Line suggestions and pricing

Heavyc

I need some help with purchasing line for my rods this year. I want to respool them all so I need a fair bolt of line, also I'm looking to do a dual braid/mono on the trolling reels. I had heard that the tuffline xp is good for braid and I was going to do maxima for mono. On my casting rod I need a thinner diameter line to get the spool amount I like to have for casting for late august coho's.

I was planning to go online for the shopping but if there's somewhere on Van Isle that has as good a deal I'd gladly shop there.

I have 2 2000 gt shimano's to fill (planning 250yd 50lb braid 60yd 30 lb mono aprx) 1 penn 210 level wind for hali's and a penn 460l for casting.

Im guessing a 600yd of braid and 2x300's of mono would do it, but if Im better off getting 600 of 30lb and a seperate spool of 15lb for the casting reel I can swing that too.

So please critique my ideas and if possible provide suggestions on where to shop. I'd gladly welcome a trip to nanaimo to get it if harbour chandler or wholesale sports are a good deal. (mandatory stopover at longwood brewpub is essential of course)

Forget about putting on backing on and use just one type of line, after all you can aford it if you can pay for those type of reels. Just buy a 5000 yard spool of each type of line. Might cost you around $100 for each type but you will be able to fill your spools and have more when you re-spool them up the next following years. Just think of that big fish you might lose when it breaks on your knot between two different lines.

A trip out to Nanaimo dosen't hurt especially when you visit the Outdoorsman Warehouse. Could spend hours and $1000's there.

I'm no guide or anything but I do fish a bit. I'm not sure why you would want to troll for salmon with braided line at all. I found the mono has that bit of stretch to it and helps to keep the slack out of the line. I use the braid for jigging though cause of the no stretch and feeling the bite too. maxima and tuffline are a good way to go.

I use the Suffix 832 superbraid line, totally round and doesn't bind on itself like tuff line.

Forget about putting on backing on and use just one type of line, after all you can aford it if you can pay for those type of reels. Just buy a 5000 yard spool of each type of line. Might cost you around $100 for each type but you will be able to fill your spools and have more when you re-spool them up the next following years. Just think of that big fish you might lose when it breaks on your knot between two different lines.

A trip out to Nanaimo dosen't hurt especially when you visit the Outdoorsman Warehouse. Could spend hours and $1000's there.

Are you referring to Wholesale Sports? I live in Nanaimo and I've never heard of the Outdoorsman Warehouse?
Dave

tuffline xp is good stuff. trolling with braid gives a pretty direct, no stretch, connect to whatever you are dragging around. i like that no stretch idea as i believe the hookups are more certain than with mono which stretches more and more as you increase the number of feet of line you have out. i only use mono these days for leaders, all of my reels now have braid on them.

I always put 100 yds of backing on all my reels especially the shimanos had at least 10 or so blow up over the years then you can still put close to 250 yds of mono on
also then you dont use as much line and easier to replace always keep the backing on its just a huge cushion. you will not get spooled unless you get a seal LOL LOL
even then you have a 100 yds of backing to fight if you tied a good blood knot..
For line use what ever you like personal preference everyone like different lines so go with what you like.

Good luck wolf

I have 2 2000 gt shimano's to fill (planning 250yd 50lb braid 60yd 30 lb mono aprx) 1 penn 210 level wind for hali's and a penn 460l for casting.

I'm guessing those Shimano's are going to be hanging from those Penn DR's you acquired. The Old School method of spooling a mooching reel is a long fill of Mono (Maxima/Big Game 30 lb test) on top of a braided backing. The backing (cheaper and different from TUF Line/ Power Pro) prevents the Mono from shrinking and blowing up the spool. It would never really see the water as you have a long shot of mono in front. That is all you really need on a Downrigger set up as the feel you get from the expensive braid as the rod sits in the rod holder is not there. You can take them into River Sportsman or Tyee and get that done from their bulk spools, no wastage.

For the Halibut Rig, I'd go with Power Pro 80 lb. Power Pro is coated and TUF line is not. The TUF line drips a lot more and holds water. Both work fine.

High tech braid is expensive, more than worth it on a Halibut/Bottom fish set up.

Are you referring to Wholesale Sports? I live in Nanaimo and I've never heard of the Outdoorsman Warehouse?
Dave

Just trying to help out, vetteman, I know there is a warehouse out there, guess I should be more specific. Have been to the one out in Langley, but I just tried to guess at the name of it.

I haven't had trouble with the heavier Power Pro rolling under itself, but I have heard good things about Suffix also, so either would be a good choice. I wouldn't use backing with the braid, just put a piece of tape on your spool before you put the line on to keep it from slipping, and your good to go. As far as mono goes, I have had good luck with P-line. They make a lot of different varieties to suit different fishing situations.

I just re-loaded my new Scotty Riggers with 250 power pro - notice the green dye they use is leaching out onto my boat - has anyone else encountered this?

My hali reels which are loaded with Pline Spectrex IV Moss Green does the same thing Seems to go on for about a month or so gets over everything :-(

My hali reels which are loaded with Pline Spectrex IV Moss Green does the same thing Seems to go on for about a month or so gets over everything :-(

Thanks for that...ugly crap. Guess I'll have to get something different next time around.

As far as mono line goes I only use PLine flouro clear. I use it on trout rods and salmon rods, has all the fluorocarbon benefits with the cast ability of regular mono.

A little of track but to get that dye of the boat just use them Mr Clean majic erasers WORKS awsome on the boat use them for a lot of other things as well on the boat I dont know what sin them things , but very usefull..

Good luck wolf

Mustad line............ half the price of maxima - just as good and no to braid on the Islanders.

Back