Stern heavy boat

Dan The Man

It seems that the boat rides better when there is some sort of weight in the front of the boat. Will trim tabs solve this problem??

yes only on plane no good for trolling. I put it on my trophy and worked awesome. I would not but a boat now with out them.

quote:Originally posted by Dan The Man

It seems that the boat rides better when there is some sort of weight in the front of the boat. Will trim tabs solve this problem??
Probably not, it really depends on the boat! Trim tabs are installed on most smaller boats to control roll, not pitch!

If you have a large boat with an inboard trim tabs are a benifit and will help, but I am assuming you have an outboard? Trimming the engine up and down, is a far more effective in controlling the pitch than any trim tab you would want to hang on the back of the boat. With that said, if you do have a problem with the level of the boat at cruise, trim tabs will help control that. After all, that is why they are there.

You are probably better off just throwing some weight in the front, or do what I would do and get a Hydrofoil Stabilizer? http://www.marine-dynamics.com/2009_MD_Brochure.pdf Which you can get at any marine store and should actually help your problem! [8D]

Hi Charlie, When I bought my boat (1988 17 ft Arima with 1992 90hp outboard) last year it had a fin foil on the outboard but when we took the boat out for sea trials and opened it up the temp alarm would go off. We took off the fin foil thinking it was stoppng the water pump intake from getting a good water flow and everything worked fine. However that was at 4400 rpm that the alarm would go off and a few years back I blew up an outboard due to it over reving because I was following in the wake of another boat. I won't make that mistake again. Now I cruise at 3800 rpm and only take it to 4000 rpm when I'm going up on plane. My question to you Charlie is..... do you think it was the fin foil that was causing the alarm to go off or do you think the motor just didn't like to be at 4400 rpm?
Also the only thing I don't like about the Arima is how bouncy it is in a small chop or swell when I'm trying to stay on plane. Do you think a fin foil would help in this situation. I'm thinking I might just put the fin foil back on after reading up on what they actually do..... and they say it says fuel too. Thanks for the link Charlie. Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

The cheapest way with the most effect to get more negative trim (bow down) is to install a wedge between the transom and engine. (thick side of the wedge up)

quote:Originally posted by Sea Ranger

Hi Charlie, When I bought my boat (1988 17 ft Arima with 1992 90hp outboard) last year it had a fin foil on the outboard but when we took the boat out for sea trials and opened it up the temp alarm would go off. We took off the fin foil thinking it was stoppng the water pump intake from getting a good water flow and everything worked fine.
I have never heard of any type of Hydrofoil Stabilizer interferring with water flow to the engine? That doesn't mean anything except, I have never heard of it! I would certainly be finding out what RPM that engine was rated for at WOT? That prop just might be the wrong size, for that boat? :)

quote:However that was at 4400 rpm that the alarm would go off and a few years back I blew up an outboard due to it over reving because I was following in the wake of another boat. I won't make that mistake again. Now I cruise at 3800 rpm and only take it to 4000 rpm when I'm going up on plane.
I have never heard of that, either, but over reving can certainly cause an engine to blow. :( The size and pitch of a prop will control engine RPMs. If your prop or pitch is to small the engine can very easily exceed max RPM, sounding the alarm and if the engine doesn't automatically shut down, it could blow? I would be very interested in knowing your maximum rated RPMs, if I was you?

quote:My question to you Charlie is..... do you think it was the fin foil that was causing the alarm to go off or do you think the motor just didn't like to be at 4400 rpm?
I don't think so, I think you exceeded your maximum RPMs?

If my engines over rev, which they have done, due to them coming out of the water (eg running to fast in rough seas), the alarm will go off, and as soon as that happens the engine/s shut down. And, I am left with a stupid look on my face! [:I]
quote:Also the only thing I don't like about the Arima is how bouncy it is in a small chop or swell when I'm trying to stay on plane. Do you think a fin foil would help in this situation.
Probably, will help!

I had the XRIII's installed on my boat and worked well. While on, they did help the boat come out of the whole better, was more stable at high speeds, and did plane at a lower speed. But, the XRIII's didn't get along well with the boat, especially after I hit a log and wiped one of them out, along with half of the cavitation plate! :(

I have just never put them back on and when I do, I don't think I will use the XRIII's again? Since, I have twins, they are just a whole lot of fins hanging back there?

Sea Ranger, the hull of your boat defines how well it cuts through chop and waves. If you have a deep V hull it will be smoother in rough water but needs more power to plane. A flat bottom boat will break your back in chop but you will be planing real fast. Not much you can do there once you bought the boat.

quote:Originally posted by calmsea

Sea Ranger, the hull of your boat defines how well it cuts through chop and waves. If you have a deep V hull it will be smoother in rough water but needs more power to plane. A flat bottom boat will break your back in chop but you will be planing real fast. Not much you can do there once you bought the boat.
I agree with that! :)

While I am not familiar with that particular boat, a friend of mine used to own one that size around the same age??
I believe they only make deep V, but might be wrong??? However, a 17' needs to be in perspective. It is not going to handle chop or cut through rough water as a larger boat and is going to bounce you around... has too! I used to relate to his as a bobber! It would bob on top of the water, rather can cut trough it! I am quite sure it would handle rougher seas than I wanted to be in, it! It always got us there and back!... and we took that boat, places we should never have been! [:0] :D

http://www.arimaboats.com/brochure.pdf

Thanks for the input Charlie, I appreciate it.... think I'll pull the old fin out and put it on for a trip or two. and Calmsea .... now I know why they say the boat will plane easily.... because it is a rather flat bottom boat..... thats also the same reason they say it doesn't take a lot of water to launch the boat. and like anything in life.... you have to give and take.... yes the boat is a bit bouncy in rough weather but it is a very stable boat.... sure to get me back to the wharf..... even if it sinks the Arimas come with a foam filled hull. so if I tie myself to my boat and it goes over they will at least find me....lol. all kidding aside.... very good boat for the dollar would never trade it in.... unless its for a bigger boat.... but those are just lotto dreams talking. thanks again for the input guys..... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

The few times I have experienced motor alarms, it was due to the thin leafy part of kelp obstructing the main intake. It does not have to be big, just big enough to cover the intake. I've seen it on 3 different motors. Stays in place with suction but can fall off if you shut down and raise the motor. I would guess a hydrofoil would just make it that much easier to catch something near the intake. Just a guess but the ocean can be quite littered with the stuff.

Engine alarms are usually heat related or lack of oil. In most cases it is overheat. Causes range from bad (worn) water pump, t-stat not functioning properly, partially plugged water tube/block passages, stuck pressure relief valve or from debris over the water intake. 4400 rpm sounds very low to be coming into any outboards red line. Most outboards top out between 5000 & 6000 rpms. I cruise my Yami 200 2 stroke at 4200...it tops out at 5400.

Back