SRKW - New Research Findings on Prey Availability

searun

The decline of southern resident killer whales (Orcinus orca) may be due to a shortage of prey, but there is little data to test this hypothesis. We compared the availability of prey (Chinook salmon, Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) sought by southern residents in Juan de Fuca Strait during summer with the abundance and distribution of Chinook available to the much larger and growing population of northern resident killer whales feeding in Johnstone Strait. We used ship-based multifrequency echosounders to identify differences in prey fields that may explain the dynamics of these two killer whale populations. Contrary to expectations, we found that both killer whale habitats had patchy distributions of prey that did not differ in their frequencies of occurrence, nor in the size compositions of individual fish. However, the density of fish within each patch was 4–6 times higher in the southern resident killer whale habitat. These findings do not support the hypothesis that southern resident killer whales are experiencing a prey shortage in the Salish Sea during summer and suggest a combination of other factors is affecting overall foraging success.

Good to see some objective research on prey availability. Also good to see that many recreational boaters are doing a good job avoiding killer whale encounters - the number of incidents is way down. People are shifting their habits on the water to avoid whales rather than drive over to look at them! Making a difference.

So Global has two articles in this link. The first is a video clip that tugs on the heart strings about the loss of two southern residents this year.
The other is a print story about the headline on prey availability.
Why did we need the video clip unrelated to story headline??? My guess is it didn't fit their narrative....

Recent studies of the SRKW poop show just how inbred and messed up this group of orcas are. Google this info and you will be amazed at the findings.

Can hardly wait for them and the NGO responses.

well it's not front and center on there facebook page like every other UBC study.

Misty? misty? where are you.....

This is very good news! It is some proof that things are not as bad as the ENGO's are constantly making out and saying that the public fishery needs to be shut down!

The DFO will likely respond with silence, leaning back hoping the general public remains uninformed. This keeps them in a position of power on decision making on all things salmon and the environment. NGO's will enjoy this silence.

NGO's will take a 5 to 10 days to respond and their response will shift from science to politics. Points will be made such as the majority of BC'ers support restricting fishing to protect the SRKW's. And then they may suggest that DFO is in bed with the sport fishing as an industry and the portion of sport fishing that makes money will be highlighted siting greed and capitalism at the expense of the whales and environment. DFO funded the study so there will be a conflict of interest there. This will spark anger in the uniformed public which in turn will donate money to NGO's

Did I miss anything?

Notice a little silence on this thread?

NGO's will lobby government for more research on the issue siting potential flaw(s) in the study or different angles of approach. This will cost taxpayers $$$ and researchers of all strips will benefit.
Let's not forget, the SRKW issue has been used for multiple environmental issues including anti oil, shipping, marine traffic, and more.

I don't expect much change to come from this study result for sport fishing or anything else.

I’m pretty interested in the unexpected findings in the Marine Mammal Centre study. I hope this helps the case for longer fishing seasons for chinook.

From CBC report of Oct 12th,

“A team from the University of British Columbia says the assumption that southern resident killer whales are in decline due to lack of chinook salmon in Canadian waters does not hold up under scrutiny.

Instead, their new study suggests declining chinook stocks are only part of the problem facing the critically endangered orcas, and that researchers need to look beyond the Salish Sea for answers.

Andrew Trites, the study's co-author and director of UBC's Marine Mammal Research Unit, called the findings published earlier this month in the Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences unexpected.

I'm in agreement w BN on the likely next strategy to be employed by the marine mammal lobby, but I'm a little more hopeful about about the outcome as in the past year or 2 other user groups and experts have weighed in on the Chinook issue and voiced their concerns and opposition to the unsupported assumptions from the mm lobby. I don't see that change weakening, but instead strengthening - and now there is some science to confirm & support those opposing comments. Now is the time (IMHO) to call-out and squash those unsupported and false narratives from the mm lobby. And - don't forget today is the last day to submit comments to DFO over the Pacific Integrated Marine Mammal Management Framework (attached). Send comments to Lee Harber (Lee.Harber@dfo-mpo.gc.ca) by TOMMORROW October 15, 2021:

Pacific Region Integrated Marine Mammal Management Framework
Review Guidance

Thank you for taking the time to review the draft Pacific Region Integrated Marine Mammal Management Framework. As a key partner in marine mammal work, we are sharing this initial draft Framework with you and welcome any comments or feedback that you might have. Your input will be considered as we move towards finalizing the Framework that will be published on our website.

Comments should be provided to Lee Harber (Lee.Harber@dfo-mpo.gc.ca) by October 15, 2021 using the form below.

Does this document meet the goal of transparently sharing information about jurisdictions, management activities, roles and responsibilities, and biological and ecosystem considerations that make up the Department’s integrated management approach? If not, where are the gaps?

Is the information, language and organization of the information approachable and clear? If not, what are some suggestions you might have?

Are there additional elements or information that you would like to see included?

Have you found any information that is incorrect or misrepresented?

Do you have any other comments that you would like to share?

Summary of Feedback

Name of Reviewer and Affiliation:

General comments:

Specific comments (please indicate the row in which the edit corresponds to in the document):

Submission information: please submit this form with your feedback to Lee Harber (
Lee.Harber@dfo-mpo.gc.ca) by October 15, 2021.

Attachments

• Attachment 1-Pacific Integrated Marine Mammal Management Framework_Draft.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Oops. I missed that. My bad.

Revert back to a plethora of previous study’s apposing the results of the study in question, lacking any explanation of why those studies are better.

Oops. I missed that. My bad.

Revert back to a plethora of previous study’s apposing the results of the study in question, lacking any explanation of why those studies are better.

"owing the importance of these runs to the whales and the ongoing advocacy to promote recovery of these salmon runs."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They are upset that it may hurt their funding

Back