SOS..save our salmon poster

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

I am not discrediting my self, I am only being honest. Ask yourself how many salmon would be swimming on the west coast right now if it weren't for hatchery programs. Also the gene pool of the salmon out there is so diluted and screwed up that it will never recover completely. Every major producing salmon area on the entire west coast of N America is supported by one or several hatcheries. That should tell you something. No spin involved....this is the truth.
quote: Hey Barbender, you ever thought of going down south and working for the Clintons
Depends...is Monica part of the deal?

While hatcheries vastly supplement depressed wild stocks, they have not been "gone for the most part for 30 years" That's what I was calling you on. I do agree that many wild stocks are in trouble, but they are not all gone. Sorry to jump on you over it, but when I hear a comment like that it makes me think that we have given up on whats left of our wild stocks. There is no way it's time to give up on them. There is still much that can be done to reverse the downward trends.

Here's my opinion on the current situation...The fact is, huge influxes of hatchery raised young salmon don't do the wild fish any favours. They compete for food habitat ect...Hatcheries were first created to suppliment the commercial fleet. One of the major flaws with that was that they still continued to fish mixed stocks. So when you have this artificial excess of hatchery salmon, DFO allowed huge alowable catches to reflect those expected escapments. At the same time, the wild stocks were bieng chiseled away with no replenishment. You've got to think, a healthy wild stock of coho in a small creek might only be 500-1000 fish total. One unlucky set from a seiner in Johnson Straight could wipe out the entire run from that system. As far a the gene pool being diluted and screwed up, sure in those hatchery systems and maybe some nearby wild systems...you could be correct. But how does that affect the rest of the wild stock? Honestly, IMO, the whole logic of relying on hatcheries as the savior of our salmon is flawed. I don't deney that we need them at this piont, but we really need to concentrate on rebuilding and conserving our wild stocks.

quote:"wild" fish disappeared for the most part 30 years ago.

Complete BS - yes the nootka sound fishery is mostly hatchery and there are many others like it - but the majority of chinook swimming in our waters are still wild.

Also there was a 2007 study that concluded that hatchery fish pose zero threat to wild genetics as long as the hatchery fish came from the same strain(river) of fish.

I saw that savebcsalmon lice fry poster on a big billboard ad today in Vancouver on Seymour Street at Robson today.

Kind of sad that the guy who probably owns the billboard company also profits from the herring harvest.

This quote from kisinana's post is gross...
"The industry is using frogmen, anti-lice baths, antibiotics, vaccines, and any other methods available to help fish farms and commercial fishing co-exist in harmony."
Sizzling up a fillet fresh out of the anti-lice bath. nom nom nom.

quote:Barbender I didn't know you where a chubby chaser, musn't be getting enough omega3 from those farm fish You might have to throw in a big fat cigar though

LOL...I was thinking more of her "other"abilities.

quote:While hatcheries vastly supplement depressed wild stocks, they have not been "gone for the most part for 30 years" That's what I was calling you on

To be honest I need to do a bit more research on this one. My impression is that most if not all of the rivers on the west coast are hatchery subsidized but I could be wrong (hey it happens once in awhile). I know Alaska is heavily into hatchery fish. I also thought most of the original genetic stock of wild salmon had been compromised in one way or another. Will do my homework and get back to you. If I have to eat crow I will bring my own fork.

Back