Sport fishing is big Business

I'm more than happy with the SFI Their mission pretty much nails it. As a lobby organization the SFI has been very active in issues that are of considerable importance to me personally.

That at said, I'm very concerned that the recreational sector remains vastly divided. We really need to find a way to better coordinate our lobby efforts. I don't think the solution is in finding any one umbrella organization, but rather convincing all these great organizations to come together to coordinate efforts under an agreed upon strategy. Amazing things can happen when we do align efforts on core agendas we all agree upon.

Interesting that David Suzuki has 7 lobbiests working for him in Ottawa.
All the groups mentioned that are working on behalf of sportsfishing have 0 people working in Ottawa.

There is no leader out there to take a group to the next level.
The commercial sector has solved this, i am amazed that the guides, lodges or tackle industry who make a living off sportsfishing have not stepped up. After all this is their buisness??

Does not appear to be a good way to run a buisness?
Jimmy Patterson never ran his buisness like this. He still lobbys in ottawa as that is where the real decisions are made.

So if this is your buisness are you really involved or just waiting for someone else to run your buisness for you?
And if you are only a part time person, then loosing the money you make guiding does not matter.

Interesting how many people who donate time and effort on this are volunteers with no financial adjenda.

All the groups mentioned that are working on behalf of sportsfishing have 0 people working in Ottawa.

The commercial sector has solved this, i am amazed that the guides, lodges or tackle industry who make a living off sportsfishing have not stepped up. After all this is their buisness??

Jimmy Patterson never ran his buisness like this. He still lobbys in ottawa as that is where the real decisions are made.

So if this is your buisness are you really involved or just waiting for someone else to run your buisness for you?
And if you are only a part time person, then loosing the money you make guiding does not matter.

Interesting how many people who donate time and effort on this are volunteers with no financial adjenda.

You are exactly right. It is very concerning that the folks that make money from the industry don't do more to ensure a stable future. I understand that they probably don't have the time to volunteer, but from what I know and have heard, there isn't enough financial support from the guides, lodges, retailers, wholesalers, etc. If you can't open your schedule, at least open your wallet. I guess the situation isn't dire enough YET.

Coming from someone who once made money in the industry..lol

Yup, the facts are not nice are they.

Yup when i was in the industry i put in money and time to try and help. I also did so when i was not making money from the industry.

Never understood why the others did not get involved or care until they were about to loose parts of it,Like coho and halibut.
Well you and the others better start to get involved before you loose a lot more. Lets just think about crabs, shellfish,
more cod, more closed areas to fishing. It is going on and on.

Hey Dave what's all that "they" talk? We as rec fishers should all be putting something back into he resource. I challenge you to open your wallet too. You might want to take a close look around to see what the industry puts back in. All the lodges I place guests into raise funds for the PSF, not to mention I have personally donated charters every season to help raise funds and I know many other guides who do the same. I also personally worked donating who knows how many days and weeks of my time leading habitat restoration projects on the Squamish River. I dare say that I'm not alone because many of my guide buddies also do similar things because they believe in putting something back into the resource.

Next time you are at a PSF dinner or BCWF dinner and you see donations being raffled off, take notice where a lot of that came from. I think think these are good examples of how both rec fishers and the guide industry can worked productively together for a common goal.

If you think that is a waste of time I will stop donating.

Yup, the facts are not nice are they.

Yup when i was in the industry i put in money and time to try and help. I also did so when i was not making money from the industry.

Never understood why the others did not get involved or care until they were about to loose parts of it,Like coho and halibut.
Well you and the others better start to get involved before you loose a lot more. Lets just think about crabs, shellfish,
more cod, more closed areas to fishing. It is going on and on.

I would agree with some of your statement until you point your finger at the "You and others better get started" Come on man, stop taking the bitter pills an put your expertise to good work & help get this organized then ?

Hey Dave what's all that "they" talk? We as rec fishers should all be putting something back into he resource. I challenge you to open your wallet too. You might want to take a close look around to see what the industry puts back in. All the lodges I place guests into raise funds for the PSF, not to mention I have personally donated charters every season to help raise funds and I know many other guides who do the same. I also personally worked donating who knows how many days and weeks of my time leading habitat restoration projects on the Squamish River. I dare say that I'm not alone because many of my guide buddies also do similar things because they believe in putting something back into the resource.

Next time you are at a PSF dinner or BCWF dinner and you see donations being raffled off, take notice where a lot of that came from. I think think these are good examples of how both rec fishers and the guide industry can worked productively together for a common goal.

If you think that is a waste of time I will stop donating.

I open both my wallet and my schedule for the cause. And I am relatively new to sportfishing. Saying that, I probably should never had called out people in the industry the way I did. It is probably related to my involvement with a local lobby group and the apparent lack of support from said guides, retail, wholesale, etc. Kinda disappointing.

The ad-hoc BC Sport Fishing Coalition that came together for the trip to Ottawa in 2008 and again in 2010 over the halibut allocation issue is a perfect example of our sector coming together and getting results. Successes were the DFO/Prov/SFAB Recreational Vision document and the re-allocation of 3% of the Cdn halibut TAC. Alliances are powerful. SVIAC was not officially formed back then but our core group in Victoria was part of that coalition with all the other major groups. Everyone worked together well. Sadly, the coalition was formed as a reaction to negative policy from DFO and then disbanded after the advocacy campaigns ended.

