Stainless Steel Dodgers and Flashers...

Andrew P

What are people's opinions on stainless steel flashers and dodgers? Pros and Cons? Why are they not used as much; result of plastic revolution?

I have limited experience with them, but had some great success last summer with a Nootka flasher that I was given. It is a larger flasher so it does have some drag, but so would a big plastic one too.

Any advice on leader length, lures/bait choice, distance to flasher from clip, or mooching with a slip weight, add some tape, etc, on any of the below would be much appreciated!!

Here is what I have, top to bottom:

Peetz Dodger/Flasher
Luhr Jensen Nootka Flasher
Roy Smith Roller
Luhr Jensen Mini Flasher(perhaps good with a plug?)
Roy Smith Dodger

Thanks!
flashers.jpg

Don't use anything with a plug.

Dodgers still work but they are for generally slower speeds than we use now.

I have Abe 'n Al flashers bought in the 70's still in the original pack. LOL I look at them once in a while and briefly consider putting one down. Maybe this summer. ;-)

I have Abe 'n Al flashers bought in the 70's still in the original pack. LOL I look at them once in a while and briefly consider putting one down. Maybe this summer. ;-)

Here too! Lots of brand new Abe and Als and Nootka Flashers. Although I rarely use them I do keep a few Nootka Flashers in the boat and have put them on when things get really slow. I just don't like the drag they cause when pulling them in.
Dave

They are tough to get a real flash out of-easy to bend out of shape(easy to customize)-heavier than plastic, probably more expensive to manufacture. Not as versatile as plastic (think of the colours and patterns available). My 2 cents-that's why they became obsolete.

My cousin in Kootenay Lake would buy all of those from you if you decide not to use them? I gave him all mine and he claims they work great for deep summer trolling

I have a few of these too. When I put one on with a hootchie and watched the action at the side of the boat, the dodgers do give a more attractive darting action than flashers. Years ago have caught the odd coho using these with banana weights. Whenever I have tried them in Sooke had no luck.

Never tried them with anchovies but I would guess it would mess up "the roll" that everyone goes on about but which remains elusive and ill-defined for me....! LOL

I haven't connected one of those for at least 30 years.........

But they used to be pretty good...IF...one was fishing in 70ft of water or less....

You can put plain Chrome tape on those..no scale pattern or anything.....just plain shiny chrome.

Plain shiny chrome works good in shallow water. Also you can get straight brass tape......50/50 Chrome/Brass finish is good in murky water......

You can find the plain-jane chrome online at tape suppliers.

At slower speeds they have a different action than Hotspots etc........they will wobble and /or roll or dodge depending on speed.

The plastic flashers that are straight chrome body (but not tape) do not stand up to well to abuse. The chrome flakes off pretty easy on minor impact with things.

Back in the day they would use mostly bait or spoons behind those, with bait being the preference.

The bottom two are dodgers....you can run hoochies behind those..... short leaders 18 to 24".....slow troll.

The middle one I admit I've never seen before ...it looks like a flasher/dodger hybrid......but I'd troll it slow myself.....going about 48 to 60" for bait.......

The top one is a dodger....but bendable to flasher.......for bait I'd go 5 or 6 ft......for hoochie 30 inches or less.
Hard to know what the action on that particular one is without launching it to see.

The Nootka, I would run bait about 6 to 7ft........ spoons 5 ft......hoochies 34 to38"...........at slow speeds it may behave erratically because it is a heavy flasher. But "erratic" can be good sometimes.

You could also try fishing them just the way they are.....dullish no-shine finish can often be deadly........

Those don't look like stainless to me...they look like brass or brass/chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Polish em up, use as dummy flasher up to 50' deep. Lots of noise from some of these I bet. Plastic has taken over but I'm sure these will work. Only one real way to find out.

Polish them up and send them down they kill. Special advice though not in every situation, I use these when working in tight to bull kelp patches and shallower waters these will pull the biggest fish you have ever caught out of the bull kelp, Ive caught many high 30 right through to high 40s using these in this manner.

Just throw a glow tape on one side and you are good to go deeper. Or glow on one side and a strip of UV tape on the other to grab their attention. Plastic took over because it is cheaper. I don't think the blade colour makes much difference, it's the tape that matters. Just wipe the surface with solvent first and let it dry to prep it for the tape. Then if you want to change the action, you can bend the stainless to your liking to get the speed you want from the flasher.

Dodgers are for a slower shallower troll for the mature spawners closer to the rivers in August when they are conserving energy and refuse to touch a fast bait.

Back