Stabicraft going to build in NA

ILHG

Crew Member
I'm happy to see Sabicraft dropping an anchor in NA

That 2750 ultra would work awesome. How much are these things?

I think prices will change once they don't have to Shipp them from New Zealand. Should be cheaper and competitive with other builders. I would love the 2750 for my next boat. Man I can't wait.

I really like StabiCrafts

We looked at buying a StabiCraft before we started our build. Stabi NZ told me Galleon would be a dealer and when I called them if I remember correctly they were going to have boats last year. At that time we were still looking around and the taxes and duty to bring in a Stabicraft were pretty steep,

We tried to buy one from the dealer in WA State and they were a challenge to deal with. I wanted to buy a boat from them and buy my trailer and motor in Canada and have the boat rigged here. The sales guy told me that that type of purchase was not in the cards and hung up.

The price of used newish StabiCrafts that had the shipping and duty (boat not built in US Canada and Mexico) built into them may take a bit of a drop , but there are so few StabiCraft' s around that the group of knowledgeable buyers will still have to pay a good price.

The Chinese knock offs will not fare as well when buyers can see the real deal.

I’m planning on selling my 19.5 ft 2008 Stabicraft sometime next summer. Looks just like the 1850 only longer - don’t think they make them any more. It’s the orange one with a 150 Suzuki and kicker, not fitted out for fishing, as we have used it as a commuter boat to get to our island north of Campbell River. It’s a great boat - we are only thinking of selling as it has become hard to pack all of our stuff in and out of our cabin. Price tba.

I think prices will change once they don't have to Shipp them from New Zealand. Should be cheaper and competitive with other builders. I would love the 2750 for my next boat. Man I can't wait.
Order it for after aug 1st please! then you can drive it across to sooke and I’ll be waiting at the dock for you to pick me up.

Not sure what the availability is but I see that Gibbons Motor Toys is now a dealer. Their web site says they are taking orders for 2022.

I always wanted a StabiCraft, but they were impossible to get (us dealers wanted you to buy boat, motor and trailer from them) and the importation duties for New Zealand built boats are silly.

I looked at the Gibbons website and they will I expect be revising their options and pricing sheet and separating the boat motor and trailer to try and work around the proposed luxury tax on boats.

Overview – Luxury Tax Rates and Points of Imposition​

The Luxury Tax would apply to deliveries in Canada by way of sale or similar arrangement, as well as importations into Canada, of new cars and new aircraft priced over $100,000, and new boats priced over $250,000 (the price thresholds, respectively). These goods (irrespective of their price) are sometimes referred to as select goods in this technical paper. In relation to deliveries in Canada, the Luxury Tax would apply if the total price (which would include charges and fees, but not include the applicable GST/HST or provincial sales tax) of the select good at the retail level exceeds the relevant price threshold. In relation to importations into Canada, the Luxury Tax would apply if the value of the select good (as determined for the purposes of calculating GST/HST on imported goods) at the time of importation exceeds the relevant price threshold. The Luxury Tax would be calculated as follows:

• for vehicles and aircraft priced over $100,000, at the lesser of 10% of the total price of the vehicle or the aircraft and 20% of the total price above $100,000; and
  • for boats priced over $250,000, at the lesser of 10% of the total price of the boat and 20% of the total price above $250,000.
A 25 foot StabiCraft easily get into that +250K range with options especially the way Gibbons is putting motors and trailers into the base price

Lets say the price gets to 275,000

PST 250K @ 7% 17,500

GST 250K @ 5% 13,750

Luxury Tax

Lesser of 10% of total Price, 10% of 275K = $27,500

or 20% of price over 250K 20% of 25K = $5,000

Total tax owing $36,250 or 13.18 % of the list price of the boat.

Now let's look at the high end boat building industry in BC, along with used luxury boats.

Coastal Craft has a used Profish for sale for 1.2 million USD or 1,525,440 at todays Canada Customs rate

PST 1525440 @ 7% =$106,780
GST 1525440 @ 5% = $76,272

Luxury Tax

Lesser of 10% of total Price, 10% of 1,525,440 = $152,544

or 20% of price over 250K 20% of 1,275,440K = $ 255,088

Tax on the used ProFish 106,780(PST) +76,272 (gst) + $152,544 (luxury tax) = $355,596 in tax or 21.9 % of the list price of the boat

I always wanted a StabiCraft, but they were impossible to get (us dealers wanted you to buy boat, motor and trailer from them) and the importation duties for New Zealand built boats are silly.

