St jeans processing

morganic

I'm thinking of taking some fish to st Jeans for processing. For those of you that have used them before is there anything you quite liked( lox,candy etc) or anything you found that you didn't care for. Wife and parents want there freezers back mo

I find their cold smoke too salty.

Their Indian Candy is great!

They accept legal fillets for processing saving some bucks

you pay by the lb so fillets is the way to go , they make excellent candy , smoked & canned , don’t be in a hurry to get your fish takes about a month, have also taken them
whole tuna to smoke & can .

you pay by the lb so fillets is the way to go , they make excellent candy , smoked & canned , don’t be in a hurry to get your fish takes about a month, have also taken them
whole tuna to smoke & can .
Yeah I forgot to mention the canned part. I get a lot done there

The candied is good. Not Nog good but I can hammer back a bag in short order. Skin on is a nice change. I haven't tried it but I hear the canned is salty.

Candied is good so is either straight canned or smoked and canned. I normally get a bit of candied each summer and then the bulk is 50% canned and 50% smoked/canned. The nice thing about the smoked in a can is that if company show up unannounced you can pull a tab on a can, add cheese and crackers and have snacks instantly. Otherwise frozen smoked ,,,,well is frozen lol I'll take a couple of tins of smoked salmon to a party or to barbi invites as well. It always goes over well at either.

Why not learn to can and smoke your fish yourself? Canned salmon last a while and will get it out of the freezer. You catch a lot of fish so might as well learn all the tricks to preserve it.

My buddy that I fish with sends all his fish to st jeans. I like to do it by myself. I highly doubt you are getting your salmon when you send it to st jeans. You’re just getting the same weight and type back in return

Thanks for the input. Dropped fish off at they're yvr location today. Had 52 pounds so with the 10lb min I figure id try 5 different styles.
Have all the canning equipment in bamfield and will be looking for a smoker to do some myself.
I don't eat much myself but do use it for gifts,
friends bbqs and payoffs. Usually to neighbors when the wifes parties go all night.
Thanks again mo

Thanks for the input. Dropped fish off at they're yvr location today. Had 52 pounds so with the 10lb min I figure id try 5 different styles.
Have all the canning equipment in bamfield and will be looking for a smoker to do some myself.
I don't eat much myself but do use it for gifts,
friends bbqs and payoffs. Usually to neighbors when the wifes parties go all night.
Thanks again mo
Pretty sure canning anywhere besides your permanent place of residence is illegal

It is the law that you get your own fish back and they have government inspectors checking. Every tin has a number made with a sharpie on the bottom and corresponds to your order. When I give them 1/3 red and 2/3's white spring that is what I get back...always.

My wife buys me the smoked Albacore, smoked oysters and a can of their clam chowder for Christmas each year. Like them all...the oysters are way better than the store bought cans.

Back