Stamp Springs Meeting!

Nog,

It's good that you mention this isn't supposed to be a DFO thrashing session.

As you already know, but I guess some don't rrealize, 29th Oct is the local PA SFAB sub-committee meeting, where I understand a significant portion of the agenda will focus on your chinook debacle and the PA Harvest Roundtable shortcomings. Attendees must recognize the SFAB process is there to ask questions, share the past season's experiences, express our concerns, provide advice and participate in developing solutions directly with DFO. You need to create vote-approved motions (unanimous if possible) that clearly represent the advice of the concerned angling community. Those motions will come to us on the South Coast SFAB committee for our 28 and 29 Nov meeting in Nanaimo. Bob Cole will give us a clear report at that time and present your motions for approval by thre South Coast Board. I am confident that the South Coast and Main Board SFAB will echo the PA anglers concerns to DFO and more than likely support your motions.

ALSO GET READY because ... if no positive action is forthcoming from DFO to fix the chinook problem shortly after the South Coast SFAB meeting then there should be a show of anglers disgust in the form of a protest.

In our area we are seeing a similar disaster unfold with Cowichan chinook (only 500 chinooks on the spawning beds this year of a run that should be 10,000 - 15,000 strong) and yes the commercial fleet is stillintercepting them too.

There will be lots more angry folks if DFO chose to do nothing
there too, so building steam for a big protest is going to be easy!

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

Seems to me that DFO's entire focus has been finding ways to justify executing a commercial fishery...so much so that I think they are blind to input and observations coming from the Sport sector. I have had many discussions with the DFO field staff over the years sharing my observations. They couldn't be any less interested. In fact, over and over they maintain that the only credible data on actual run strength will have tom come following a commercial fishery. Their twisted logic is that the sport sector isn't able to catch fish and therefore cannot be relied upon for catch data, tends etc that would be used to make management decisions. Frankly, DFO is still in the dark ages...perhaps a name change to more accurately reflect the management focus of the organization...something like..Department of Commercial Fisheries DCF.

Bottom line, we need to get across the point that DFO field staff need to be held to account to work with the Sport sector and to listen...and further to set up systems to proactively collect biological data in partnership with us.

Well common sense tells me that when you have hundreds of sporties in an area not catching fish, that should be red flag and someone better start paying close attention.

quote:Originally posted by Fishing Guide

I wish to hear FIRSTHAND DFO's defense of their handling of the fisheries on the West Coast.

Well here's part of it: The recreational sector took ~ 30% of this year's run. ;)

That based on a combination of catch figures (wonder what program they use to guesstimate those?) from Barkley Sound (which of course includes the offshore) and the Inlet (what catch?). [xx(]

Good Luck Gentz! We're going to need it. Remember to keep it tame, or nada will get accomplished. Wish I could be there, but unless my 'Merican mule deer hunters bail (NOT going to happen!) I'll be running that day to Alberta. Bummer, I VERY much wanted to be there! But I do believe that between those I know are going, this difficult matter is in capable hands.

Cheers,
Nog

Heading up from Victoria. Anybody want to jump aboard? WE can split the fuel.

HL

Fog Ducker, got your message the other night. Yeah kind of an expense for you if you have to stay the night. Hmm...... what to do

What did the ferries say? Last sailing?

HL

Yeah Mark ( HL ) , last ferry is 9pm , don't think that gives me enough time , I'd have to get a hotel for the night , Company is quite busy , but , I am going to do my best , see what kind a deals I can find in Nanaimo , , However , I do no one thing , if i swing this , there better be some post activity at the local watering hole ,preferably , one with a slippery brass pole ,[:p].. Let's see where this goes , I'll give ya a shout ,tomorrow cheers,,,FD..;)

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

The real point is that the sports fisher has "NO POWER".
The Federal government does not even know who they are.
However if the Commercial sector wants something they get it.
Think not, just look at what happens when they did not get enough money for lobster.
All of a sudden the Federal government using "YOUR TAX DOLLARS" gave them "25 MILLION DOLLARS".

Until you are organized and scare the hell out of them with what you might do to them, then you may as well stay at home and whine over the net.
The SFAB has "NO POLITICAL POWERS OR MONEY"
To win this war there has to be political clout, as the Commercial group has.
This means MONEY to go to Ottawa when required.
This means the ability to close down Victoria when required.

Till that happens Ottawa just ignores you.
Why not, you have no clout.

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

Yeah Mark ( HL ) , last ferry is 9pm , don't think that gives me enough time , I'd have to get a hotel for the night , Company is quite busy , but , I am going to do my best , see what kind a deals I can find in Nanaimo , , However , I do no one thing , if i swing this , there better be some post activity at the local watering hole ,preferably , one with a slippery brass pole ,[:p].. Let's see where this goes , I'll give ya a shout ,tomorrow cheers,,,FD..;)

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Felix dude

sounds good to me! I am always up for scoping Tail

Talk Wednesday

HL

quote:Originally posted by OldBlackDog

The real point is that the sports fisher has "NO POWER".
The Federal government does not even know who they are.
However if the Commercial sector wants something they get it.
Think not, just look at what happens when they did not get enough money for lobster.
All of a sudden the Federal government using "YOUR TAX DOLLARS" gave them "25 MILLION DOLLARS".

Until you are organized and scare the hell out of them with what you might do to them, then you may as well stay at home and whine over the net.
The SFAB has "NO POLITICAL POWERS OR MONEY"
To win this war there has to be political clout, as the Commercial group has.
This means MONEY to go to Ottawa when required.
This means the ability to close down Victoria when required.

Till that happens Ottawa just ignores you.
Why not, you have no clout.

X2

So I guess what that means guys, is that nobody can afford to miss gatherings like this.

Places like this are a start.

See yah out there.

highlights, I am interested in car pooling from Vic. Where and when? I need to be back that night though...

Hey Unknown, you modelling out Nate now??? What's an hour with him worth??[:X]dirty

Back