sport fishing boat quality

Def look in washington state...some great deals down there right now....found a few for the boat we are looking at getting. Espeicially now the cdn dollar is so strong.

Def look in washington state...some great deals down there right now....found a few for the boat we are looking at getting. Espeicially now the cdn dollar is so strong.

Yes, the freeboard is an issue for sure; I don't want anyone falling overboard, especially me. :D The 2101 Striper (which I really like) seems to have enough freeboard, but some of the boats I've seen don't. The walkarounds do have smaller cuddies, but that's not an issue for me.

I have no intention of going out in bad weather, but I'm thinking that a self-bialer would be the ticket if I ever got caught in bad conditions. Properly equiped, I'm thinking I could safely go out a few times a year for some hali on a nice a day and not be pushing my luck.

I too have a 1/2 ton (4x4), which I'm quite happy with, so I'm thinking a 21 footer, not a 23. My truck is rated to pull 6500 pounds. With a one ton, I'm thinking somebody's planning on adding a camper to mix at some point, finaddict? [8D]

I'm also wondering about the best trailer to pull (and to stop). I've heard of stainless brakes, sometimes on all 4 wheels. I would rig stainless lines for sure, but I don't know much about stainless brakes. Nor do I know much about disc versus drum brakes for this application.

Yes, the freeboard is an issue for sure; I don't want anyone falling overboard, especially me. :D The 2101 Striper (which I really like) seems to have enough freeboard, but some of the boats I've seen don't. The walkarounds do have smaller cuddies, but that's not an issue for me.

I have no intention of going out in bad weather, but I'm thinking that a self-bialer would be the ticket if I ever got caught in bad conditions. Properly equiped, I'm thinking I could safely go out a few times a year for some hali on a nice a day and not be pushing my luck.

I too have a 1/2 ton (4x4), which I'm quite happy with, so I'm thinking a 21 footer, not a 23. My truck is rated to pull 6500 pounds. With a one ton, I'm thinking somebody's planning on adding a camper to mix at some point, finaddict? [8D]

I'm also wondering about the best trailer to pull (and to stop). I've heard of stainless brakes, sometimes on all 4 wheels. I would rig stainless lines for sure, but I don't know much about stainless brakes. Nor do I know much about disc versus drum brakes for this application.

I looked for 4 years before buying my last boat. I was not happy with any of the new fiberglass boats down here in Washington State. I have studied them at the boat show every year. The more I looked the more I liked the aluminum North River Seahawk Offshore, and disliked the fiberglass boats. I think most of the fiberglass boat builders have lost touch with what a fishing machine is. Marketing has ruined them. Lots of trip hazards built in the floor, small fishwells, little to no fishing deck, etc. I was impressed with the aluminum boats. They are fishing boats and the manufacturers get it. To get what I wanted in a new fiberglass fishing boat put me in the $250,000 on up fiberglass boats, that are out of my price range.

I went back to getting a 1993 2502 Trophy Walkaround. Nice deep V for big waves. I had a 1991 Trophy 20' Walkaround and absolutely loved the boat. I ran it hard for years off Neah Bay, Lapush and Westport. It help up great and have many trips that were 50 miles one way with huge seas many of the time. By the way no gel coat problems in these boats. I think the late 80s hade the gelcoat problems, but am not sure.

My new to me boat has a huge fishing deck, 48" big fishwells, icebox, sleeping quarters, and a head, with a 25' long with 9'6 beam and is a fishing machine. It has head room of about 6'8" with the extended hardtop and a big radar locker to fil with my electronics. It can take very rough water offshore with huge windchop and I feel very safe and comfortable. I take 4 fishermen with me when I go out after halibut, or kings. The boat really catches fish and we are all comfortable in a boat this size. We are halibut fishing 4 people at the same time with no problems. I opted for an older boat and am in the process of putting two new Suzuki 4 strokes on it.

