could find one in a configuration I liked I'd certainly consider that option. Most of the common sport fishing boats aren't especially well suited to my purpose; the WA cabin is typically too small and a lot of boats in that range are kind of cheaply built and already developing stringer and transom issues so you can end up with a project regardless - that's my experience anyway!

But for sure if I happened across a ready-to-go machine that came in at a good price I would be happy with that as well.

doesnt sound like there will be a boat out there that would make you happy other than your current boat. the trophy above is bigger faster and been redone.
looks like your gonna need some material and saw blades...... lol. summer seems far away but its around the corner. good luck with your project

you could look at a flybridge boat pull the flybridge off, now its a sedan. keep it as an inboard as they are below deck. wouldn't cost an arm and leg. you get a nice big back deck and a roomy interior. you could also pod it. look at alberi fisherman's project flybridge boat. we had a 26' campion toba it was nice inside and out... roomy

No luck nice looking boat but not quite enough of a step up for size...giving the motor some serious thought though!

I had actually been looking seriously at flybridge boats for converting until I saw Quinn's Bertram thread.

Then I thought...what about having a much more skilled guy do the work? Could maybe hunt down a beater Hourston and have a beautiful machine.

But could also pod the 206 for a lot less money.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't start a podding project this year unless something fell into my lap...as noluck's verado seems to be doing.

Everyone's hot for outboards. I agree with Bones above, you can get a lot for your money on those older inboard flybridge rigs because everyone looks at them and thinks 'pod and repower'. Now I'm not against that concept in principle, but unless you're getting a straight up project boat with failed drivetrain, you're paying for power twice over, and there's not much to be made selling an old 308/280 combo. If I was running the Strait as regularly as you are, I'd want a full cabin rather than a WA with curtains or a cuddy style with hardtop and curtains. Day fishing boat, different story. Same also from a security point of view, boat sitting in moorage longterm needs more secure storage than a couple of lockable fish and rod boxes behind clear curtains. Once you hit the 25-26 ft size, the hull is large enough that the drivetrain is completely below decks and there's no doghouse in the way of fishing or cargo. The money and time saved going this route would easily provide for a good drivetrain overhaul and some quality electronics.

No luck nice looking boat but not quite enough of a step up for size...giving the motor some serious thought though!

I had actually been looking seriously at flybridge boats for converting until I saw Quinn's Bertram thread.

Then I thought...what about having a much more skilled guy do the work? Could maybe hunt down a beater Hourston and have a beautiful machine.

But could also pod the 206 for a lot less money.

Anyway, I probably wouldn't start a podding project this year unless something fell into my lap...as noluck's verado seems to be doing.
Still $15K to pod and bolt on that Verado.

If you pod you double eagle, it is still a 20 foot boat. You will get the benefits of more floor space and going with a fuel injected outboard, they are quiet, reliable and efficient. The boat will ride different but has the same seaworthyness as the inboard. The guy that albernifisher had make his bracket is who I would use. I currently have a 20 foot hourston with a fibre pro bracket and 275 mercury verado, love it for fishing, but it will always be a 20 foot boat.

Still $15K to pod and bolt on that Verado.

Don't I know it! That's kind of why I was leaning towards tracking down a 23-26 Hourston...then I'm sitting with a boat I likely wouldn't think about upgrading for a long, long, long time.

Everyone's hot for outboards. I agree with Bones above, you can get a lot for your money on those older inboard flybridge rigs because everyone looks at them and thinks 'pod and repower'. Now I'm not against that concept in principle, but unless you're getting a straight up project boat with failed drivetrain, you're paying for power twice over, and there's not much to be made selling an old 308/280 combo. If I was running the Strait as regularly as you are, I'd want a full cabin rather than a WA with curtains or a cuddy style with hardtop and curtains. Day fishing boat, different story. Same also from a security point of view, boat sitting in moorage longterm needs more secure storage than a couple of lockable fish and rod boxes behind clear curtains. Once you hit the 25-26 ft size, the hull is large enough that the drivetrain is completely below decks and there's no doghouse in the way of fishing or cargo. The money and time saved going this route would easily provide for a good drivetrain overhaul and some quality electronics.

Lot of good thoughts there, I don't disagree at all. I've given that serious thought as well and buying power twice doesn't appeal to me so if I went for a flybridge, I'd probably either look for one with blown engines for nothing, or engines I could run for a good long time.

Totally agree on the cabin; that's why the configuration of a lot of the popular sport boats doesn't really work for me.

In fact this basically all started with me looking at the Bertram 25 and thinking...yeah, that's about what I need. It's just an el grande version of the Double Eagle I have. Same with the larger Hourston sedans.

I keep my boat in a dry stack so locking ability isn't CRITICAL but it's better, all else being equal. My only real objections to the big flybridges is that you're hauling around RV accommodations, and I'd rather have a spartan commuter interior. But it's true, it'd be easier to hollow one out and strip off the excess than anything else, if I really wanted a project. Which I don't, exactly...but there aren't a ton of boats built with my odd goals in mind.

Back