Stamp Springs Meeting!

IronNoggin

DFO is mandated to manage fisheries such that conservation</u> is paramount. That long-standing commitment is described in policies such as "Canada's Policy For Conservation of Wild Pacific Salmon" (2005) and DFO's "Allocation Policy for Pacific Salmon" (1999).

The DFO actions of both this year and those previous strongly indicate little attention to the Conservation FIRST</u> priority. This is directly in opposition to their own policy and mandate. Continuing trends of this type of mismanagement (catering to the harvesters BEFORE ensuring conservation goals/priorities are being met) is a recipe for disaster. And we are damn near that "disaster" level now in the Stamp.

Time for a change. Overdue for some real accountability.

There is a meeting scheduled to address this very matter, being spearheaded by the local Sport Fish Advisory Council. Said meeting will be held the last week of October on Thursday the 29th at 7 p.m. upstairs in the building at Clutesi Marina. I would strongly suggest that anyone interested in promoting change attend the meeting to discuss how not to repeat this madness again next year.

Feel free to Email me should you want the contact information for the local SFAC and/or wish to be added to their mail list.

Cheers,
Nog

Good luck Nog.. let us know if more than the usual warriors show up. It would be really encouraging for those of us who have been banging our heads against DFO for years to see some fresh approaches and bodies.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Perfect, let's hope that everyone on this board shows up. Critical that we ask questions, listen to answers and demand accountability to change the process for allowing commercial openings.

Nog, are the local reps from the SFAC plugged into this meeting...the Bob Coles and David Murphy's of the world?

quote:Originally posted by millsy

Nog, are the local reps from the SFAC plugged into this meeting...the Bob Coles and David Murphy's of the world?

aYup. As noted above, the meeting is being put on and run by the local SFAC, which of course Bob Cole is the current Chair. Strongly suspect Dave, Darren and the rest of the Crew will also be there. That said, and even as competent as these Gentz are, we should do our damnest to ensure a strong attendance!

This meeting is open to everyone. Attendance is expected to be strong, and we certainly hope that is the case. This issue has become the foremost concern regarding the Stamp at this time, and it is time our numbers reflect that level of concern.

I would strongly encourage all who fish here, all who ply the chuck, and even those who don't do either but are concerned, to make an appearance! Time to get off our butts, stop whining to each other about this situation, and get on with the process of creating Positive Change! [^]

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for the heads up Nog. Car pool from Courtenay? Anyone interested? Time to take a stand and support the decisions that need to be made for future Pacific salmon, before it is too late! Obviously D.F.O can't do this.:( Like I said, time to take a stand. I rarely fish Port Alberni or Barkley Sound {primarily because of logistics} but this involves everyone on the island that fishes Pacific salmon. Lets pull together hold D.F.O accountable.

I will be there. Thanks Matt for the pm and including me on the mail list. Please find the time to attend and make your concerns known. Let's not be all talk no action on this one....time to send a clear message that we want the fishery managed using improved data, and it is about time DFO actually listened to the catch observations of anglers who are frequently on the water and reliable and factual reporters.

Searun

I grew up on Sproat Lake and remember the thousands of fish that were in the creeks around the lake. Now when I go back there I take my kids and in these same streams there are almost none. It makes me sick to see what has happened to our fishery. I will be at the meeting with a truck full of fellow fisherman from Nanaimo.

Autumn Ty-ee

May I suggest that everyone attending who bought a shirt from Iron Noggin be wearing it.[}:)] Humiliation will work in harmony with the verbal abuse that they'll be taking at that meeting.;)

quote:Originally posted by drhook

May I suggest that everyone attending who bought a shirt from Iron Noggin be wearing it.[}:)] Humiliation will work in harmony with the verbal abuse that they'll be taking at that meeting.;)

The shirt thing ain't at all a bad idea! [}:)]

However, I would like to submit the following:
We all understand there very much was a problem here this year. And that has more than a few a little (or a lot as the case may be) wound up over the issues at hand.
BUT, this meeting is NOT</u> a rally against DFO. While there may be some acrimony coming from our own, I'd strongly suggest keeping the "verbal abuse" to a DULL Roar, regardless of how difficult it may be to some.

The main thrust of the meeting is to identify SOLUTIONS</u> to the problem, to come up with positive suggestions to submit to the Southern SFAB. The SFAB, if it chooses to support these suggestions, will then carry them up to the next step. Think POSITIVE CHANGE here Folks! Going in with a "Lynch Mob" mentality is the surest way to derail the meeting and thus the process.

While we may indeed be fighting mad, it VERY</u> much is the time for Cooler Heads to prevail! I ask that all who choose to attend PLEASE</u> keep this in mind!

Cheers,
Nog

No Kidding, I'm sure if this was the old west there would be a lynch mob, sigh, too bad. Hope someone from the media is there, from Victoria preferably. I'm trying to make it for sure.

I concur with Nog on keeping the abusive lingo down. We do need to focus on positive solutions, but at the same time hold DFO accountable for lack of listening.

Back