squid fishing

nedarb2

is it season yet for a few squid to be showing up?
anybody care to share any tips/tricks..
im going to give it try this wekend if they might be aroung; and from my understanding you just put light into the water and they will be attracted to it and then you ude squid jigs on them

I just go to the marina late at night sometimes and there is schools of them swimming around. I attach a weight on the bottom and have 3-4 trebles and just snag em. Its cool watching the seals feed on them i even saw a big ling about 5 feet down in 30ft of water eating them. Do they make good hali bait?

I just used an anchovy in a #500 Krippled Anchovy holder and a HotSpot flasher :D

Took an hour for the guy to get it to the boat! Too bad the hook pulled loose with a chunk of tentacle :(

Lots of guys in Tahsis were hooking big Humboldt Squid last August.

Those big Humboldt Squid are supposed to be real tasty but are a bit of work to clean right.

Never fished the small ones though I have seen them.

I was doing it june-july in nanoose i hear they come into french creek in huge numbers sometimes. I wasnt there targeting them but when i saw them i had to jig a few up. Ill load up this summer for bait/calmari. They are the small ones like this

salmonprawnsquid.jpg

I'm afraid Kelly wins with the tastier Squid with me.[:p] I've tried and caught them and ate and bait them. Here's an idea, try the search on Squid in upper rh there is a ton of reading and prev posts with links too...... It is alot of fun and be prepared to stay up late!:D

I usually go the first two week ends in May. I take the kids down to the dock in Maple Bay. Dont bother going down before 10:00.

Kelly,I couldn,t find my glasses but that looked i a large prawn.Not sure but did i see 2 antennas

Back