Stamp Springs Meeting!

kosi99@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Guess they must have cancelled the meeting because no one seems to have attended :(

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Guess they must have cancelled the meeting because no one seems to have attended :(

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by highlights

Standard meeting. Same will happen November 6 in Victoria.
HL,
Is there a meeting on November 6th in Victoria? Or are you refering to the Victoria local SFAB meeting at the Sandman Hotel on November 4th at 7:00 PM?

Gov

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

yes that is the regular SFAB meeting. I will be there.

If you google SFAB or even just goto the Fisheries and Oceans website you we see the scheduled meetings for the year.

HL

I was at the SFAB meeting in Alberni. Kind of disappointed with the lack of turn out from guy's from this forumn.:(

I was at the SFAB meeting in Alberni. Kind of disappointed with the lack of turn out from guy's from this forumn.

I'm not sure what meeting you were at....I was there and it was extremely well attended...standing room only for late comers. Only problem was DFO wasn't terribly interested in looking at alternative ways to gather in season data from the Sport Fishing sector....that was very disappointing.

Searun

I did a head count of 45 and I was one of the guys standing in the back. It was interesting to hear how they use their creel counts and fly over boat counts to estimate how many fish are beinng caught. Their system makes sense when they explain it but it is not perfect. It is good that they are considering or as they put it "looking at it" for allowing us to keep wild Coho off shore. But because they are still trying to protect the Harrison run it will probably remain closed. Hopfully they listened to our explanation of the 10% mortality rate on released fish.

The return of only 72 Chinook to the Nahmint river was disappointing. Hopefully they will listen to the woman ( Carol Schmidt I think her name is ) from the Great Central lake fish hatchery as she sounds like her 31 years of experience would benefit the efforts to bring them back. But apparantly they haven't listened yet. Hopefully this changes as the Nahmint river is now out of time.

Also brought up at the meeting was the need to repair the dam on Great Central lake and stabalize the water levels in the lake. Reason being is the Sockeye only lay their eggs in the top 3 meters of the water on the beaches. If the water level drops 2 meters we will lose half of the Sockeye fry before they can even hatch.

DFO did say that they are looking at some kind an online reporting system for guides to report catches on and also a DNA sampling system.

There is another "Brain storming " meeting in Port Alberni on November 12 at 7:00pm at the same location. It is open for anyone with ideas that are written down on paper that can be gone over and possibly taken to the board at the end of November.

I left just before the meeting ended so if anyone knows of anything else or if any of this info was changed please post it.

Autumn Ty-ee

"There is another "Brain storming " meeting in Port Alberni on November 12 at 7:00pm at the same location. It is open for anyone with ideas that are written down on paper that can be gone over and possibly taken to the board at the end of November.

I left just before the meeting ended so if anyone knows of anything else or if any of this info was changed please post it"

Meeting last night was well attended with over 30 in attendance

Back