Sport Fishing Boat Sinks

Here it it in very simple words--- He is a professional and has taken all the required training to operate a boat and take paying customers on board. So for all those people that do not want to pay the higher cost of a guide boat because " my buddy can take you out" give your head a shake! you could be sitting at the bottom of the pacific with a boat today if it was not for this professional.

Cheers and tips up

Looks like getting one of those orange cone things (Forsepar true plug), a softwood bung set, and some of the “Stay a Float Moldable Polymer” as well as tools/hammer, ducktape, heavy plastic and rubber sheeting etc. is a good idea. That and regular inspection and maintenance.

The thru hull I just had replaced is in a very difficult location to inspect and work on, even out of the water.

Thanks for putting this up, Rockfish. 2 tons of water came in just a few minutes minutes. The thing that sticks in my mind is that the test is iunder ideal conditions. Can you imagine attempting any of the fixes in sea-going conditions?

3)As a boat sinks, the hole is deeper in the water, creating head pressure so the boat sinks quicker.

Sorry if I'm splitting hairs but the statement above is not true.
Never the less, if you are sinking assume you are sinking faster and faster.

You are correct in this circumstance: when the boat is essentially sunk and water is no longer moving in the pressure is balanced by water inside and outside at the same levels. As long as the water is flowing into a still-floating boat, displacing air and other buoyant material below the waterline, it will flow in quicker from a hole further below the water line. The Yachting crash boat video (Rockfish post) illustrates this point as the water flows from stem to stern.
This graphic is helpful - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_head

Another interesting article on stemming a flood - http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-articles/19349-help-were-sinking.html

From what it sounds like, this was a 19 foot boat, of recent construction, and it sank? I was under the understanding that all boats under 24 feet had to have enough floatation to stay afloat, even when flooded??? AM I wrong at the length that level float is not required?

I have always been under the understanding that the bigger risk in a swamped / flooded boat is that it will easily capsize due to the loss of freeboard.

All the same, stuff happens all the time. Last year there was 4 who died in that vicinity and no one knows how or why. All that could be said was no lifejackets were worn.

Having taken 6 inches of blue water over the bow before, and knowing how much gear and guys can weigh down a boat which is taking on water, it is good to see that the guests got off before things went even worse and panic sets in.

Drewski

I believe "Level floatation" is a USA standard in pleasure craft. I am not sure but I have never seen it in Canadian standards.

Back