I looked at the Gibbons website and they will I expect be revising their options and pricing sheet and separating the boat motor and trailer to try and work around the proposed luxury tax on boats.

Overview – Luxury Tax Rates and Points of Imposition​

The Luxury Tax would apply to deliveries in Canada by way of sale or similar arrangement, as well as importations into Canada, of new cars and new aircraft priced over $100,000, and new boats priced over $250,000 (the price thresholds, respectively). These goods (irrespective of their price) are sometimes referred to as select goods in this technical paper. In relation to deliveries in Canada, the Luxury Tax would apply if the total price (which would include charges and fees, but not include the applicable GST/HST or provincial sales tax) of the select good at the retail level exceeds the relevant price threshold. In relation to importations into Canada, the Luxury Tax would apply if the value of the select good (as determined for the purposes of calculating GST/HST on imported goods) at the time of importation exceeds the relevant price threshold. The Luxury Tax would be calculated as follows:

• for vehicles and aircraft priced over $100,000, at the lesser of 10% of the total price of the vehicle or the aircraft and 20% of the total price above $100,000; and
  • for boats priced over $250,000, at the lesser of 10% of the total price of the boat and 20% of the total price above $250,000.

or 20% of price over 250K 20% of 1,275,440K = $ 255,088

Tax on the used ProFish 106,780(PST) +76,272 (gst) + $152,544 (luxury tax) = $355,596 in tax or 21.9 % of the list price of the boat
Bill 310, do you know what the duty rate is for NZ made boats?

I've looked through many documents and have not been able to find the HS code for alloy boats let alone the duty rate from NZ.

I'm considering a Stabicraft Ultra Cab 2500 XL, just checking numbers to see if buying in Washington State and importing would be worth the effort.

The price difference looks to be about $30,000 CAD less to buy a US boat even with the unfavourable exchange rates right now, so wondering if duty would eat up the difference.

Bill 310, do you know what the duty rate is for NZ made boats?

I've looked through many documents and have not been able to find the HS code for alloy boats let alone the duty rate from NZ.

I'm considering a Stabicraft Ultra Cab 2500 XL, just checking numbers to see if buying in Washington State and importing would be worth the effort.

The price difference looks to be about $30,000 CAD less to buy a US boat even with the unfavourable exchange rates right now, so wondering if duty would eat up the difference.
It would be under the free trade agreement it might be here by the find feature doesn’t work on my phone. https://www.iilj.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/CPTPP-consolidated.pdf

@Bill 310 thanks for the summary. Luxury boat companies are really big industry in BC I don’t know why they aren’t better at raising hell about this.

It would be under the free trade agreement it might be here by the find feature doesn’t work on my phone. https://www.iilj.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/CPTPP-consolidated.pdf

@Bill 310 thanks for the summary. Luxury boat companies are really big industry in BC I don’t know why they aren’t better at raising hell about this.
Thanks for the info, the document didn't have the info I needed but it helped me do a better search and found this.

Looks like the import duty went from 9.5% in 2021 to 0% going forward from 2022 onward if I am reading that correctly.

Cheers,

David.

Thanks for the info, the document didn't have the info I needed but it helped me do a better search and found this.

Looks like the import duty went from 9.5% in 2021 to 0% going forward from 2022 onward if I am reading that correctly.

Cheers,

David.
Boom, another reason for use to take out the boat luxury tax. What might cost 240k to build overseas might cost 275k in Canada. What a short sited tax.

Sorry for the late response, but you seem to have received far better answers than I would have provided.

We are in St. John's NFLD, and have been here since Thursday (arrived the weekend prior and are here till Saturday). We avoided the storm (canceled our trip to Fogo) and after out early trip into Gros Morne and up to Gander we have been hanging out in St. John's.

The new 0% tariff was news. I wonder if there is a NZ to Canada direct rule on that.

Sorry for the late response, but you seem to have received far better answers than I would have provided.

We are in St. John's NFLD, and have been here since Thursday (arrived the weekend prior and are here till Saturday). We avoided the storm (canceled our trip to Fogo) and after out early trip into Gros Morne and up to Gander we have been hanging out in St. John's.

The new 0% tariff was news. I wonder if there is a NZ to Canada direct rule on that.
Wow, good that you were mostly unaffected by the storm.

I was surprised to see the Duty Rate for NZ made boats reduced to 0%, should help the retail price here for sure.

