Spin cast line

hambone

Is going with 20lb test power pro braid the best option out there for a steelhead/coho rod?? I've never tried casting braid but by the sounds of it the lower diameter can outcast mono and may even have better feel, like being able to feel if a spinner is rotating vs not knowing. For those using braid, do you have a mono leader? thanks for any suggestions/tips.

id answer you but there are a few round here that would shoot down anything i say to you about the braid vs mono

I use 30-50 lbs braid on my pin, Yuup thats right 30-50lbs braid. Casts sweet, no stretch, stays out of the water, take a beating too. Winter if the water is clear i use Maxima Cameleon 15lbs. The braid gets too stiff when its really cold and reels on square which becomes a pain in the butt. get snaged up sucks aswell. I run a 10-12 lbs leader.

I'll be switching to braid on my spin casters when they need new line. Give it a try and report back.

i use braid all the time rather like it

Is going with 20lb test power pro braid the best option out there for a steelhead/coho rod?? I've never tried casting braid but by the sounds of it the lower diameter can outcast mono and may even have better feel, like being able to feel if a spinner is rotating vs not knowing. For those using braid, do you have a mono leader? thanks for any suggestions/tips.

I love braid but don't like powerpro. Fireline or Sufix have been much more dependable in breaking strength for me. Use a mono or fluro leader approximately a foot less than rod length to start and then replace when it's less than three feet long. Once you use braid you'll think mono is like a rubber band. I'd say 30lb is probably about right for your target species. The only time braid might be a pain is braid will tip wrap the rod on a slack line much easier than mono say on an upstream cast with a float. Lots of guys recommend closing the bail manually on a spinning reel but I don't reel fish a spinning reel very often so I don't have enough experience to confirm / deny that recommendation.

i will confirm it you will need to manually close the bail

Been using Fireline for that purpose since it was invented-nothing better IMO-out using some tomorrow in fact.

Fire line has the advantage of not soaking up any water which can freeze the line to your rod tip. I've had the spiderwire braid snap on me a few times when really cold out so I definitely won't use that again. The only real draw back to braid IMO is when you get hung up, it can be real biatch to break off.

I run braid on my spincaster rod, its a 50lb spider wire and it casts like a dream.

I have used mono and braid for spinning. Each is good for most situations - however I find braid twists too much - even using a barrel swivel. Mono doesn't twist and if you keep the diameter down as much as possible you can feel your lure working almost as well as with braid. What I DO like about braid is that you can get very small diameter line which lets you cast really far.

Back