It came with an aluminum I beam trailer and had vented rotor disc brakes on it. I had a king trailer on my old boat and the Tie Down Disk Brakes it came with were the single disk-disk brakes and were totally shot at 1700 miles. I had to upgrade to the vented rotor system that was not covered by warranty. The Tie Down single thin disk brake system has one disk brake pad of the two held on by screws. Once the brake pads wear down, the screw heads eat the rotor and give no noise to tell you. Also you cant get the screws out of the calipers. Mine only made it one year, before upgrading at my cost. Everything but the bearings were shot.

Make sure if your new trailer has Tie Down disks that you have the vented rotor system and rinse them religiously when you come out of the salt. I would do a search on www.boats.com if you are buying a used boat as they have lots of pictures to evaluate the boat. Another one is www.boattrader.com and of course craigslist down here, http://seattle.craigslist.org/boa/

Good luck with what ever you choose and hope you find the right boat for you.

I looked for 4 years before buying my last boat. I was not happy with any of the new fiberglass boats down here in Washington State. I have studied them at the boat show every year. The more I looked the more I liked the aluminum North River Seahawk Offshore, and disliked the fiberglass boats. I think most of the fiberglass boat builders have lost touch with what a fishing machine is. Marketing has ruined them. Lots of trip hazards built in the floor, small fishwells, little to no fishing deck, etc. I was impressed with the aluminum boats. They are fishing boats and the manufacturers get it. To get what I wanted in a new fiberglass fishing boat put me in the $250,000 on up fiberglass boats, that are out of my price range.

I went back to getting a 1993 2502 Trophy Walkaround. Nice deep V for big waves. I had a 1991 Trophy 20' Walkaround and absolutely loved the boat. I ran it hard for years off Neah Bay, Lapush and Westport. It help up great and have many trips that were 50 miles one way with huge seas many of the time. By the way no gel coat problems in these boats. I think the late 80s hade the gelcoat problems, but am not sure.

My new to me boat has a huge fishing deck, 48" big fishwells, icebox, sleeping quarters, and a head, with a 25' long with 9'6 beam and is a fishing machine. It has head room of about 6'8" with the extended hardtop and a big radar locker to fil with my electronics. It can take very rough water offshore with huge windchop and I feel very safe and comfortable. I take 4 fishermen with me when I go out after halibut, or kings. The boat really catches fish and we are all comfortable in a boat this size. We are halibut fishing 4 people at the same time with no problems. I opted for an older boat and am in the process of putting two new Suzuki 4 strokes on it.

It came with an aluminum I beam trailer and had vented rotor disc brakes on it. I had a king trailer on my old boat and the Tie Down Disk Brakes it came with were the single disk-disk brakes and were totally shot at 1700 miles. I had to upgrade to the vented rotor system that was not covered by warranty. The Tie Down single thin disk brake system has one disk brake pad of the two held on by screws. Once the brake pads wear down, the screw heads eat the rotor and give no noise to tell you. Also you cant get the screws out of the calipers. Mine only made it one year, before upgrading at my cost. Everything but the bearings were shot.

Make sure if your new trailer has Tie Down disks that you have the vented rotor system and rinse them religiously when you come out of the salt. I would do a search on www.boats.com if you are buying a used boat as they have lots of pictures to evaluate the boat. Another one is www.boattrader.com and of course craigslist down here, http://seattle.craigslist.org/boa/

Good luck with what ever you choose and hope you find the right boat for you.

with the subprime lending mess going on in florida. i would head down there, do a little swordfish and sailfishing then buy a boat at 1/2 price and haul her home!

with the subprime lending mess going on in florida. i would head down there, do a little swordfish and sailfishing then buy a boat at 1/2 price and haul her home!

