Steering issues

ZENYO

Good Morning,

I’m having some issues with my SeaStar HC5358. It was clicking when I turned the wheel, the next time I went out it would take a little more then a full turn of the steering wheel before the outboard would respond. After some reading and videos I figured the lines needed to bled. The first thing that I noticed when I started to bleed the lines is that the fluid wasn’t coming out of the bleeder valve as much as some of the videos I saw, the second is I really didn’t notice any aire bubbles. I continued anyway and after I was finished, I tested and everything seemed better. About 10 minutes later I went back to test again and the clicking returned. I think I may need to get someone more knowledgeable to have a look. Any marine mechanics in the Coquitlam area?

Thanks

You can call their Vancouver tech support line. You have to leave a message but they do call back.
I used them last year and they solved my problem.

604-248-3858

Let me know what you find out. I have to add fluid every once in a while on my upper helm and then my reservoir overfills. I think I might need a repair kit. You might have a similar problem too.

I spoke with tech support today and they were super helpful, easy to talk to and very knowledgeable.

He told me to try and bleed the lines again with a couple of adjustments.

First thing I need to do is to turn the wheel hard over to hard over and count the turns. For my SeaStar model I should have a 1.7 helm, and there should be 5 full turns (Actually 4.9). If there are more than 5 turns, air is definitely a problem and could be the cause of the “Chatter” (what I called clicking). I missed this while I was researching, It's seams like an important initial step.

Some things to do differently from my initial try.
1 – Use a clear hose on the bleeder valve. Most of the videos I watched shwed this but I didn’t have one and it wasn’t in the manual so I did without. I’ll go buy one for the re-try.
2 – (He told me I wouldn’t like that part but it’s important). While bleeding, after turning hard over, brace yourself and turn more with some force. The theory is that if there is some stubborn air bubbles this may force them out. This will also help catch any physical issues with the hoses because the added pressure will burst a weak hose. He also said I may hear whining and or a pop, the pop is the pressure release valve.
3 – sometimes the air bubbles are closer to the helm, so if you see air bubbles in the feeder tube, keep turning hard over to hard over until they are gone also.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

I gave it a another go today with the above adjustments. It's a bit better as the chatter only occurs near the end of the hard port side turn, But that shouldn't be happening. I also noticed floaties in oil being purged that's probably not good either. I may get a pro to deal with it.

What oil are you using? Everyone says to use ATF but if you ask Telestar they say to use their oil. Is the chatter just the pressure relief valve? Maybe it is at the end of its travel.

FYI don't know where you are but Ian at Pleasurecraft Marine at Lions Gate Marina, North Van, bled mine and it was like driving a Cadillac after he was done. I have dual station too

Had to deal with similar issues a couple times:

ATF only works for the oldest hydraulic steering systems. The newer ones have lighter oils. Use what they recommend for your system. Sometimes they give you a couple options. You only need a liter or so anyways.

To get air out - I cracked the nuts/linkage near the engine until it bled out and worked the steering back n forth as detailed above by ZENYO. Worked great.

Usually you hear a click-click ratching sound that indicates that you are out of hydraulic oil, often associated with the ability to turn to one side only. That noise should cease when you add enough of the right oil.

What oil are you using? Everyone says to use ATF but if you ask Telestar they say to use their oil. Is the chatter just the pressure relief valve? Maybe it is at the end of its travel.

FYI don't know where you are but Ian at Pleasurecraft Marine at Lions Gate Marina, North Van, bled mine and it was like driving a Cadillac after he was done. I have dual station too

I'm using the suggested oil listed in the manual, HA5430. The pressure release valve is more of a pop right after some whining. The chatter is more of a vibration, the outboard will jerk along with the chatter. I'm in coquitlam, I might try M&P in Burnaby.

Had to deal with similar issues a couple times:

ATF only works for the oldest hydraulic steering systems. The newer ones have lighter oils. Use what they recommend for your system. Sometimes they give you a couple options. You only need a liter or so anyways.

To get air out - I cracked the nuts/linkage near the engine until it bled out and worked the steering back n forth as detailed above by ZENYO. Worked great.

Usually you hear a click-click ratching sound that indicates that you are out of hydraulic oil, often associated with the ability to turn to one side only. That noise should cease when you add enough of the right oil.

The helm is full and I'm within the right amount of turns for my 1.7 helm. It's odd.

Does sound odd, ZENYO. Sounds also like time for professionals - as you stated.

For sure... But I'm going to give it one more go, at least until I see cleanish oil coming out of the bleeder. I spoke with SeaStar again and the tech thinks I'm close. Hes pretty sure that unless I get 5 full turns there is still air in there and I just need to work it out.

If you take it to a pro, make sure they have a sea star electric bleeding system. It gets all the air out if that turns out to be the problem

Not sure if you are doing this too but when they bleed mine he attached a bottle of hydraulic fluid via a rubber hose into the top of the steering column. He kept the bottle upside down so no air would enter and worked the steering slowly back and for as it bleed from engine area.
That way he was introducing fresh fluid with no air

If you take it to a pro, make sure they have a sea star electric bleeding system. It gets all the air out if that turns out to be the problem
Good Call. I saw a video, works good.

Not sure if you are doing this too but when they bleed mine he attached a bottle of hydraulic fluid via a rubber hose into the top of the steering column. He kept the bottle upside down so no air would enter and worked the steering slowly back and for as it bleed from engine area.
That way he was introducing fresh fluid with no air
That's exactly what I did, the stupid tube (probably only $5 worth of material) cost me $38. lol. I think it would work the same with a funnel, you just always need to make sure there is oil in the funnel, but I wanted to remove any doubt. As soon as this rain disappears I'll give it another go.

princess auto is your best friend Aw32 5 gal pail $50

bleed the old entire lot out and refill with new
there are a few you tube videos where they connect to a y hose set up back to the helm or recyclable tank
and have a new filler on the helm.....
much like an iv set up...lol

So the power purge did not help. The tech suggests to replace the helm pump. He said my cylinders a lines were fine, no leaks, but he thinks I should replace the cylinder because it's too small for my motor. That doesn't make much sense because it's rated for up to 250HP and i have a 150. Sounds more like a personal preference.

Back