Steering has completely gone on my outboard

Peahead

Was out at the marina today mucking about on my boat and noticed my outboard steering has gone completely. Last time I used steering was taking the boat back to its moorage after a haul out. It was fine. Thats the day I had my hand injury so haven't been able to get out or use the boat since. Very odd as I would expect if the mechanical steering was going to break it would be during use, not just while sitting idle.
Anyone have any idea what might have happened? Its a 97 Johnson outboard and the steering system was new and installed in 2004...I think its Ultraflex ot teleflex. When the motor is down in running postion the and I grab the cowiling I can swing the motor right and left very easily and the steering mechanism is all connected and works correctly at the front of the outboard but the steering wheel doesnt move. When turning the steering at he helm motor doesn't move . Its as if somethings come loose or broken inside the steering cable ??

Yeah , all good under the helm. Nothing visually out of place at all.

If the pinion was disengaged from the rack I would think the steering would feel different/ very loose but it doesn't ....it feels pretty much the same as always when turning wheel. No odd sound coming from the rack/pinion mechanism at all either.

Rip it out and put in hydrolic you will be glad you did NOT very often that system screws up . by the time you screw around with finding the problem and then mantianing the that rack and pinion system every year its really not worth it...

Good luck Wolf

Those teleflex cables will eventually deteriorate and the cable breaks inside the sheath.
a replacement is not that much ($50-75)
couple hours to remove the old one and replace it and you're good to go.

Rip it out and put in hydrolic you will be glad you did NOT very often that system screws up . by the time you screw around with finding the problem and then mantianing the that rack and pinion system every year its really not worth it...

Good luck Wolf

Thx Wolf. May go that route unless I can fix this for cost like rs craven figures ......funny because I almost went that route in 2004 but didn't because was told for a small motor like a 90 and on a 17 double eagle Hydrolic was a bit of overkill/ not nrecessary and quite a bit more costly .... now I tend to agree wth you that perhaps I should have gone that route then

Those teleflex cables will eventually deteriorate and the cable breaks inside the sheath.
a replacement is not that much ($50-75)
couple hours to remove the old one and replace it and you're good to go.

Thx Craven... if I was a guessing man , I'd say thats whats happened. I am just shocked it only lasted 7 years if in fact it has broken. I assume if its corrosion the cable would tend to more often break at the motor rather than up at the helm ?

YES had to deal with cables all the time pain in the arse one thing thats great about hydrolic when you let go of the sterring wheel it stays nice and straight no more fighting the wheel. good for resale value as well if you ever want to sell it as well.
B ring

O ut

A nother

T ousand

ITS only money

Wolf

All I have ever had in my boats was mechanical steering and I have found them extremely reliable most of them were quite old as well. Recently I had to replace it in my current boat, it was $185 for the kit which included everything I needed except a new steering wheel, it took about 2 hours to install and works perfectly and was extremely easy to install. The steering cable broke on my old one, however the previous steering cable and helm were 20 years old. Not bad if you ask me. I can replace the cable on my current system for $60, and it would probably take me about 30 minutes. Hydraulic would be nice, but for the cost it is probably going to be 3 to 4 times the price and depending on your skill level you might need to pay someone to install it which will cost WAY more. Hydraulic steering is not bullet proof either, my cousins has leaked both at the helm and at the engine over the years. They make mechanical no feedback systems nowadays that are only about $220, however even with my system which was the basic I get NO feedback at all. I think mechanical steering has improved a lot in recent years over what is in most older boats and will give you years of trouble free service. My two bits

Hydraulic is expensive, but still the way to go. The pros out way the cons. Just having an autopilot plumbed in to take over the helm while checking gear in a stiff breeze makes it all worth while.

Ok, it is a broken cable but interesting what two mechanics have recommended ( I called Lordship also, as they have done work for me before) This is what they both highly recommend:

1) replace steering with full kit not just cable - because broken cable likely also means substantial wear on helm rotary gears ( $250-$290 for rotary no feedback system which I have now)

2) Expect 2-3 hours installation of kit but may be more time as sometimes the motor may need to be removed to fit the cable to the motor. Extra labour, haul-out and layover day/s charges added .

3) Hydraulic is very good steering but much more expensive and may also still need motor removed to install system.

What do you think ?.....Is this all quite true? just overkill ? .....or wanting to fatten wallets?

Last edited by a moderator:
You definatlly dont need to remove the engine on the hydrolic system as the ram fits on quite easily if you have any background at all in do minor mechanical you can do it all it is is 2 lines from the helm to the ram the time is routing the lines and cutting out the helm hole. its really not that hard 2 to 3 hours is about right if its your first time.
Where you located???anyways???

As for cable "sometimes" you may have to take the engine off to et that cable on sometimes your lucky but dont know the boat...

Peahead, get the kit from a marine wholesaler.
you'll need to know what length the cable is first.
Grab a case of beer and tell your buddy's you need some help.
2 guys can do the job in a couple of hours.

By the time the boat yard has their markup on the products and 3 hours labour in
you'll be looking at $600 with tax.

Roy and Scott are both right its no big deal to do if you have "basic" skills.
Done it a couple of times on the old boat, easy as 1,2,3 on the old Double Eagle.
I tried the mechanical feed back on the last go around, didn't like it.
Put hydraulic on the new rig, would never go back.
Dan

Back