Hi just my 2cents i've also have owned a few bay boats.My favorite might be a searay,they also are well built with a lot of different styles.sometimes you can pick a used one up cheap.good luck

Well boy's...heading south is the answer...just picked up a beauty....25' Grady with twin 4 strokes...awesome offshore machine and got for a song....just know what you want and know how to survey the boat for damage and your home free...the dollar is almost 1.04...getting close to covering the pst...most brokers down south are starving for the business...
The first thing people sell when the tap runs dry is their toy's...it's happening all over down there right now...

quote:Originally posted by richmake

Well boy's...heading south is the answer...just picked up a beauty....25' Grady with twin 4 strokes...awesome offshore machine and got for a song....just know what you want and know how to survey the boat for damage and your home free...the dollar is almost 1.04...getting close to covering the pst...most brokers down south are starving for the business...
The first thing people sell when the tap runs dry is their toy's...it's happening all over down there right now...

Good to hear Chad, That'll be a great fishing machine!! what are you doing with your other one?

quote:Originally posted by finaddict

I'd be interested in the name of a (or a few) goo dbrolers as well.
Lets try this again with skinnier fingers "I'd be interested in the names of a (or a few) good brokers as well"

Thanks

I'm hunting in the USA for a boat too. It never occurred to me to use a broker -- what do they do / how do they help?

I have my eye out for an Arima. I'm impressed by their layout and details on their construction. Those who like them seem to really like them -- which unfortunately means few are for sale.

I also like the look of the Trophy 1802, similar layout to the 17' Arima Sea Ranger, and about the same price (from what I've seen, I can possibly afford late 90s models of either).

Earlier posts mentioned Trophy's quality improving in recent years. I see they use fibreglass stringers now -- does anyone know what year that started? Rotten wood is something I want to avoid, having cracked the hull of an old double eagle a few years ago in conditions I had no business being out in (a post for the "close calls" thread maybe).

And if any Arima fans want to explain why I'd be crazy to buy a Trophy when I could have an Arima instead, I'd be happy to hear it (and vice versa of course). Preferably accompanied by a listing a good quality boat nicely priced... ;)

Any info most appreciated.

John

After reading these posts for a while I decided to do some checking on what the prices were really like in florida
www.everyboat.com use this link and pick florida. some crazy prices down there even for new. :D

Florida is a tough place to buy a boat...Hurricane damaged boats everywhere...
New Jersey and up the eastern side is a good place to start...
The best part about the boats from out that way is most guy's pull the boats out of the water for 6 months of the year,shrink wrap them then put them in covered or heated storage...
The sun and the humidity really take their toll on some of the boats frum the gulf side...just more to look out for.

thats why florida has such good deals!. literally millions of boats to chose from. you have to be very dilligent and do your homework. but the prices are half of what you pay in canada! not to mention the night time swordfish bite is awesome

I've found lots of smokin' deals on near-new (2000 to 2006) Trophies and Stripers, even on the West coast. I'll be looking to spend 20 to 30 big ones a year from now. Wish it were this year. :(

quote:Originally posted by richmake

If you bring the boat into the country commercially as you are using it for charters, you don't have to pay the PST and you write off your GST I believe. So that way it would just pay for paying down the boat, more money in the pocket :D ;).

I'm still watching those boat ads down south, although there's fewer ads these days as the weather gets cold.

I've been looking at Arimas. I like boat layout and from what I've read they are good quality. But hard to find a good one for a good price, seems people hold onto these.

For this style boat in 17-19' another similar model in similar budget class I've seen is the Trophy 1802. Earlier in this thread, people said Trophy's quality has improved lately. Not sure that will help me though, as my budget is probably year 2000 at best.

Another similar boat I noticed tonight is the Campion 542 Explorer. Anyone have any opinions on that boat or on Campion quality in general? I like that they use wood-less construction and have self-bailing cockpit. They also seem to go for a deeper-V hull than the Arimas, so maybe slightly better in seas?

Here's your chance to help a (relative) newbie avoid a mistake and shop more effectively...

Thanks for any opinions!

John

Back