If you click the link I provided and scroll down, it shows the rates for Most Favoured Nations (MFN) and the Trans Pacific Trade Agreement
(CPTPP).
I've imported a Milling Machine and Lathe from Taiwan recently and had to go through a similar deal, buying through a US dealer and having it drop shipped here.
The hard part is getting the correct HS codes, the broker I used took 4 days to find all the codes, once I had all the HS codes for the different items
things went pretty quickly.

BTW I have a friend who works for Stabicraft and I've asked him if he can comment on the article posted above, hopefully he can clarify if they are still proceeding with manufacturing in WA State.

David.

Wow, good that you were mostly unaffected by the storm.

I was surprised to see the Duty Rate for NZ made boats reduced to 0%, should help the retail price here for sure.

If you click the link I provided and scroll down, it shows the rates for Most Favoured Nations (MFN) and the Trans Pacific Trade Agreement
(CPTPP).
I've imported a Milling Machine and Lathe from Taiwan recently and had to go through a similar deal, buying through a US dealer and having it drop shipped here.
The hard part is getting the correct HS codes, the broker I used took 4 days to find all the codes, once I had all the HS codes for the different items
things went pretty quickly.

BTW I have a friend who works for Stabicraft and I've asked him if he can comment on the article posted above, hopefully he can clarify if they are still proceeding with manufacturing in WA State.

David.
Yeah for all the complaining we do as Canadians, our politicians are better than American ones at getting free trade deals done! I usually just play dumb when I'm standing at customs when they ask for the HS Codes, if you say you are personally importing something, they rarely make you look it up, but I'm not touching lathes and milling machines.

Apparently, ACB used to make them in WA and then started building their own versions. There is a new version of the company that primarily builds commercial gillnetters for Alaska now. https://www.instagram.com/ntgfabricationinc/?hl=en https://www.thehulltruth.com/boatin...num-compartment-boat-can-someone-explain.html

Yeah for all the complaining we do as Canadians, our politicians are better than American ones at getting free trade deals done! I usually just play dumb when I'm standing at customs when they ask for the HS Codes, if you say you are personally importing something, they rarely make you look it up, but I'm not touching lathes and milling machines.

Apparently, ACB used to make them in WA and then started building their own versions. There is a new version of the company that primarily builds commercial gillnetters for Alaska now. https://www.instagram.com/ntgfabricationinc/?hl=en https://www.thehulltruth.com/boatin...num-compartment-boat-can-someone-explain.html
Just heard back from my friend and he confirmed Stabicraft will be manufacturing boats in Washington State starting in November 2023.

David

Hopefully they are teaming up with the local college in port Angeles and ramping up training of welder fabricators. I know they have or had a good instructor but almost all the builders are looking people.

Stabicraft seem to have flown “the captain” the YouTube channel in to film clients up and down the west coast. Amazing marketing especially compared to what we see from other builders on the west coast.

Boom, another reason for use to take out the boat luxury tax. What might cost 240k to build overseas might cost 275k in Canada. What a short sited tax.
That’s the way this group works

Yes know the codes is important

When we were doing a lot of riding I was bringing in motorcycle tires from the US.

It was when Nexus had the cards you filled out and non dutiable items were Class 7.

The customs agent sent me inside, closed his booth (Point Roberts) and proceeded to pull my Nexus card. I asked for the supervisor and had them get down the duties and tariff manual . He proudly showed me that they weren't excluded and I asked him to turn the page., Motorcycle tires were a single line item at the top of the next page.

I got my card back and the record scrubbed.

Two weeks later my wife went down to pick up the rest of the tires 3 of use were riding to Inuvik (2009) and TKC 80's were hard to find.

She comes home with a receipt for a fine and a note in her file. I head back down with her card, the receipt and the letter. Speak to the supervisor, ask him to bring the agent in from the booth for an explanation. Yep it was the same guy as before. I got the rend , my wife's record cleared and an apology.

We moved our mailbox to Blaine immediately.

Just before Corvid began I am crossing from Blaine back into Canada . Pull up to the booth and my "friend " is in the booth. now this is 8 years later. He sends me in for a full inspection. They take seat off bike remove saddlebags, the full meal deal. I took my book inside to read .

I was cleared and after I thanked the guys for letting me put my bike back in a rideable condition. I thanked the guys again and said I would like to speak to the Agent in Charge, I assured the guys that they had been great.

I go in and wait about 10 minutes the boss comes over and I tell him how great his staff were taking my bike apart, and then I tell him the Blaine Story and mention that I was sent in by the same officer and did he notice all the motorcycles in the inspection area,

He asked me to wait as he wanted to check something, he came back thanked me and said he would look after that problem. I never saw that Agent at Peace Arch again.

Back