Many anglers (but not all), for whatever reason, seem to be complacent and only react to an imminent threat of negative change. Buying an umbrella should be done in sunshine, its way too late going in to buy it when your soaked to the skin and the stores sold out. Being proactive is the best way.

At SVIAC, out of the gate we are dealing with issues that should have been addressed years ago by the others, but we are being proactive too. We are repairing damage on Chinook issues that should never have been allowed to deteriorate to that level. On the proactive side, we're sending a lobbying delegation to Ottawa this June, to utilize this pre-election opportunity. In 2013, we spent a lot of effort meeting local and regional politicians and getting our message out there. We have also planned for a lobbyist in Ottawa within 3 years. If we grow, build our membership and manage ourselves well, we can move faster.

SVIAC ... You would be correct, well said.. good to hear another group will be visiting Ottawa... I do think some also forgot that the Malcolm cases is still on going which is costing a very large amount of money from both BC wildlife federation & SFI... I believe in around $100,000 ...the out come will really effect pretty much all salt species down the road(crab,prawns ect) which we enjoy access too.

It is not a bitter pill but a reality check.
Unless all of the people get together and get behind a group that will get to the next level, then be prepared to lose more as the commercial sector already is in Ottawa.
If you do not have time to put into this then put in money.
There is no group out there that seems to make anyone happy??
You might want to try and resolve this as until you do nothing will get done.

QUOTE=Derby;330724]I would agree with some of your statement until you point your finger at the "You and others better get started" Come on man, stop taking the bitter pills an put your expertise to good work & help get this organized then ?[/QUOTE]

I would agree with you regarding the above statement (Not sure you are directing this directly at me or the general public?) do you have some insight on how one herds cat together under one umbrella ? Man has been trying to do this forever...not saying it cannot be done... I personal think it should be a small coalition of the core organizations that our supported and funded bye the membership which elects one person to be there bending the ear of Ottawa... (pointed out how well this worked a couple times bye SVIAC good post)) At this point no one has stepped up to put this together... Guess another question is funding ...its been hard enough to pull the shackles from the pockets of people for the Malcolm case (which is really important for those who don't know)...it still requires everyone help....BC Wildlife Federation & SFI would be grateful for any money you can donate to this costly court case....

Ok then, SVIAC wants to send a lobbiest to Ottawa in June. To fight for SEP budget, priority access for rec sector and Fraser Chinook recovery. That affects us all - up and down the entire coast. Expenses for a lobbiest say for a week, make it $5k. That should be an achievable fundraising target for us all here! Who is going to pledge? I as an average joe angler will throw in $100! If guides or lodges offered up free trips we could raffle and raise this amount very quickly. So, put your hand where your mouth is, I challenge you!!!

Now is the time to chip in and help out the fews that are willing to go to battle for all of us. And the SFI and BCWF and all the other groups should stand shoulder to shoulder with those guys and support them with everything they have instead of grumbling and seeing them as competition and trying to protect "their" turf! If they had been doing a fine job lobbying for us rec fishermen we may not have been in this situation we are in to begin with. Obviously something fell short and they should be happy that a new bunch of guys are willing to fill the gap. Anyway, my rant for today and who still does not get better switches to golfing.

Yours very disappointed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Calmsea. You picked $5000 out of the air. Well, before I commit to contributing, I want to see the plan. I want to know who the lobbyist is and what they intend to do. Who are they going to lobby? What issues are they going to present?
Is $5000 and a week's work going to be enough?

Now is the time to chip in and help out the fews that are willing to go to battle for all of us. And the SFI and BCWF and all the other groups should stand shoulder to shoulder with those guys and support them with everything they have instead of grumbling and seeing them as competition and trying to protect "their" turf! If they had been doing a fine job lobbying for us rec fishermen we may not have been in this situation we are in to begin with. Obviously something fell short and they should be happy that a new bunch of guys are willing to fill the gap. Anyway, my rant for today and who still does not get better switches to golfing.

Yours very disappointed![/QUOTE]

I know the main organization I belong too puts a group or sometimes just one person in Ottawa a year sometime twice a year for a visit depending on funding & personal available that are up to this task. This task is just not for everyone because I know a little more then most on this forum regarding most likely who you are looking at to go, I would believe he will do a good job representing your position and needs. Yes this benefits all those who angle in saltwater in the province of BC. but there is only so much money available to support Ottawa trip. For me the most important battle right now is the Malcolm case. If you need money for this trip your people know how to go about contacting the right people to ask for trips and funding. In all fairness I think its unrealistic to throw a hat out on this forum with very little details and expect everyone to line up throwing money out with out a plan or more details bye he way I don't even know you? I will go back to my original posts about herding cats under one umbrella... we need to be organized as a united one front with all players at the table.... I will be more then happy to throw some of my limit resources at that.... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yours very disappointed![/QUOTE]

It takes a LOT MORE than $5000 to do some lobbying in Ottawa. It's a full time job, try $100,000. We have great representation that is constantly working and that's who myself and most others support. I personally donate 5 trips a year for the cause as well as am a paid member of the SFI and Pacific Salmon foundation.......attend many SFAC/SFAB meetings as well as on the board of our own Salmon Enhancement Society. I have done all this for years, not just because i earn my living from sportfishing but i am concerned where fisheries management is headed.

Back